RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To knee or not to knee?

Boolit Master
    I had both Knees replaced in 2005,6 months between each operation.I came to a stage where my quality of life was awfull.Initialy after each one there is a period of uncomfortable pain,slowly reducing for about 3 months.I started in each case to exercise by walking short distances and slowly increasing them.it is important to build muscle around the replacements so working them is necessary.Bed time was uncomfortable until I bought a large plastic box and cut the ends out to keep the sheets off the wound.Although 77 years of age I can go shooting,tend my large garden and generaly do any thing I wish.Go for it, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Boolit Master
    Before going for surgery think through what you will benefit from while healing up at home. Make lots of easy to reheat meals and put them in the freezer. Consider how you will shower and if you need to go out and buy a shower seat. Handicap height raiser for the toilet? Help to just make it through the initial healing time where you will be very handicapped. Get everything you can think of in place for the first few weeks after having them done. One at a time or two together. If you do two you might find you don't have a leg to stand on for a while, but you get it over with. If you do one you might find you can hobble around a little quicker, but then you have to do it again.

Stock up on what you will need while you are recovering so you do not have to worry about having these things while you are stuck mostly in bed. Figure out what the recovery path will be and how to make it as easy as possible. You are not going shopping for a while and you are not standing in front of a stove. You going to need lots of ice to chill the wound initially?

Go around your home and make sure you move things that can get in the way of an invalid moving around. Loose rugs and other stuff - move them into a corner for a while. You don't want to trip over anything.

Check to see what the doctor plans on using for replacement parts and if the manufacturer is the best one for you and why. Rehab is critical.

As you can see the majority of folks here who have done it are positive. Be careful do rehab like the future of your knees depend on it. After rehab be careful to continue to carefully continue working on building them up over time.

Boolit Buddy

I had mine done last September, and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you have a choice, ask the doctor about the Stryker Get Around Knee, it is the best of the best. I have no more pain in that knee at all. The left will be done towards the end of the year after my back surgery. Go ahead and do it, you won't regret it.

Boolit Master
    Pb234 You hit the nail squarely on the head.
    My experience has all been bad with my opp. Next week I go in to have the Doc. telescopically (sp) loosen the muscle around some scarring. I have continual stiffness, pain tremors at night, occasional non-locking of the knee.
    I religiously exercised my knee throughout my therapy multiple times a day. So I know my problems aren't caused by lack of effort on my part.
    Even after 5 months my knee is still the size it was immediately after surgery.
    An I supposedly went to the best Doc. in the state of Minn. at our University.

Boolit Master
    kbstenberg,I too had a lot of pain during the recovery period.A great help was a bag of Frozen Peas placed on the painfull area,you will find that this goes a long way to help your recovery since the swelling is what gives you the pain by restricting the joint movement.Please try it you will not be disappointed.Our shower at home is the type over the Bath,a seat that fits across the Bath will make life a lot easier.The Box with the ends cut out is good to keep the wound from touching the bed clothes.A Pillow or cushion under the Knee when you lie down will keep the knee slightly bent and be more comfortable.When up and about bend the Knee and straighten the leg to it limits.I have been where you are and remember it vividly.P S,do,nt eat the Peas after they have been refrozen umpteen times

Boolit Master

I had my left knee replaced a couple years ago. Glad I did. I will be having my right one done when it gets bad enough that the pain in walking with it over rides the replacement recovery. Make sure you do the therapy.
    The "pain" previously described during the healing process (to me) is the soreness from being cut open and the muscles moved around. That is to be expected when recovering any surgery. I do believe that I have a higher tolerance to pain than some, but less than others.
    I donated a kidney to my brother in 2002 and they booted me out of the hospital 3 days after the surgery. I took only one pain pill after getting back home. No real pain, just sore from the procedure.
    Do it, you will be a happier man.
    Regards
    Jack

Thank you to all that have responded. I am looking at the same thing (Left knee) and it's bone on bone. I've had folks tell me that it was the best thing they ever did and they wished they hadn't waited so long, but I'm a tad nervous about this. I've had the steroids (which helped for about 2 weeks) and the 3 shot regimen. I'm still not sure of this procedure as sometimes I'm good and other times I'm not. I can still get around pretty well but have gone to the ground twice in the last 2 years because of it. I do amaze my 4 yo Grandson by being able to run a little . I've got an appointment with my Doc tomorrow to discuss the options. For those that have had it done, how long has it been? The Doc is telling me they are supposed to last 30 years but he figures more likely 10. Does that sound about right? Thanks, Joe

Boolit Master

You can go on line and look at a video of the procedure. It looks some painful, and would be if the patient wasn't snoozing.
    My doctor ask me if I wanted the shots? I told him, " if the shots are only going to delay the inevitable, I would rather have
    the surgery". He said "well, we'll make you an appointment as soon as you want". So, we made one real soon.
    We have renowned surgeons here in Eugene Oregon, just make sure that your surgeon has a "great" track record with this
    particular surgery. Pray to our Lord.
    All the best with your medical issues.
    Jack

Moderator Emeritus

You already have my opinion on it, get it done, you will be good to go by winter, and I will come up there and make you do the rehab. Had to do it with dad with his knee and fred with his hip.
    You dont want to be down for deer season or winter, GIT R DONE!
    If you do not stand for something, you stand for nothing.

You can't spell "restore" with h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y.

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12