WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: things to look for

Boolit Master

things to look for

Ok guys, i have a new lee 6 cav 452-228 mold that I'm starting with. my first batch had a lot of wrinkles and were hard as a brick. i added some soww to soften it up and really got the mold hot before i started. now I'm getting well filled out but frosty boolits. i notice that a seam appears on many of them. really can't feel it but can see it. is this bad? I'm casting between 675 and 700 degrees. thx all

Boolit Master

The bulls eye will never even feel that seam, it also won't care about the frosty look.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    Frosty is good!
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    The seam is normal, and about impossible to completely avoid, even with very expensive molds. If you start to get a noticeable FIN on your boolits, then that would be a cause for concern. No worries, have fun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    twc - appears you don't own a thermometer, correct?
    OK, heat the pot melt and the mold so when you pour (however your doing it) ... the sprue puddle frosts in 5 seconds. HOLD THE POT TEMPERATURE THERE!
    That temperature will produce bullets filled out and not frosty
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    When you soften them up, you lower the melting temperature. They'll get frosted faster, it's getting hot if you have a seam. If you can't feel it under your fingernail by much, it will run through a lubersizer.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Frosty is good just don't go past that.a seem you can see and not feel is normal

Boolit Master
    John boy, i do have a thermometer but my lee pot jumps around like crazy. if. my thermometer says 675 degrees, itl frost in less than 2 seconds, really it frosts by the time i pull it from under the pot. at about 715 or so, i get 5 seconds or so before it frosts over. may be getting mold too dam hot i guess. il just keep on pluggin.

Boolit Grand Master
    Of all the pernicious falsehoods floating around, the one about needing a thermometer to cast good boolits is about as bad as any. The boolits will tell you if you are hot enough, and as you have already discovered, a non-PID Pot will jump around 30-50 degrees. I find it much easier to get good boolits from a Large Lee mold if I try for frosty, well filled, rather than shiny and rounded. A light frosting is a good thing; it means you are getting enough heat for good fill out. Now even beer is bad if too much is taken, so you can over do frosting, but for a 6 cavity 40+ caliber mold, it is hard to get consistent, good boolits without at least a bit of frost. At least if you have antimony in the melt.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Rintinglen, i do have antimony in the mix. I'm using 50 percent coww and 40percent lead pipe. added a bit of tin and a small ingot of lino to the mix. air cooling tbem also as they got hard as a rock when i tried water dropping them . a bit of a learning curve lol

Frosty the Boolit! Works for me!

Boolit Master

i added some soww to soften it up
    When you soften them up, you lower the melting temperature.

How do yo add pure (SOWW ) and lower the melting point ? when I add pure I raise the melting point.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters