RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA witness 45 acp worth owning?

Banned

EAA witness 45 acp worth owning?

I let common sense go for brief time Sunday and purchased a used EAA Witness in 45acp. At first glance it looks a lot like the S&W version of the tried and proven 1911. It has an awsome trigger pull and is both single and double action.

Anyone have one of these? Any experience with them?

Banned

Banned
    Attachment 104634

I cut the comp off in the other pictures

Boolit Master
    I have heard their customer service isn't the best, but I generally hear good things about the guns.

Boolit Mold
    The witness is a clone of the CZ75. I have several, and have nothing bad to say. I've not needed to use the customer service, but haven't heard great things about it. I haven't shot one with a comp. Let us know how yours shoots.

Dave

Boolit Master

Loved mine and sometimes still regret trading it off. Never a hitch and a real good shooter.

Boolit Master

I have had one for years and never had a problem of any kind with it.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

I had a used Witness in 9mm for several years and fired many thousands of cast boolet handloads through it , i recently sold the Witness 9mm to a shooting buddy and bought a new EAA Witness Elite Match in 9mm , i am very impressed with the accuracy and all the upgraded features of the Match! IMO alot of gun for $575.00 !
    My BIL also has a Witness in 9mm with a conversion kit in 40S&W as well as a triple port comp barrel assy in 40 S&W for about 20 years and many rounds down range.

Yep. It's a clone of the CZ 75, and is a fine pistol. I had one in .45, and found it to be too bulky for me to shoot well, but I currently own a .40, and like it very much. Good find, hope you enjoy it.

Google EAA Witness, and you should find a ton of info. Henningshootsguns.com is a good source of info and parts.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I shoot bowling pins with a guy who has a .45 not sure which model but he loves it such hr bought a .40 I am very interested in them myself I have shot the cz97 SNF was very impressed but it was a big gun. Keep us posted as to what you learn about it as you shoot it

They're good solid pistols, made by Tanfoglio in Italy. I've got about 9 or 10 of them in all the calibers they offer, plus some calibers they don't offer. Great ergonomics and very accurate. They're also very easy to work on, if needed, and CDNN sells magazines for them.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I have the Witness Match in .45 ACP very nice weapon and fits my hands perfectly. Very accurate. 8)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAA-Tanfoglio_Witness_Match_45cal_Left.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	104733

Boolit Grand Master
    They're big and heavy, which is why I parted company with mine, but I think they are excellent guns. I particularly liked the safety arrangement. If you don't mind the weight, you'll be very pleased.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    I could tell there was a little extra weight but it didn't bother me.

I've looked thru all the info I could find but was unable to find one with a comp on it.

They were a special run several years ago. I've got one just like it. Mine shoots anything I want to put in the magazine. They're great range guns, and built like a tank.

This site has a lot of information about the Witnesses: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=27.0

Lately there has been a lot of posting there about the other CZ clones, but there's also a lot of information on the Tanfoglio pistols. (shameless cheap plug: I'm one of the moderators on that site)

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Besides the piss poor customer service the only negative I hear around is the 10mm. Everything else is GTG. I was thinking on buying a 9mm for the truck

Banned
    I hate to say this but I've never had to contact customer service about any firearm I've owned.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I hate to say this but I've never had to contact customer service about any firearm I've owned.
    And typically you never need to the only reason why its been bad is on the 10mm when their frames and slides break with it not being used much doesn't help

I've got four Witnesses in 10mm, and they've been shot a lot. No frame or slide cracking on any of them.

In fact, I've got Witnesses in .22 LR, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25 Dillon, 357 Sig, .38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 AE and .45 acp. I've never had to send one back to EAA, or deal with Paul Rickford, the person known for his bad attitude. I have dealt with him face to face at a couple of the SHOT Shows, and we pretty much agreed not to speak to each other anymore.

The guns aren't made by EAA (European American Armory). They're made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and imported into the U.S. by EAA. Prior to EAA, they were imported by F.I.E. and Springfield. Springfield marketed theirs as the P-9.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've got four Witnesses in 10mm, and they've been shot a lot. No frame or slide cracking on any of them.

In fact, I've got Witnesses in .22 LR, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25 Dillon, 357 Sig, .38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 AE and .45 acp. I've never had to send one back to EAA, or deal with Paul Rickford, the person known for his bad attitude. I have dealt with him face to face at a couple of the SHOT Shows, and we pretty much agreed not to speak to each other anymore.

The guns aren't made by EAA (European American Armory). They're made by Tanfoglio in Italy, and imported into the U.S. by EAA. Prior to EAA, they were imported by F.I.E. and Springfield. Springfield marketed theirs as the P-9.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Out of curiosity what kind of 10mm are you using for you loads for your witness? Out of the problems ive read about (many of them) none of them had problems shoting weak 10mm loads but when they are using like Underwood Ammo that's when they see the problems. I remember one had their frame cracked and they told them he voided the warranty because he used undewood ammo. They said it was considered a +P even though Underwood is in SAAMI spec.