Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Cherry, Plum for the smoker . . . Best wood?

Boolit Master

Wild Cherry, Plum for the smoker . . . Best wood?

Any issues using either of these to provide the smoker.

What do you consider the best?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I have used a lot of wild cherry for chicken and turkey. Never tried Plum.........Terry

Boolit Master
    Never used Cherry or Plum, I use Hickory and Apple mainly however that is what I was raised on so that is probably why I favor it so much.
    A friend stopped by from Texas and brought me 100 lbs or so of Mesquite, looking forward to giving that a go.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much all the nut woods and fruit woods are good for smoking.

Mesquite is my primary. Red oak for smoking beef. Hickory and Apple for pork. Cherry is good for smoking Turkey. Pecan is good for most anything. Never tried plum, but perhaps it would be good for lamb.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I use wild cherry all the time, its a good all around wood that you can mix with other types such as oak or hickory. The Plum I have never used but it should be a lot like apple or mulberry which I do use, a light wood that is good with chicken.
    -Toxie

Boolit Master

My favorite is hickory, but I've used Mesquite, it is a very strong flavor, don't use for chicken or something thin like ribs, it'll over power the meat. I did use some Apple last weekend for a couple of pork tenderloins we did for mothers day, good stuff.

Boolit Master
    I marinate chicken in italian dressing for a couple of hours, then smoke at 260* F over mesquite charcoal and hickory wood.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I've not used the cherry or plum so can't comment there. Being from middle Tennessee I'm kind of a hickory kind of guy. I did discover a couple of years ago that some bradford pear mixed in with my hickory gives the meat a sweet flavor. I'm thinking most any fruit or nut tree should work well.
    Rick

Boolit Man
    I prefer to smoke fish with alder and cherry mixed.it works well with trout. I would think the plum would work well and could be mixed with other wood as well.

Moderator Emeritus

Cherry and Plum can turn the meat really dark and be strong if not a clean burning fire. Smoldering wet fire is NOT good, smoke should be almost invisible blue.

Boolit Grand Master

My brother likes pecan but I like hickory, oak and mesquite. Mesquite burns hot so I won't usually use it for slow smoked meats.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I use peach/nectarine/plum and grape to smoke tri - tip almost every time. It's a very nice smoke flavor.
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master

Alder is a favorite here out west....dale

Boolit Grand Master

Plum is one of my favorites when I can get it. Like all woods, bark it first and I agree, you don't want a slow smoldering fire. I use what is available, right now that is about three cords of white oak, so I will be using a lot of that! I will be trading some of it with my best friend when he gets in some pecan.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    I love Peach & Plum especially for chicken. Recently I got an interest in trying White Mulberry,..... I have it but haven't given it a try yet
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I have a ton of pecan wood that falls out of one of my pecan trees (northern pecan) after every storm with high winds. I keep saying I'm going to try it but havn't yet.
    I use a Weber kettle grill for smoking and Weber genesis Silver for grilling. However I have been thinking about getting one of those "Egg" type smokers/cookers, I've seen what they can do and it's really great, but NOT for large smokes.

Boolit Master

Yes. As with all hardwoods, I remove the bark before cooking with it as the bark can impart a bitter taste. Hickory is my favorite.
    Make sure it's well seasoned.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Cherry and Plum can turn the meat really dark and be strong if not a clean burning fire. Smoldering wet fire is NOT good, smoke should be almost invisible blue.
    MaryB, I agree.

An old timer taught me this technique...and it's what I generally use, unless I'm up for experimenting.

For cooking with wood exclusively, I use Ash wood as the base fuel, as it has almost no flavor character to offer and burns fairly hot for a hardwood. I add sugar Maple wood at the end, especially for Pork, gives a sweetness to the smokiness whereas Hickory and Mesquite tend to be bitter. 15 minutes of heavy smoke from Sugar maple is about the Max I do, anything more will over powers most 'stout' meats, and lighter fair like Fish and chicken only need about 5 to 7 minutes of heavy smoke.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Try mesquite for catfish! You will think you died and went smoke heaven! The light flavor of the fish really soaks up the smoke on the grill. Do it skin down and do not turn. Cooks very fast and has a taste that will haunt you 'till it's gone.

I have used every hard & nut AMERICAN wood except oak and walnut. Oak smells (and tastes) like burning garbage and walnut can be toxic to some people (allergic reaction). I would also be leery of using any of those imported exotic woods from SA and overseas. They smell funny when you cut and turn in the shop and I would not want that flavor on my food! I work a lot of species of woods in my shop and use the scraps for smoking. I keep all my cherry veneer scraps also to use.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I have a ton of pecan wood that falls out of one of my pecan trees (northern pecan) after every storm with high winds. I keep saying I'm going to try it but havn't yet.
    I use a Weber kettle grill for smoking and Weber genesis Silver for grilling. However I have been thinking about getting one of those "Egg" type smokers/cookers, I've seen what they can do and it's really great, but NOT for large smokes.
    Changeling, get a Traeger! Best of all possible cooking methods. These will cook in wind, which charcoal burns up and cooks too hot, they come up to temps right away which the egg takes a good long while to get hot all the way through, they don't dry food like electric or gas does, they cook evenly from middle to ends which other grills will not do, you can choose hickory, apple, pecan, alder, cherry pellets, cookinpellets.com sells his "perfect mix" pellets which I use along with straight hickory.

Just about every positive advantage that each kind of BBQ cooking has, be it gas, electric, infared, charcoal, the Traeger has all of those, all wrapped into the same grill..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast