MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How popular is 44 Special and how many of you shoot that cartridge?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

How popular is 44 Special and how many of you shoot that cartridge?

I'm laid up due to some foot problems so just got to thinking about the 44 Special and how many shoot that particular cartridge? I have been a SA Cap & Ball shooter for years and I also have and shoot a number of vintage 38 specials. I would think the 38 spl. is probably one of the most popular cartridges - especially for re-loaders. Personally, I don't like shooting "magnum" cartridges and I pretty much load on the light side for my 38s as I would call myself a "plinker". I cast my own and the reloading is almost as much fun as the shooting for me. That said, I'm always looking for "new projects". I ran across a nice used SA Colt Clone that's chambered in 44 Special - to me, it would be a fun cartridge to re-load and also give me the option of using the 44 Russian cartridge if I decide to pick the SA up. But, I really don't she any experience with the 44 spl. other than to say "it's a larger version of the 38 special". I like "historical cartridges" so I'm looking at the 44 spl/44 Russion as opposed to possibly something chambered in 45 Colt Long.

It seems like the majority of the threads I run across seem to be leaning towards "magnum cartridges" - i.e. 357, 44 mag, etc. I know a lot of folks like shooting those cartridges and that's fine - different stroke for different folks. It seems like when I look at different forums, I see more about the magnum cartridges but not a whole lot about the 44 special.

I'm just wondering how many are out there that roll their own 44 Specials (or 44 Russian) and that shoot them - either competition or for fun? I was considering 45 Colt Long but it seems to me that the 44 spl. would be just as rewarding? I'm sure there are some folks who shoot the 44 spl. for CAS, etc. - so can you give me an idea of your thoughts on that cartridge? Do you enjoy it as much as say a 38 spl or a 45 Colt?

Personally, I've never shot a 44 Spl or a 45 Colt Long. My only experience with either of those bores is 44 (Army caliber) cap and ball with BP and of course, the 45 ACP out of a 1911A1.

Again, I don't shoot competition but do enjoy plinking at paper, cans, lollipops, clays on a bard, etc. I just am wondering if I should go with the 44 spl. or consider a 45 Colt SA? For those that shoot either the 44 or the 45, your thoughts please? Of course with either cartridge, I'd probably be loading with smokeless and black powder.

Many thanks!

My 44 mag taught me that I can't handle big magnum handguns. My hands and wrists just won't take it.
    It also taught me that the 44 special is pleasant to shoot in a good pistol. I shot way more 44 special than I ever did magnum loads.
    You can easily load a 44 special down to mouse fart loads if you wish. Great for plinking or target shooting.
    Also very good for home defense with the proper load.

Banned

Oh yes, great gun. I profess to liking large for hunting but the special is ,well, special. Just fine for deer and the only reason I don't have one is I can't afford more guns!
    Go for it, you will not be sorry.

Boolit Buddy
    every true bigbore revolver fan should have at least one .44 special

Boolit Master
    I believe that all the rounds I have put through the 44 special truely helped me learn how to shoot the 44 mag with good accuracy. Do I like the 44 special?? Yes, very much! Enough to have half a dozen or so....

I have had better success with the special than I have with the 45 Colt. I have had good accuracy across the board velocity & bullet weight wise with the special while the Colt has only given me that accuracy with heavier loads. (I don't know that that is the cartridge but likely more the revolvers I happen to own.)

ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Buddy

I had a "Lipseys "for several years now. I use a 240kt at 875-900' Lots of fun

Boolit Master

Love the special its fun to shoot accurate and a heck of a good self defense round. Its strange though because I read all the time about how much power you need to kill deer an hogs the big magnum stuff but the critters I've shot with the special seem to call over quite dead.

I love my specials, both 38 and 44. One of my 44 specials is my c.c. handgun. I find it easier to get accurate loads that are plenty stout enough to get the job done with out blasting my ear drums , smashing my wrist or singing the hair off close targets

Boolit Bub
    son you need one!the 44 special is the class of the old time big bore rounds.it's not a high volume round but you'll find out that it's used a lot by people who really like revolvers and know their way around the different rounds.you can load it down to 700 fps for target and up to 1200 fps for any big game in the lower 48 states.almost all of the guns chambered in 44 special are high quality revolvers.the round is real accurate in a good gun and can handle 95% of what you use a handgun for.with the right loads it can take small game without blowing it apart and big game with no problem.also makes a fine home protection piece.mine are keepers.i intend to enjoy them for as long as the Lord gives me.

Grab it and don't look back.if you like 38spl you will like 44spl.it can be a kitty cat target load or can be loaded to take deer or stop a threat.the 44spl in a saa is about perfect

Boolit Master

BH 44 Special is awesome!
    Its a great caliber and should be more popular than it is.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    Always loved big bore pistols, especially the .44 Mag. Been shooting/hunting with an old Super Blackhawk since the mid 80's and always had a hankering for a
    "Special". When looking for a small big bore revolver to carry when fishing, hiking and playing in the woods with my wife and kids, I settled on a CA Bulldog .44 Special. My first experience with the .44 Special proved to live up to the mystique and cult like following (consider me a member now LOL). The cartridge is remarkably accurate and a joy to re-load. No it's not a high capacity weapon, and No the slugs aren't traveling at bazillion FPS, but the old round will "get er done". Yes. I am hooked on the old .44 Special!

Off Hand and 21 feet, 5 shot group. (yep, I pulled a shot ;-( )

240 gr PFP and 214 gr Lee 429-214-swc

Boolits lubed and ready to load!

Be well folks
    Last edited by Duster340; 05-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have three revolvers chambered for 44 Special. I only have one chambered for 44 Magnum.

Boolit Master

I have owned several.

It is a fabulous cartridge.

Load a 240 gr SWC to about 800 fps and it is pleasant to shoot and plenty powerful.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Awesome round, I find my self shooting my 44 special more than my 44 mags and if I do shoot my 44 mags it is with 44 special rounds love my lipseys blackhawk

Boolit Buddy
    .44 Special. You need one.
    Attachment 104718
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Yep, have two and probably need another one or two before it's all over.

I got my first .44 special a year ago for Christmas. It's a Lipsey's Bisley flat top. It is very pleasant to shoot with medium loads, much more pleasant than my .44 magnum. I'm still working on dialing in the perfect load for it, but so far Bullseye has given me my best groups.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have a couple of .44Spl revolvers and the cartridge has become a favorite of mine.
    I started out with a stainless Taurus 5- shot DA revolver that became a favorite of my teenage son.
    I was so impressed with the cartridge that when the Lipsey's announced the flat top Ruger Blackhawk several years ago, I went out the very next day and ordered one.
    I have a pretty strong suspicion that there will be more .44Spl revolvers in my future.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had a 44 special since the late 90's and a 44 mag or two for a lot longer. I shoot both about as often.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze