RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else notice something odd?

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone else notice something odd?

In recent months I've seen more than a few threads by folks with join dates of more than a few years ago with very low post counts asking newbie-type questions. Some even seem to be bordering on trolling. I'm wondering if someone is hacking inactive member info to conceal identity. Not sure why, but IME hackers seem to derive pleasure in ways I don't understand.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    I see what you see, but from my comprehension on the matter, it is just members who are just now getting into casting. I see it as normal and hopefully they learn a lot and get set up casting safely and successfully.

Moderator Emeritus

As Love Life...I see it too.

I've probably joined a hundred forums in the past decade, usually to ask one question or two, then never to return.

With all the newbies to reloading since the newtown shooting, and shortages of components...some are entering the casting hobby. They 'find' castboolits again and ask the newbie questions...seems simple enough, I don't think it's a troll thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I hope ya'll are right, makes sense anyway. Just seemed odd. I like new folks, even if they joined more than a few years back. I'm comparably new around here myself. Just hard for me to imagine folks being members since 2005 or 2009 with only a few posts. Sometimes life gets in the way, I guess. My initial casting setup remained boxed up for a few years while I dealt with estate matters.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been a member since 2007 and have only a few over 100 posts even though I visit here almost daily. . No particular motives. Some people just listen more than they talk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by parson48 View Post
    I've been a member since 2007 and have only a few over 100 posts even though I visit here almost daily. . No particular motives. Some people just listen more than they talk.
    Point taken. I post more than most but I spend most of my time reading and quite often making notes on subjects I'm working on. I think that someone like you would have quite a bit to contribute, but to each his own.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've probably joined a hundred forums in the past decade, usually to ask one question or two, then never to return.
    Ditto. I got a list of passwords and handles on the wall for sites I've only been to once or twice, usually on a reference to check em out, and just haven't had a reason to go back. But I keep the passwords so I don't have to go through registering again, if I ever get interested in that site's offerings.

I wouldn't be able to tell you my post count here without looking. Once you get past enough required to buy and sell, it's not really a milestone.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-11-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    New people with high post counts may be the real trolls. Have you posted something worthwhile or just to see your post count go up. Some good members have recently left.

Boolit Mold
    I could fit in that criteria. I've been registered here for a couple of years, when I first started reloading, and have rarely posted anything until recently.

When i first started out, I was using a 200 grain .452 rnfp commercial cast bullet and couldn't find any data in my books for loading for it for .45acp. At the time I'd just started out, and only had a couple of load manuals. A member of another forum I frequent sent me here and told me if it had to do with cast boolits, I'd find the answers here. He was right.

I have visited this site often since I first joined up. I've read many of the stickies, tons of threads, and studied a lot of the things I'd never really thought about such as gas checks and alloys. I haven't asked a lot of questions because pretty much anything I was curious about was somewhere on this site if I read long enough. I think many longtime members here don't realize how many people they actually reach out to when they reply to posts. You may answer one person's post but there may be many others with the same problem that find their answer in your replies.

After running short on some 40 s&w bullets, I've decided to try to cast my own. Thanks to members from this site, I've started making a list of equipment I'd need to cast for two calibers. I hope to place an order by the middle of the week, so now I find myself posting more, with what are probably simple questions that have been asked a thousand times.

Not sure about other posters, but with some commercial casters going up in price and having delays in orders, (zcast bullets has a 6 week delay) maybe they are ready to try casting boolits too.

I look forward to trying my hand at boolit casting and am confident. Not only in my abilities but in all of the members' abilities as well. I know that there isn't a mistake that hasn't already been made, or something that someone here hasn't seen, or a problem that can't be fixed with the knowledge accumulated on this site. For that i am thankful to all of you that take the time to answer questions or share your knowledge and experiences with this fascinating hobby.

But, but, but.... What about all them cool boolits you get next to your name??? Those are milestones tooooooooo...

Boolit Master

I don't know about everyone else but it takes some time to read all the stickies. Then you go and try to make some boolits. Then the questions come up.

Boolit Master
    Trolls? I have seen a few that were new members and kind of anti gun.. I haven't seen it in a while though. When the libs were pushing gun control it seemed to really pick up. I just figured it was anti gun trolls...

Boolit Master

low post counts

I don`t have very many post to this site, I come here at least morning and night , I read most of the thread`s , I have learned alot from the fine people here . and have made some friends . Sure someday when I retire I`ll probably post more. I was here before the date on my avatar, I think it was around 2000-2001 that I joined up . Yes there are alot of new people getting into reloading (to save money and maybe shoot more) and it seem`s that everybody is in a hurry , so many don`t read the stickies or try to do there own research, they just ask a question and want a fast answer.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    But, but, but.... What about all them cool boolits you get next to your name??? Those are milestones tooooooooo...
    Some 'low' alloy types thrive on those "numbers" .
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Galena Guru

cud be like me , there has been at least twice that I have not been on here for a year or so .. I just recently came back .. Some post more than others ..

There is one shooting forum I am on ( since 2002 ) , that I visit regularly and my post count is under 150 ..

I'm a reader more than a poster .. I don't usually post just to agree with a point someone lese has made ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Anyone else notice something odd?

Im a relative newbie to casting but not reloading and shy away from asking those questions for fear of being cast off as a *******. I wish there could be sticky with the basic 101 type stuff and not all spread out over the site. I do like reading all the different topics but find it hard to sort through everything to get an answer without
    10 new simple questions popin up. Im not one of the impatient need it now people but also dont want to waste half a day reading "me too" or "i agree" from a hundred people.

Boolit Bub

not really odd..

I lurk around in here, mostly in the gunsmithing section.
    only cast & load 3 different sizes now .38/357, .44special/.44 mag and the big boomer .500S&W .
    pretty much settled on loads that work for me in my guns.. and don't want to bore everyone with my ramblings .
    but love the wealth of info here on the fourm..

Boolit Master

Oh, heck yeah.... I bought all my stuff, collected WW's, even poured up some ingots with my RCBS bottom pour. Didn't know any better at the time... Finished raining the kids, THEN got back to melting some lead. Life does get in the way. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Have you posted something worthwhile or just to see your post count go up. Some good members have recently left.
    I've been known to do both. It's all part of having fun here. When a member chooses to leave, it's because of some reason they've chosen to act upon.
    I get tired of "newbie" questions without doing some basic work or the famous "gimme" threads that are so prevalent. When I get frustrated, I take a break and come back later. It really is that simple.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Well, I joined back in 2009, but did have some problems signing in, so I stayed away for a while. It wasn't until about a year ago that I felt I needed to learn more. I have been playing around melting lead since I was a young boy, and one of my goals has been to shoot a deer with a boolit I cast myself. I didn't really start casting boolits until a friend gave me a Lee pot and 12 molds (all BP, which is ok, because I do own a couple of ML's, but I don't shoot them much) I do cast for my RBH, and want to cast for my 30 cal rifles. Got a mold, but life does get in the way, even in retirement. (Bought a fixer upper back in '97. Still working on it, one big project a year, with a bunch smaller projects in between, and fixing stuff for my family) Sometimes, I find myself replying to a post, having 2nd thoughts about replying, and end up deleting my reply. I do enjoy this site, and I'm here every day, sometimes twice a day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast