22. You may not vote on this poll
  • dive in

17 77.27%
  • check in

5 22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: odd roller found

odd roller found

I found the oddest rem rolling block to day. it has 1902 as the last Patten date a #5 I think. very nice re blue with a slim and short 18 in barrel a hood and post front sight and no rear sight .the stock has a Monty Carlo type with cheek piece and the right hand side of the comb is under cut so the right hand nestles into the comb like a wave rolling over your hand. all so it is 30/40 imp chambered. everything is in very good shape.it may have worn a Lyman receiver sight at one time. I have wanted a nice roller and this in no way resembles what I hade in mind . how ever it is growing on me what a great south Texas brush gun this wood be , say with hogs in the mesquite with super fast handling with a kind of a single point ghost ring sight and very light weight. the price was $350.00 . should I dive in? or check in to the coo coo suite?

When you get it home, don't forget to bring us photos!

wow the cost of 30/40 imp dies at midways around $450+ bucks- dang!!!! need to get my thinking cap on.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by propwashp47 View Post
    wow the cost of 30/40 imp dies at midways around $450+ bucks- dang!!!! need to get my thinking cap on.
    Contact Buckshot. Ask if he will make the die bodies. Then rent the reamers from Pacific, and have him make the interiors. Bet it would be a LOT cheaper!

As is, it would be cheaper to re-barrel, (which I would be inclined to do) than to spend that much on dies.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

re- barrel has been on my mind all so re-stock and sights. I did find a guy with unknown cal sewage. pipe and a bunch of 45-70 liners.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds to me like this isn't what you really want; but it could be the basis of a custom rifle. I'm not real up to date on action costs, but $350 doesn't sound to bad in todays dollars for a complete action.

If I were to rebarrel it, I would not mess with a sewer pipe and liner, I would go straight to a new, quality barrel.

I'm also not into hot-rodding Rolling Blocks, I don't think that they are unsafe, but they aren't a good bolt action either.

CH4D has 30-40 Imp 40 degree dies for about $84.00. the big question is: just what improved reamer was used?

Robert

set back the threads and chamber for 30-30 or .45 colt with a throat for wide meta plate wood be very nice. i may be get a hold or good steel and see how much cash for the job. then all I wood need is a stock. and a 14 lbs roller there is one 5 miles away at cabelas $1200.00

in Remebrance
    FWIW: I've been shooting a Martini with an Ackley barrel in 30/40AI since '69. Takes a 180grn RN Hornady moving at 2200fps (I don't load heavy), still gives me dime size groups @ 100. Almost that good with a RD311165GC. Have never had a deer or hog walk away, well actually one deer did but got it a couple hundred yards away. My recommendation: grab that rifle, take it home and do a chamber cast and work with what you got. You will never regret it. GW

Slip up and tell me where it is and I'm subject to sneaking over and snatching it away.
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master

I believe Lee will make you collet die for it for 50.00
    Charter Member #148

Just my two pennies.......

That rifle sounds an awful lot like a really fun challange! I would dive in with both feet and get busy chamber casting. The lee collett die is a very nice way to resize brass I have a few of those. A hog gun indeed!

odd rb

I think some one put a lot of themselves in to this one. its just so odd. only a front ghost and post front for a ultra fast 1 st shot. not for paper groups at all. and the over hand curl of the stock just odd. very odd. but its keeps growing on me
    Last edited by propwashp47; 05-11-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a .30-40 Improved Martini I found a few years back. I would recommend you get someone to make the dies for your specific chamber, eventually. Mine is quite a bit longer in the body than PO Ackley's and holds 59 gr of water in Winchester brass. Convenient since it is the same volume as 7.62x54r. I have been using a Lee 303 British collet die set for 4 loadings so far without any issues. Use a washer on the shell holder thick enough to keep the collet away from the altered shoulder. It makes for a cheap way to get them loaded, and the mandrel for the bigger bore .303 is just about right for a proper sized cast bullet.

thanks texsassko I had been guessing a lee 4 die 303 might work if I can keep the shoulders. neat trick with the washer. wow that is a lot more vol than I wood have thought. it dose have a fired case with it, that and a cast of the chamber wood start me on the road. I dot know jack from wild cats, and thought 30/40 imp be a one size fits all . man I wish it came with dies

Boolit Master

I just paid $300 for a #5 action that is clean. The price for this rifle sounds good. It could be rebarreled to anything within reason, try to stay with 45,000 psi or less. I'm working on one now in 7X65R. Custom made reloading dies can be expensive, they start with making a reamer to match your chamber ( about .006" undersized) then make the die using the reamer. Because the die has to be smaller than the chamber the chamber reamer can not be used to make a die.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been loading for a Contender 30-30 AI for about 15 years at least with a Hornady 30 cal neck size die. I do have a Lee 30-30 AI die but it is not a good match so only use it when the case needs to be full length sized. This method might work for you also.

Boolit Master

Another thing to consider is that 18" barrel. Would bet in the AI it would be a real ear ringer and you would never get close to Ackley performance.
    You have a superb action. Cheaper than trying to buy a set of Ackley dies would be to pick a better caliber and rebarrel.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master

If you want dies at a reasonable price call Dave Davidson at CH4D. He probably has them on the shelf.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by propwashp47 View Post

$60.00 http://www.eabco.com/store/reloading...eloading-dies/

$150.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/112...egree-shoulder

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If you want dies at a reasonable price call Dave Davidson at CH4D. He probably has them on the shelf.
    A second vote for the CH/4D folks. Great service and lots of odd dies and such at good prices........sometimes half of what others want to charge.

I have several of their die sets and they are A-1 quality stuff.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!