MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: powder coating and polygonal rifling?

Boolit Mold

powder coating and polygonal rifling?

I'm sold on powder coating bullets for use in my rifles. So far they've worked great in my .22 Hornet, .223 Remington, .300 Blackout, .308 Winchester, and .35 Remington. I would also like to use cast bullets in my two 6.5 Grendels, but one of them is a Black Hole Weaponry barrel with polygonal rifling. As I understand it, cast bullets should not be used in polygonal rifled barrels. Would powder coating rectify/avoid this problem? I've tried contacting BHW, but they haven't responded.
    Come visit the BREN-TEN.com website and BREN-TEN.com forum for info and discussion on the Bren Ten and other 10mm firearms!

Vendor Sponsor

My Noveski 300 Blackout is Poly rifled and shoots pc'ed bullets just fine
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    My guess is it would probably be fine.

Important thing to remember is that the only real precaution is that you ought to check down he barrel for leading every now and then .

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot them trough my glock factory barrel no problem although not at you pressures

Boolit Buddy
    I also shoot lead through a factory glock barrel with no to little leading. I'm gonna put 150 through my glock today with powder coat, I will post the results.

EDIT: all 150 went just fine and no leading. bullets were sized to .357.
    Last edited by Spawn-Inc; 05-18-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicG3K View Post
    I'm sold on powder coating bullets for use in my rifles. So far they've worked great in my .22 Hornet, .223 Remington, .300 Blackout, .308 Winchester, and .35 Remington. I would also like to use cast bullets in my two 6.5 Grendels, but one of them is a Black Hole Weaponry barrel with polygonal rifling. As I understand it, cast bullets should not be used in polygonal rifled barrels. Would powder coating rectify/avoid this problem? I've tried contacting BHW, but they haven't responded.
    Shot over 600 rounds in two different Glock 19's today.. All stock..All were sized to .356 and coated with Harbor Freight ESPC using a 50/50 mix of WW and pure PB.

One of the Glock 19's has never seen a jacketed bullet... The other has 7000 cast slugs down the tube without any problem. PC is very forgiving no leading and no smoke. Additionally, we shot 200 rounds of Lead lubed with Alox and they shot well with no leading but it produced a lot of smoke and the bullets don't look cool.

Boolit Master
    Polygonal rifling and PC work well together. Then again I never had an issue with cast with traditional lube in glocks if they were kept clean.

I have shot PC in a .50 AE desert eagle w/o any issues with barrel fouling or gas system fouling. In fact the only issue that I had was in experimenting 2 coats was tried using ESPC and the second coat didn't stick very well to the first, flaking resulted. The flaking fell off and when it landed in the locking lugs it wedged itself between those and the barrel cuts and locked up the pistol. Oh well, this is why we test using different methods. The locking lugs in an AR are very similar in design to the eagle. It sounds like you have had good luck with it so far, just something to be aware of.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    Here's a video of results in polygonal rifling along with a couple of others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c-eOt68X6s

Ebner

Boolit Mold
    I shoot 15.3gr of h110 with the 155gr (.312 ak) bullets sized to .309 just fine. NO problems..

I push PC in Poly 9 and 45 at jacketed velocities. I did run into a little leading with my 9 with 50/50 alloy and wound up having to harden it up a little and that solved the issue. I could have slowed them down a little...but who wants to do that. 45 handles any alloy I throw at it.

My .357 sized coated bullets shoot two inch groups (25 yds) with ZERO leading through my KKM barrel. They lead horribly and make 10"'groups through my OEM Glock 17 barrel. I would love to figure out how to run coated through my factory Barrel for GSSF. I sorta wonder if polygonal will ever be as accurate with coated bullets as a traditionally rifled barrel?

I suppose I could play around with sizing, but definitely don't wanna waste Linotype to make it happen.

Boolit Master

I shoot PC's 6.5 Grendel through a polygonal barrel just fine.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    All I can say is so far from my own personal experience the PC boolits are shooting as clean as jacketed or plated. My alloy is typically in the 12-14 BHN range. I'm using HF red PC.

Motor