MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Security/Speed/Police Six shooters here?

Boolit Master

Any Security/Speed/Police Six shooters here?

I have a 1980 2.75" Speed Six in .38spl, a 1979 4" heavy barrel Security Six in .357 and a 2013 3" GP100 in 357.

I've had 2x other 4" GP100's but they had crazy $ offered for them at one time or another and I couldn't say no, especially when one guy offered more than a brand new GP100 (back during the panic when you couldn't even get one off gunbroker for a decent price)

I prefer the Security Six line over the GP's. They just feel better to me I guess. I really, really prefer the Speed Six's over the 3" GP100 and the SP101, as it's way easier to carry concealed---which I don't do much these days because I prefer to just open carry wherever I go (that's why I avoid Denver as much as possible--people look at you funny when in the store with an empty holster on your belt)

My dad's job requires that he be armed and he only had an old Stoeger 22lr Luger (not the most reliable pistola if you'd had the pleasure) so I lent my 2.75" Speed Six.

Onto gunbroker to replace that Speed Six, I bid on and won the auction for a very nice 2.75" Speed Six in 357. I was pumped. I contacted the seller and asked how to remit payment. He informed me that revolver had been sold at the show over the weekend. He offered up the 3" GP100 for $100 over the closing auction price. I declined and told him I wanted the Speed Six for what I bid. This went on for a day or two. I didn't want the GP100 for his offer, my final counter offer was the BNIB GP100 for the final bid. He wasn't happy but he completed the transaction saying he took a $50 hit on it.

If anything, I'll probably look for someone with a 5" or 6" GP100 and see if they'd like to trade it for my 3" unit

Anyway, anyone else prefer the Six line over the GP?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The GP100 needs wheels and a pony to drag it around. I would not trade my Police Service Six for a whole train load of them.

Boolit Master
    I own a few of the Ruger "Six" series guns. Love them. The GP is also a great firearm, but everybody has different feelings when they pick up any firearm. Some "fit" & others don't.

Boolit Master
    I like the grips on the GP line as they don't have the exposed back strap, but with a decent set of Pachmayer grips that cover the back strap, problem gone.

I also prefer the rounded recoil shield over the scalloped.

I've often thought about the cost of tooling to reproduce the Six line, though I'd like a left handed version like Charter Arms makes

Boolit Master
    A while back, I picked up a Glock 19 with a bunch of factory personal defense ammo for $420. I shot some of the ammo, gave the rest to my brother and traded it for a nice 4" GP100 that hadn't been shot much. I think it was made in 1989.

I bet the whole time the other guy was thinking 'what a dumba$$' as I was myself during the trade. I had an offer for that one for $650 I couldn't say no to. So down the road it went.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my security six (as well as my colt trooper mkIII different story) but im trying to use it less and less. Nothing against the gun but if my security six breaks for whatever reason theres less and less people that know how to work on them compared to the GP100 where its a in production gun.

Boolit Master
    Well, true on the repair aspect. I have a couple spring kits for my Six's, need to get a couple sets of trigger groups springs though. I'm pretty sure Wolf still has them, last I looked they did anyway.

But really, you are worried that a Six will wear out?

Boolit Buddy
    With the amount of shooting my grandfather and father did with it yup. For us its a generation gun so I plan on passing it to my son.

Boolit Master
    i have a 4" stainless security six. it was made in 1976. i bought it used in 77. it has been shot and used for a carry gun for 30 plus years. i also have a 6" blue six. again no problems with it. if it came down to getting rid of hand guns that 4" stainless would be the last to go. the 6" would be next to last.

i don't know why they stopped the security-six line. my thought was to fix a problem that did not exist.

Banned
    Have an early Security Six , six inch barrel. Was my first centerfire handgun and it is to blame for getting me started in handloading. Never cared for the original DA pull, but aftermarket mainspring and trigger return spring took care of that. Wouldn't trade it.

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer my Security Six over any other DA .357 revolver. It is hell for stout and takes full magnum level (still with in SAAMI MAPs) level loads with aplomb and is very accurate. Wouldn't trade it or sell it for any other .357 revolver.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clownbear69 View Post
    With the amount of shooting my grandfather and father did with it yup. For us its a generation gun so I plan on passing it to my son.
    Awesome. FYI, I see lots of Six parts on eBay and you'd have to call Ruger to see if they had springs, etc you may need eventually. 2 yrs ago Ruger found a ton of the large target wood grips for the Security Six. They were selling for $10/set. I picked up a set

Banned

I have an old beat up six inch Security Six I like very much. It's not as accurate as a better condition one my Dad had, but plenty good enough and I just have confidence in it. Of the various handguns I have, that would be the one I would want most in hand if a bad situation.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard when Ruger discontinued that line, they sold the patents and tooling to a French company to make them for law enforcement use in Europe and that they are still being made somewhere as a result. Anyone else heard that?

Boolit Master
    I love my 6" SS Security Six, and have a set of Ruger's Target grips on it. I bought extra sets I liked them so much. I did not like the Pachmayr grips it came with or the stock wood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post

i don't know why they stopped the security-six line. my thought was to fix a problem that did not exist.
    Bob, I think that the Security Six was expensive to make, and that's why Ruger dropped it.

Boolit Master
    Ahhhh... The Security Six! I have a stainless version with the 4" barrel: It was the first gun I ever bought, got it new in 1982.... I'll NEVER sell it! Of course, it was the ONE gun in my collection that the wife gravitated towards... I told her she can use it, but I'm not giving it up. I'm amazed at how diminutive the Security Six looks and feels compared to the other Rugers I have in .44 and .45 caliber.
    I just shot the Security Six last weekend, and enjoyed it with both .38's and full house .357 Magnums. It's a great gun, and like others have said, it will hopefully be the last one that I ever part with.

Boolit Buddy

Have a Post office 3" speed six , great carry gun ,shoots great, it aint goin nowhere.

Boolit Master
    These were very under valued up until the last year or so. Used to find them crazy cheap all over, everyone was after the GP100's

I have a 4" Secuity Six blued. My grandfather bought it used in the late 70's. My dad had it for 15 years or so. It is now mine and I plan to pass it on to one of my grandsons when the time comes.

I have a Speed-Six Indian Contract 2 3/4" in ".380 Rim" that's not going anywhere except the range I have some fairly solid .38-200 loads put together for it, but I need to cook up some fire-breathers based on Ken Waters's "Pet Loads," which he tested in an Indian Service-Six 4". I'm generally a Smith guy, have fooled around with a few Colts, but this beast of a Ruger deserves to shoot something stout. I like to keep a revolver in the nightstand with my 1911, and would like the Ruger to assume that role.