Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: what would you do

what would you do

i just made my first batch of boolits and i think i have messed up the top of my mould . the top of the mould where the sprew plate pivots is galled a little. i have ordered a couple bottles of sprew plate lube from bullshop, my question is should i take the mould and try to clean the galled area up or just lube it when i get my lube and move on. I did try lubbing it with beeswax. any one have any ideas. thanks
    dave

I would clean up the gall a bit and go on...
    Steel or aluminum blocks ??
    LEE ... Lyman ??
    Sprue hole got a burr ??
    I gently touch up the underside of all sprue plates with a very small medium stone..
    (a "slip") stone..

HTH
    Razor

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Bull Plate Lube is great stuff. Use it exactly according to instructions. After applying BPL, at the frst sign of a lead smear, reapply. As a mould becomes "broken in" with BPL it will require reapplying at longer intervals. Besides the good deburring advice you have been given by others be sure that the sprue plate moves freely. I like mine to swing freely, but just barely, when the HOT mould is turned on its side.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

How about some 400 grit wet/dry paper on a piece of glass for a flat surface and just clean up the top the mold. Then Bull Sprue Plate Lube forever. That stuff really works very well.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Super Moderator

..............Main thing is, how bad is the galling? If the sprueplate screw is snug and the plate still lies flat atop the blocks (heave a sigh of relief) as the blocks aren't screwed up too bad. Remove the sprueplate and with fine silicone carbide paper on a flat surface, rub the sprueplate in a figure eight pattern to remove any stuck/siezed metal. Don't use the mould until your Bullplate lube arrives!

However, if the plate DOES show daylight on the end opposite the pivit screw, enough metal has been removed to cause the plate to tip, it's still fixable.

If you own a milling machine, you know what to do.

If you don't own one, go buy one and then flycut a few thousands off the top of the blocks.

If you don't own a milling machine and are too cheap to go buy one, it can still be fixed . Remove the sprueplate and the sprueplate stop, if it has one. Clamp the blocks together with a 'C' clamp. Using the same flat surface you would have used above do the same thing only with the blocks. I'd start with 220grit, and oil it.

Be sure to shift hand positions on the blocks and also rotate the blocks occassionaly while sanding in a figure 8 pattern. You don't need to do this until the entire top surface of the blocks is brought to uniform clean metal. Just until the tops of the ridges in the galled area have been flattened. The sprueplate will then ride flat.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Most guys clean up the bottoms of sprue plates to make sure the sprue hole is sharp, etc, but remember the edges of sprue plates can be a big problem. Some are stamped out. File all the bottom edges to slightly round them and polish them.
    I have seen new molds where the edge of a plate will gouge the top of the mold.

the mould is a lee 6 banger. the galling isnt that bad yet but i dont want it to get that way either. i can get to a mill but i dont own one. that would take a trip to the country. so i was looking for ideas to do otherwise. thanks to all.

dave

Boolit Grand Master

When I mould I have a small brass brush and while the mould is still hot I brush it off gently if it is needed. Excess comes off easy while the mould is hot.
    Aim small, miss small!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper View Post
    the mould is a lee 6 banger. the galling isnt that bad yet but i dont want it to get that way either. i can get to a mill but i dont own one. that would take a trip to the country. so i was looking for ideas to do otherwise. thanks to all dave
    ..............So is there any daylight between the blocks and the plate? Ie: tilted plate?

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

So what is Bull Plate Lube, and where do I get it?

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbwillnj View Post
    So what is Bull Plate Lube, and where do I get it?
    Scroll down to the bottom of this page, click on The Bullshop.

there isnt any tilt in the sprew plate. and the blocks are still closing good. i think it happened right at the end of my casting session. i tried to cast faster at the end and i smeared it a little. i have a lot to learn. I just hope it isnt going to be a costly learning curve. lol

dave