Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Purchasing a 300 blackout barrel

Purchasing a 300 blackout barrel

Looking at a possible purchase of a 300 blackout barrel at a local gunshow. Guy wants to sell a new complete upper, minus the bolt, 350 loaded rounds (j-word things), and will throw in a laser rangefinder, either a Bushnell or a Nikon 600 yard. He is asking $450.00 for the barrel, or $700.00 for the set. He seems like a motivated seller, so possibly talk him down more, or throw some more swag in.

Couple of questions: 1. Not knowing the barrel manufacturer, what should I be looking for.
    2. Would this be a good buy. 3. How hard is it to set up for this round. I already have several 30 cal. molds, but not dies. Not really looking for subsonic loads, just a good all around plinker/heavier round for the AR platform.

Thanks in advance.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I can tell I wouldn't get.

The price is on par with a Noveske barrel full retail price.

I think he is trying to unload this on a sucker who might think there is still a "scare" happening

(depending which exact model the range finder is its around 150-225 retail)

ETA: wait maybe I understood it wrong is it 450 for just the barrel or the full upper minus BCG/CH. I still think it maybe a bad deal (depending on manufacture of barrel) a pistol upper from PSA can be bought for 400 and that new (link http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html )

ETA 2: After re reading your post again (darn kids) It could be a decent deal. I would try to get it sub 400 unless its a noveske which I would be gladly to pay that for a more complete upper. Reason I would talk down is because the missing BCG. While you can get them cheap now you still need to get it. if it had the BCG good deal based on current market.
    Last edited by clownbear69; 05-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    seems to me he is asking full retail. No-name barrels are $200, stripped uppers are $75.
    In his price range I would just buy new.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    seems to me he is asking full retail. No-name barrels are $200, stripped uppers are $75.
    In his price range I would just buy new.
    If you look around theres a lot of 300 BLK barrels sub 200 and many stripped uppers in the 50-60 buck range due to the lack of demand and high supply around

Boolit Master
    Pass. You can do better with a little research.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Talked to a Dealer friend of mine and he said there is an actual GLUT of AR-15 parts now! I'm looking for an 300 Blk Out barrel now but hard finding good quality/good price???
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

When Ar15 barrels are concerned, spend the money and get best quality you can afford. The price in the OP is high unless it's of superb quality. I'd pay $450 for a new high quality barrel, actually I did for my 10" Spikes Lothar Walther 1/8" twist pistol gas barrel. Worth every penny. Also paid about $350 for my rainier ultra match barrel, again, worth every penny.
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 05-20-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

I would pass. I built my 300 blk to shoot cast. You can get as good pistol gas port barrel in 1:8 twist for less than $200.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Guys, thanks for all the responses. I wasn't able to get back to the show, repairs came up around the house that took precedence.

I wasn't really looking for one at the time, just an itch I had, so I had to oogle over it a bit when I had the chance.

When I do finally decide to take the plunge, I will definitely take all the good info given under consideration.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Perma-Banned

You can check these guys out for barrels and parts. I bought my .300 BO barrel from them.

https://www.sotaarms.com/component/j...ew/13?Itemid=0

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master

+1 on the Sota barrels. I'm using one and so far so good. I want to do a little more load development but I am happy with accuracy so far in the .300 BO.