Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bullet for hunting with the .357 max.

Boolit Bub
    MT, I did find a mold from NOE that I was interested in but I am worried about lube choices. I seem to always come back to worrying about leading my barrel. And I don't want to ruin this barrel as it shoots so well...

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by AllOutdoors.22 View Post
    I like the idea of using a tumble lube bullet. Like you said less equipment to buy. But do you think that it will hold up at the velocities the .357 max. can deliver?
    I have run Alox/JPW to a little over 1600fps in the .357 with excellent results.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Leading will not ruin the barrel!!! Just clean it out and keep tinkering with different load/bullet combinations.

BigboreShooter

Boolit Master
    My favorite small game (up to 50# at under 80 yards) is the Lee 150 gr round nose plain base over 8 gr. of Unique which give it a muzzle velocity of about 1200 fps. and consistently groups under 2" with iron sights at 100 yds. My rifle is a 21" barrel Contender carbine. No leading at all and I do size to .358 though I probably don't have to except for consistency. For smaller bears at under 80 yards I use the Lee 158 gr SWC -GC which consistently come from the mold at 163 gr. over 2400 which give an MV of 1900 fps (sorry I forget the charge weight) and I would use this load for deer if I wasn't muzzleloading. The 357 max is a wonderful cartage and that 150 gr load is great fun to shoot.

Boolit Bub
    I see a .360-180gr. fn in a group buy that I am pretty interested in getting. Question for you guys though...where would I find a sizing die that size? I like the idea of the Lee push through style as it doesn't require extra equipment but I believe they only have .358? Any help out there would be appreciated!

Boolit Bub
    Plz disregard the second half of my last post as I found Lee does custom sizes for not much more than there .358. But anyway, do you guys think that would be a good bullet for the Max. I do not have a lubrisizer so I would probably dip lube in carnauba red. Thoughts? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AllOutdoors.22 View Post
    Plz disregard the second half of my last post as I found Lee does custom sizes for not much more than there .358. But anyway, do you guys think that would be a good bullet for the Max. I do not have a lubrisizer so I would probably dip lube in carnauba red. Thoughts? Thanks!
    AO22,

Contact member "buckshot" here and he can make you a push thru sizer. Much better than the Lee and no playing the lottery about what you'll get. Dipping in carnuba red should work fine.

Boolit Bub
    I will definitely do that. That bullet looks like it should do well in the Max!

Boolit Master

If you are looking at the mould offered by A.C.E. Co. it appears to be a copy of the original Glen Larson design and will be a dandy in your Maximum.

Boolit Bub
    That is the one...I sent out a PM to find out how the group process works. Hope I can still get one...

Boolit Mold
    I like the 180 grain Hornady XTP. They get excellent penetration and are heavy enough to get a "Whack" for bone breaking and depth. I get them from RAM Precision, 50 rd box for $30. Can't beat it.
    2nd Amendment assures our family pool time Recreational Warehouse is safe and protected

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I'm surprised that no one yet seems to favor my own long term choice. Lyman 358627..Granted it is long discontinued,but I think still available from some custom moldmakers,and for a tryout, Western Bullet in Missoula sold me my first,10-12 years ago ,then I went loking for a mould of my own..Shooting it in Dan Wesson Supermag, TC super 14s in both 357 Max. and 35 Remmie...Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned

alloutdoor, pan lubing will be your ticket, cheap and easy

check out this place for all your NOE mould needs.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/

he may even have a "LEE Tumble lube" of the bullet you are looking for.

of course, the conventional lube bullets will tumble lube quite well too.

Boolit Master

Jerry at Carolina cast bullets is a sponsor here and sells the Ranch Dog 175 gr and 190 gr Boolits if you want to try before you invest in a mold. Jerry is a great guy to deal with and makes a quality product! Tim

Boolit Master
    I have been tumble lubing in Alox the Lyman 173 gr Keith style SWC plain base and didn't start having leading residue in my Contender 357 max until I passed 1450 fps if this info helps. I size to 358.

Boolit Mold
    I have several .357 Maximums. I use a 185 grain, flat nose, gas check bullet from Beartooth Bullets, sized .359. I load them over 20.0 - 21.0 grains of H110.

I speak from experience when I say they are a deer hammer !

Boolit Grand Master
    ACE 360-235 Thor. Out of my Ruger #1 100yds

Boolit Master

rockrat,
    good shooting!
    (as I was once told, "Too bad you missed the bullseye")
    That 1680 brings out the max in the Maximum. Have you shot that across a chrony yet?

nawh,

the 360-235 Thor over H-110

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    (ahem)

The 360-235 Thor over 2400,,,,,,,
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    ACE 360-235 Thor. Out of my Ruger #1 100yds

That's great accuracy but what blows me away is a Ruger #1 in 357Max!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast