WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Sticks, my half baked attempt!

Boolit Master

Cross Sticks, my half baked attempt!

Well Nobade one upped me last week by showing up with his new store bought cross sticks at our local lever action silhouette match and afterwards managed some decent long range gong shots with his 2 Sharp's rifles. One thing was immediately apparent was the spike layout left a lot to be desired on our range. They wouldn't and couldn't be driven into the soil at our range. This part of the world has about 3 types of soil: sand, lava rock and caliche which often can make one believe it is granite!
    Anyway here is my attempt to improve on his sticks. I would definitely do a few things differently if I were to start over, like case harden the spikes and braze or weld on the angle shields on the lower legs plus getting a forstner drill bit or at least a spade drill bit of the right size as metal twist drills like to grab and splinter the wood.

NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Those look like a good solution. Should be able to pound those into the firmness below. Made me think of some 1/2 inch rerod with the ends pointed. Cover the "x" area with rubber hose...

Have the same conditions down here in the high Andes. I am at 8000 feet and happily where I shoot (9040 feet) in a washout outside of the city it is loose sand generally. When I move up onto a hillside I had to "search for places' where the lava rock had a good covering of sand so my stick edges could dig in some.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Aw man, those are way sexier than mine! Now I am going to have to figure out how to tart up my set some.

Nice work there! I am looking forward to seeing them in action the next time we get to go out and play.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    Those look like a good solution. Should be able to pound those into the firmness below. Made me think of some 1/2 inch rerod with the ends pointed. Cover the "x" area with rubber hose...

Have the same conditions down here in the high Andes. I am at 8000 feet and happily where I shoot (9040 feet) in a washout outside of the city it is loose sand generally. When I move up onto a hillside I had to "search for places' where the lava rock had a good covering of sand so my stick edges could dig in some.
    Mike in Peru
    missionary5155,
    Wow, we are a mile high here but I'd have to go up Sandia Peak (10,678 ft.) to encounter your normal conditions. I guess either you are acclimated to the elevation or limited by what you do there. I bet it improves the ballistics though!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Aw man, those are way sexier than mine! Now I am going to have to figure out how to tart up my set some.

Nice work there! I am looking forward to seeing them in action the next time we get to go out and play.

-Nobade
    Nobade,
    Ah, I see you now feel inadequate with your sticks, the psychology is working!
    Yes, you do need to upgrade yours some. Those leg spikes will never get the job done at the Zia range or Raton.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Yep acclimation takes a bit longer the older I get (63). Took 6 weeks this last time before I could run up the back steps to the flat cement roof without being dizzy. Used to take just a week.
    At 9000 the air is 30% less so I guess there would be less drop at 100 yards. Gravity is still the same and may yet be the major factor.
    The village I go to weekly I cross 10,800 to get there and back home. Used to go to another village years back that sits at 10,300 and cross 12,750 to get there. It is tough on the body up there.
    When we return to Danville, ILLinois (500 feet) we do not have to breath.. our bodies soak enough oxygen for the first few days.. :>)

Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Great Solution! And probably less work than mine - I used 1 x 1 stainless angle and cut a legal length spike with a hack saw. I managed to find flush mount threaded inserts at a local woodworker store, made for a clean look on the cocobolo sticks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	135088428.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	105240

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    They look legal and good to me - nice job

5.2 Artificial Support
    -
    Any supporting surface except the ground not specifically authorized for use in the Rules for the position prescribed.
    Artificial support for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle only shall be in the form of approved design
    crossed sticks constructed of two wooden legs, no greater than 1 inch by 2 inches in thickness and width or 1% inches in diameter, and bolted or tied so that the two legs are hinged and capable of pivoting. The end of the legs may be equipped with spikes no more than 3 inches in length and no wider than the edge of the crossed stick. They may be inserted into the ground by hand pressure only to aid in retention of an upright position. This may be waived by the Match Director to fit local conditions. One layer of protective material may be suspended or inserted in the "V" of the crossed sticks to protect the rifle. All cross sticks will be certified
    Regards
    John

In Remembrance
    I built my own, too.
    But, I shamelessy copied the connection method used by the guy who owns catshootingsticks.com

I really prefer the 'long slot' over the 'multiple holes'.

This image is from his website, and I recommend that you browse through his offerings.

Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I built my own, too.
    But, I shamelessy copied the connection method used by the guy who owns catshootingsticks.com

I really prefer the 'long slot' over the 'multiple holes'.

This image is from his website, and I recommend that you browse through his offerings.

Yes, I also think the slots are a better solution. I don't presently have the tools to do a good job of slotting them, but I think I will visit my wood working friend in the future!

I made the slots in these by drilling two (4) holes then cut out the web by cutting into the first hole from the end of the stick and continuing to the second with my bandsaw. Swung 180* and cut the opposite side. Then shut the saw off and went out the first cut. Some Elmer's and a clamp stuck the entry cut back together.
    Cheers,
    R
    Spes Mea in Deo Est

Boolit Grand Master

We did that at work buy drilling the start and finish holes break the blade and weld with blade thru hole mount and cut then break blade in a diffrent spot and weld back together. I have done slots also drilling start and finsh holes and a chisel. Slots can also be done with a router o by clamping and blocking a straight edge to follow with the router against it.

Boolit Master
    These are excellent ideas. Looks like a new project goes on the list. Man these are nice.

In Remembrance
    I did my slots on a table saw using the ripfence ... after drilling the four holes for the ends of the slots.

CM

Boolit Master
    Everyone, great ideas for making shooting sticks with excellent work-arounds for slotting the legs.

Baja_Traveler
    That is a nice set of shooting sticks! Cocobolo, wow now we are getting fancy as I only used oak.

Boolit Grand Master
    All those above seem like works of art. Very nice !! For my light weight, practical hunting sticks, I've taken two arrow (aluminum) shafts and drilled a hole in each about three inches from the non-pointed ends. Connected them with a thin nut & bolt so they can scissor against each other - voila - a set of shooting sticks. I lean 'em in toward me to adjust for height while aiming. Very light weight and rock solid.

Boolit Master
    This is going to be one of my first projects in my new garage this summer. Those are really good looking sticks.

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice. One more project for me to add to the list.

so if these are "HALF BAKED" shooting sticks ... id like to see your serious attempt on them.

very nice sticks fella's.

now that i had posted that last sentence ... after reading back to myself ... it seems a bit weird to mention another fella's sticks ... LOL please forgive an injured mind ... LOL

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    it seems a bit weird to mention another fella's sticks ...
    I'll let a guy compliment my sticks ... but not my gams.

CM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast