Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Storage H & I and Top Punches

Boolit Grand Master

Storage H & I and Top Punches

I have a very good friend that is beginning to cast and shoot. He is also an excellent wood worker.

He knew that I needed some organization with my H & I sizing dies and top punches.

What a nice gift he offered me yesterday.

Ben

Here is a close up :

Here it is with the dust cover on the top of the tray :

Boolit Grand Master
    That's a pretty good idea, as long as you have room for the box. I really like the way the top punches are visible.

I am currently using a plastic MTM 12 gauge box, which works well for the sizing dies, not so well for the top punches. At least it keeps the dust off and out of everything.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Robert ,

I am totally ashamed to say where all this stuff was before I organized it into this box my friend gave me.

Believe me, I moved forward in the " organization dept. " with giant steps.

As to where does the box rest when not in use ?

I'm fortunate that I have a good bit of shelf area. It sits within easy reach, close to my 2 lube sizers.

Ben

Boolit Master

I went and bought some Plano mini-tackle boxes that I keep 5 dies and top punches in each box (I'm currently up to four of them stacked on the shelf.) but if I had room on my shelves I would DEFINITELY copy that box!

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    It requires a bit of extra space, YES ! !

I'm thinking of putting a pair of tracked bearing rollers under my table that my lube sizers are located on.

This would allow my storage box to slide under the table when not in use.

Ben

Like this , tell me what you think ? ?
    Last edited by Ben; 05-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

On Heaven's Range

Very elegant and efficient.

In my last shop, there was an eight-foot two-tube fluorescent fixture hanging on chains over the bench.

Taking a length of 1x4 lumber the as long as that fixture, I drilled 1"-diameter holes along the complete length of the board. It was then TAPED to the top of the fixture.

Individual sizing dies were placed in prescription bottles of the "small" size, which fit nicely into those holes. Plastic stick-on labels clearly identified the dies within. Labels were clearly visible at a glance, being above the top of the 1x4 plank.

Top punches lived in a drawer of one of those "parts cabinets".

The system worked very well, keeping the dies clean, easily identified, eliminating any need to remove lube for storage, saving scarce space, and even maintaining the dies at a "warm" temperature to ease start-up when newly-installed in the lube-sizer.

Total cost....maybe a dollar or two.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Very cool. Need to keep the lid on as to not get dust in the lube. Smart design. I want one.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UBER7MM View Post
    Very cool. Need to keep the lid on as to not get dust in the lube. Smart design. I want one.
    Did you see this :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ng-on-the-cake

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I am currently using a plastic MTM 12 gauge box, which works well for the sizing dies, not so well for the top punches. Robert
    Exactamundo, the 12ga should be a bit over .720-ish. As long as the inter-case dividers are lower than the die, it will work. Right now I am using some choke-tube caddies. Problem is that you cannot read the sizes stamped on the top. But where does RCBS stamp em, on the side?

Boolit Master

I keep my top punches w/ the mold they fit. I started that when I started buying MP and NEI molds. I would never find the right top punch if it was stored with a bunch of others.

Now to go to the cross reference in Castpics to see what other molds my top punches will work with. I'm mostly referring to the old LEE GB 6 cavity molds. For the molds I use most frequently, I like the ones theperfessor supplies and I can make fit. They also work for a one time use.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I hope your friend is the forgiving sort because I am absolutely stealing his idea! My current sizing die and TP organization effort involves a wooden Winchester 22 brick box and a few carefully labelled plastic bags. I won't need one that size for awhile and a gallon ziplock will solve the dust problem. Drill press has loafed long enough atop my workbench!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    TXGunNut

Go at it, I'd love to see yours when it is completed.

Ben