Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: PC and sizing

Boolit Bub

PC and sizing

I understand how critical sizing is when using straight cast bullets, but how critical does this become when powdercoating? This train of thought stems from the fact that most jacketed bullets are .355, even though there are huge variations in barrels out there. Someone please "school" me.

Boolit Master

One to two thousands over actual barrel ID. That means that if you know the measurement attained following "slugging" your barrel, just add 1-2 thousands.
    The critical part is, if you haven't already done it, is to slug your barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    One to two thousands over actual barrel ID. That means that if you know the measurement attained following "slugging" your barrel, just add 1-2 thousands.
    The critical part is, if you haven't already done it, is to slug your barrel.
    That does not address the topic at hand.

I am aware of lead sizing techniques, the question is how important this becomes when powdercoating is brought into the mix.

Vendor Sponsor

It applies the same way.. Slightly less critical But you will need to be at least .001 over actual bore size ..

I powdercoat for at least 11 calibers and it still need 001-003 over bore

PS the faster I push the bullet the larger overbore I go .. 800 to 1200 FPS usually .001 -002
    1600 FPS and Above.002- .003 overbore

and I get ZERO leading
    YMMV
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Jacketed bullets don't have to be sized larger than the bore because if gas cuts around it doesn't melt the jacket. PC can melt just like lead with gas cutting so must be a tight fit to prevent gas cutting

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You size lead boolits............you size PC coated lead boolits.

I use the same sizing dies for both. I size after casting AND after PC for most of the 6 cals I cast for.

Just proceed as usual......move along.....there is nothing to see here....

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't seen nor heard of PC melting off bullets. My PCed bullets shoot about as clean as jacketed bullets, and sizing is less critical. In my 7.65x54r, I size to .314" just to groove diameter, not over. No fouling. I size my PCed .44 Magnum bullets to .430" for shooting all my .44s. Groove diameter runs .4295" to .431", no fouling, melting...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    It applies the same way.. Slightly less critical But you will need to be at least .001 over actual bore size ..

I powdercoat for at least 11 calibers and it still need 001-003 over bore

PS the faster I push the bullet the larger overbore I go .. 800 to 1200 FPS usually .001 -002
    1600 FPS and Above.002- .003 overbore

and I get ZERO leading
    YMMV
    Great information, thanks!

Boolit Master

I have had leading with PC boolits when not sized properly. If the boolit doesn't seal the bore whether PC or lubed lead, leading will happen. Maybe you can get away with sizing equal to the bore but mine still cause leading if too small

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I haven't seen nor heard of PC melting off bullets. My PCed bullets shoot about as clean as jacketed bullets, and sizing is less critical. In my 7.65x54r, I size to .314" just to groove diameter, not over. No fouling. I size my PCed .44 Magnum bullets to .430" for shooting all my .44s. Groove diameter runs .4295" to .431", no fouling, melting...
    This has been my experience to. Two 44 mags lubed and sized to .430 both leaded, had to go bigger. Powder coated and sized .430 clean as a whistle. Have put powder coated bullets back in the lead pot and the lead would melt out leave the coating looking like a locus hull. The coating didn’t even change colors. Most of the pictures you see here the coating looks good after firing.
    Don’t think size is as critical with powder coated as with lubed, or it hasn’t been in my case.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    This was my initial impression. Throwing blems (PCd) back in a cold pot...takes a little bit to "burn off" the coating.

I am so glad I found out about PC'ing... I had cast around 800 to 1000 boolits for my 45-70 and for some reason they came out on the skinny side. They normally come out at 461 and I size to 460 but these ones came out around 4585 or a little bigger. My barrel slugged to .4575 but I was going to remelt them anyway because they were not my normal .460

Now they are all Powder Coated and sized at .460 and look awesome!!!

Thank you to everyone of you guys that have tried new things and found out what works and what doesnt.... you are innovators!!

Doc

I don't get leading often with undersized but I don't get accuracy either. I have gotten leading when undersized with 9mm using HiTek.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

10milg29
    I should have stated as well .. I shoot mostly rifle and am an accuracy freak . so my answer should have stated no leading and very accurate rds is what I look for ..
    you may get by in pistol rds with at/near bore size if only looking for blasting rds..but to get higher accuracy you will need better fitting bullets and trail and error load development
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In my relatively limited and small sample size I have not had leading or much difference between jacketed and pc as far as accuracy. This is off hand shooting and I will say that I'm not a great shot

TESTS show that Cured powder coat. Remelts at 1500 degrees over a 4 hour time frame.

The average temp of a high volicty round out of a .223 was tracked at 480 degrees.

Sources are Wikipedia.

At worst you can scrape lead off.

I don't think the extra diameter of PC matters. The diameter of the underlying lead of course is important.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    I don't think the extra diameter of PC matters. The diameter of the underlying lead of course is important.

The PC coating DOES matter in my book. It is akin to the old (and new) technique of paperpatching to gain size. The 1-2 thou thickness on the sides are hard....harder than the lead......and I have found you can gain that little extra "oomph" needed to get a tight fit. The PC does seal as we need. I size all my cals after casting and after PC'ing and get perfect performance from my boolits.

banger