Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lack of gun store knowledge

Boolit Buddy

Lack of gun store knowledge

Today I went to my local gun store and had my eye on a new smith and wesson model 17, gun looked good until I got to looking at the crown of the muzzle, it had a pretty decent dent in it, I asked the guy what happned there to which he replied the he wasn't sure and asked one of the other workers, the other worker came over took a look at the mark said "its just a manufatures defect, won't effect anything" they were still asking full retail price for the gun. I walked out,its a shame at the lack of care and knowledge in society today. Should I cut my losses or go back and try to explain the damage and see if we can come to an agreeable price?

Boolit Master
    Sounds like some serious apathy on their part. If you go back and 'try' to explain the defect you had better have some written proof as to what this defect will cause the user.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hmmm . . . "manufacturers defect"???? If it was new, then why didn't the return it to S & W? Unfortunately, a lot of LGSs have "Laurel & Hardy" working there. I once went in to a LGS that I go to quite frequently for reloading supplies and I've purchased probably a half dozen firearms from. I asked one of the clerks if they had a H & R Handi Rifle chambered in .357 in stock and if not, how long would it take to get one? The clerk asked another clerk, who then came over and joined the first one . . . and he proceeded to tell me that H & R doesn't make a Handi in .357. Oh, really? I told them to go look at their catalog . . . he did a quick look and came back with the same answer. On the way out, the owner recognized me and asked if I found what I needed. I replied that I had found a number of things I "needed" but that I really wasn't in the market to pick up the two "idiots" he had in back. I explained what I was looking for . . . he apologized and I told him to forget it . . . that I was sure I could find one at one of the big box stores. Next time I went in, the two clowns no longer worked there.

Unfortunately, many are there for the "pay check". They don't realize that when a customer is dis-satisfied and ends up walking out . . . in your case . . . due to ignorance or laziness on their part . . . that their paycheck is also "walking out the door".

To be honest, I don't remember a time when the guys at the local shop knew what they were talking about. There have been exceptions, but not many.

Boolit Master
    While I think I know a lot about firearms and ammunition, I don't think I would be competent to work at any of the local gun shops. They mostly sell, AR's, AK's, and the latest generation of pistols and I know very little about them. One of the main reasons I don't own any of the listed firearm types is there are so many manufactures with so many models with a large range of prices, I don't have a clue if I would be happy with a purchase and I doubt I would get good advice from the shop.

Tim

Boolit Mold
    It would be difficult to find an environment so packed with willful ignorance on so many levels as that found in your average gun store.

Boolit Master
    I worked at a small store about 20 years ago. Other part time workers were clueless in general and many new firearms that had been there a while looked used. Shopworn, dents and dings common.
    After their shift you would find new handguns stacked on top of each other because they didn't put them in the proper place/configuration.

Love Life
    I don't find the guys in my local gunshops to be dumb. In fact, I believe they know much more than they let on. Good prices on guns though, and I much prefer the man behind the counter to stay quiet while I look. I'm a bonafide genius and do not want their input unless it's for a price break. It sounds rude, but it really is a very good system for me and the gun store owner. I do my due diligence so when I walk in I know what I'm looking for, price range, etc. Sho' am good!!!

Boolit Buddy
    if i worked at a gun store, i would familiarize myself with everything in stock. when times were not busy, i would keep up on all the latest and greatest stuff, and try to become even more of a gun nerd.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I'm a bonafide genius and do not want their input unless it's for a price break.
    That line made me chuckle!

Really though, this Cast Boolits forum is made up of physicists, chemists, engineers, toolmakers, not to mention a lot of good guys with a healthy helping of common sense and life experience together with whatever their profession may be. Why would we ever really expect store clerks who on average make no more money than a department store clerk or fast food pusher be firearms experts? I doubt most on this board would consider working for gun store clerk pay (excepting retirees, those independently wealthy, etc.) I sure could not afford to - even if it might be fun.

The guys at my local shop that I buy my supplies will NOT talk to you unless you are there to buy a FIREARM. ask them where something is in there store gun related and they just point over there on the floor somewhere. and go back to jaw jack-en with the other guys.

Asked for a box of 22lr the other day, he pulls out 2 boxes of 50 like he was a King bestowing a gift upon a peasant and asks double what there worth. I told the store manger i would pay MSRP only for 22 and he just looks at me and shrugs.

Really Pisses me off.

i only go there because its convenient and they have the powder and primers i want. other then that i do all my shopping online. and will NEVER buy a gun from them. EVER!

Beware the 1911 / Glock only clerk / all other guns are Sh$t. they got them their as well.

I just make sure I take LL with me when I am looking.

Love Life
    I got you covered. Why, just today I wandered into my local gun shop to see into selling a gun because I really haven't played with it in about 3 years. The man behind the counter looks on Gunbroker for about 2 minutes and then lowballs me. I pulled out of my back pocket, the printed completed auctions he had just looked at. My how a little prior preparation turns the table!! I still got rid of the gun, but I got a lot more than the dude originally offered.

Which brings me to another rant. Gunstore offers on firearms. I understand the store needs to make a buck, but in my experiences spanning several states, the standard offer is 25%-40% the actual worth of the firearm. Why? That just rubs me wrong. That may work on a person who has to sell their firearms for crack money, but not me.

Knew I could count on you.

And that old 33% worked with sellers in distress before the internet sites sold guns, but the tradition seems to have outlived the logic.

Boolit Master
    Lack of antique gun knowledge at a LGS has worked out well for me. I bought what was being sold as a "pre-Italian" Whitney.36 percussion revolver, at a really good price. Now, I knew that the only people making "pre-Italian" Whitneys was Whitney. I got a super good deal.
    Last edited by Battis; 05-18-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I got you covered. Why, just today I wandered into my local gun shop to see into selling a gun because I really haven't played with it in about 3 years. The man behind the counter looks on Gunbroker for about 2 minutes and then lowballs me.
    That's what he's supposed to do: Buy low and sell high. In the end you both agreed on a reasonable price. What was the problem?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    The guys at my local shop that I buy my supplies will NOT talk to you unless you are there to buy a FIREARM. ask them where something is in there store gun related and they just point over there on the floor somewhere. and go back to jaw jack-en with the other guys.

Asked for a box of 22lr the other day, he pulls out 2 boxes of 50 like he was a King bestowing a gift upon a peasant and asks double what there worth. I told the store manger i would pay MSRP only for 22 and he just looks at me and shrugs.

Really Pisses me off.

i only go there because its convenient and they have the powder and primers i want. other then that i do all my shopping online. and will NEVER buy a gun from them. EVER!

Beware the 1911 / Glock only clerk / all other guns are Sh$t. they got them their as well.
    that's what really pisses me off I want what I want I research before I buy and don't buy on impulse anymore .ive dealt with my share of gun shop a$$holes and gun snobs if I'm there to buy a smith or a ruger don't run it into the ground and try to sell me a glock . ive never owned a glock ive never shot a glock I handled a model 27 1 time and didn't care for it . to each there own im not trying to dump all over anything that someone else likes but there not for me . ive got 5 tickets for a gun raffle at a local club where I shoot 1st place is a glock 9mm I tell people if I win it im gonna hang it up on the target holder and shoot at it with 1 of my smith & wessons or rugers just to piss them off . im not that arrogant I wont really do it if by some chance I win i'll take the cash instead or maybe if the wife likes it i'll give it to her for her purse gun . but it gets people rowed up when I tell them that

Boolit Buddy
    im really glad I walked into this thread. I plan on opening my own shop in town and besides it being a minor dream its also a kind of necessity here due to outrageous prices and crappy service. So im glad im reading these stories because when I do open my shop and if any worker treated anybody this poor they would be out the door.

Nonetheless OP im surprised that when they saw it they didn't immediately send it back. When I worked at Cabela's and Academy if we saw it we would send it back (Academy had more paperwork per Corporate). If you should cut your loses, maybe but I would speak to the owner first and go from there.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Been buying all my new guns online for a while now, just refused to get 'hammered' by the LGS's. The internet is a great tool to find bargains quickly. http://www.slickguns.com finds the bargain's and normally does the price comparison between multiple resellers.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    That's what he's supposed to do: Buy low and sell high. In the end you both agreed on a reasonable price. What was the problem?
    Hold the phone!!! I thought buying low and selling high made a person into an evil...a horrible...a revolting...GOUGER GUY!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES AND HIDE THE CHILDREN!!

The problem is that it is insulting to me when they give their old song and dance "Well I seen one listed for $0.25 and the seller couldn't move it." when I look at all the same things before I go in and I know they are lying through their teeth. dishonesty like that to rook the susceptible is very distasteful.

Most gun stores have just become transfer stations for my guns because I can buy cheaper on-line (even with shipping and FFL added in).