Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you take your favorite handgun on vacation?

Would you take your favorite handgun on vacation?

Mrs. Thumbcocker and I are heading west in a few weeks and plan on some truck camping on public land and just generally bumming around. My favorite handgun has been my companion on many woods tromps and has killed a fair pile of deer, one hog, and two coyotes. It shoots exactly where it looks and we understand each other. I have always wanted to do some long range plinking under the open sky with this gun. I would hate to lose it but would love to take it along. so the question is would you take your favorite handgun with you on such an odesy?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

If it isnt illegal or unlawful to take it where you are going I would go for it....be sure to check state laws regarding the proper carrying and transporting it.....I would also suggest a car/truck safe for safe carrying it.....good luck and have a great trip......

Boolit Master

The question is why would you not? As long as I am legal where I'm traveling through it's going!

Vendor Sponsor

We went on vacation today, to Charleston SC, the Kahr CW45 rode all day in my jeans, in and out of the car, restaurants, the waterfront, it hasn't budged since I tucked it in this morning.. Still wearing it in the motel room as I type. It makes a great traveling companion, mostly smooth edges, 1lb 10oz fully loaded, what's not to like about that..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I often plan my routes of travel so that I remain in states that honor my concealed permit. If I can't do that, then I check to see if the transit states honor open carry. Most states do so you should be just fine with a little bit of research.

If you have a smart phone, go to the App Store and download the "Legal Heat" app for info on all 50 states and which states honor which state's CCW permits. While there isn't a Federal permit, it' amazing how many states have reciprocity between themselves.

If you don't have a CCW, then open carry is your best option and it is no issue in most of the states.

As many of my vacations involve trips to shooting matches or for hunting trips, weapons are always a part of my kit when traveling.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-16-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    As long as it's legal absolutely. My 696 toured Wyoming with us .and I like to think enjoyed the new senery!

Boolit Master
    Don't bring it to Kali. The politicians here have nothing but contempt for the Constitution and nothing but disdain for all voters except those with with the deep pockets and fat bank accounts who fund (bribe) their parties. They especially hate anyone who has the audacity to think that they should have the same rights to self defense as the wealthy and politically connected.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No. I would not take mine. To each his own, but the GP100 stays home and the Blackhawk gets the nod when it comes time for throwing under the seat, possibly getting banged around and even wet for a while, and/or leaving in a locked vehicle for any length of time. It's not that I don't like the BH, but you said favorite, and the GP is an original from the first batch in '85 and I'd sure hate to have anything happen to it. I plan to wear it completely out right here in the comfort and safety of my own backyard range.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Love Life
    Which states are you headed through and where do you plan to end up? Right now all the jacks and ground squirrels are around to provide you with plenty of walkabout entertainment.

Boolit Buddy
    No.
    When I am on the bike and traveling the Kimber stays at home and the purchased used for 1/4 the price of the Kimber and shoots good enough G23 goes.
    If something would happen I would loose only some money and nothing more.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I always take a pistol that I shoot well, is reliable, and can be easily replaced. Kel-Tec fits the bill here!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Of all the handguns you own, which could you take on any adventure with a completely free mind?

Whichever one you answered is actually your favorite, no matter what you thought.

Boolit Master
    I always try and take my favorite gun with me, we have traveled many miles together already and had some interesting times. I shoot it the best and when I'm gone it will go to my Son as a reminder of the fun he and I shared!
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Will be heading to Arkansas (Mrs. Thumbcocker wants to dig for diamonds), through Oklahoma, and spend time in New Mexico and Utah, We have applied for Utah CCW permits back in April and the money has been accepted but no permits yet. A tuperware pistol (Glock 19) will go along for reppeling borders. I have no emotional attachment to the Glock. I respect it but can't love or even like it. My favorite is a Bisley .44 from a run in 1999 or 2000 that I had my Ruger pusher order for me when I heard they were coming out. It has a few custom touches Bowen sights belt mountain pin, Bowen lanyard ring and an excellent trigger job. It has filled my freezer and entertained me a lot and wowed a few people who thought a handgun could not hit past 15 yards. I have other .44's but it is my favorite handgun period. I could always take a 4 5/8 .44 but I confess to being exposed early to Elmer Keith and being impressionable. The idea of being in a state where I could shoot anytime I want without having to worry about being arrested or trespassing really appeals to me. As does all that space to shoot a long way without danger to people or property .
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a favorite handgun. Different tools for different jobs. When we road trip, I take a S&W Airweight J Frame that I can carry in my pocket @ rest stops, into the Motel, etc ... Wouldn't be without it.

When camping, I'll often have a .40 cal H&K in a shoulder holster.

If we're camping in Black Bear country, I'll have my 44 Special FlatTop. If we're camping in Griz country, I'll have my 629 44 Mag.

When we were camping at an extremely isolated dead-end site, I also had my Mini 14 along.

Boolit Master
    Well there is a lot of "What would you carry" answers here, but I have a question:
    What can they (Police in any state) possibly due to you considering one is not a convicted felon or for some other reason not allowed to have/carry a firearm?
    The RIGHT to bear arms is in the constitution. Why would any state have a right or see fit to give a citizen of the US without firearm violizations a problem of ANY SORT. No state has the legal right to disregard the Constitution and make up ther own rules!

In Remembrance
    Why would you consider losing it? I guess I am not understanding what you mean.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Why would you consider losing it? I guess I am not understanding what you mean.
    Im thinking in regards of being stolen

To answer the OP my truck gun is my Colt Trooper Mk III. Its in there all the time. Its also one of my favorite. When your poor what can you do. Being protected outweighs getting it stolen. I do have a replacement on my radar the Canik 55 L-120 imported by tristar. Its a CZ-75 clone and inexpensive. And I will be keeping that as a dedicated gun for just that. Now its time to get the funds

Just be smart about when its not on you where will it be? Is/will it be accessible to everyone or for just you and the misses?

Love Life
    You're good. Bring your favorite gun and enjoy the west!! Dusk and dawn are great times for putting the beat down on Jacks and Ground squirrels. Just be careful of the Cotton Tails because we have an actual season for them. I'd say bring a gold pan as well.

All my guns are my favorite. I dont know that I could single one out to take. But come to think of it one of the Freedoms Arms could easily go along. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast