Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 44 mag vs 41

Boolit Buddy

44 mag vs 41

Would there be any reason to get a 41 mag barrel if I already own a 44 mag in contender. The only reason I ask is I picked up 300 brass and some cast and hp bullets for 20 bucks and it got the gears thinkin I need another barrel. 41 would just be like shooting the 44 with reduced loads and wouldnt really be of a benefit. Except, as an excuse to buy another barrel
    Last edited by shooterbob; 05-09-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Boolit Master

Don't underrate the 41 magnum; do some looking around at powder charges and ballistics.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    The 41 Mag is an outstanding cartridge, in it's own right. It gives up very little (if any) to the 44 Mag in the medium game hunting fields, and could be a better all-around choice in many scenarios.
    I have used both extensively for almost 40 years. Although I love them both, I will readily admit that I generally favor 41. It's more limited component choices and availabilty could be considered a disadvantage by some, though.
    Thank goodness we don't have to choose only one.

Boolit Master
    I've got both, but then again I have them both in a Redhawk's as well. Is there a real reason NOT too....
    Later,
    Mike / TX

I have both in blackhawks and shoot the 44 more because of brass availability. The deer cant tell the difference. Just sell the stuff or swap it for more 44 brass and slugs. If you want I will double your money on the stuff for you
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by shooterbob View Post
    41 would just be like shooting the 44 with reduced loads and wouldnt really be of a benefit.
    Hardly! While there is no solid reason why you should choose the 41 instead of the 44, this comparison is not fair either. My 41 Rem Mag loads use 245 grain bullets at the same speeds as my 44 Rem Mag loads with the same weight bullets.

If that 41 Rem Mag barrel is 10" and in good condition, you can sell it to me for a fair price. I'd like to have it.

Take care, Tom

I am holding my breath, waiting, for Marlin to release their 1894 in .41 Magnum...
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    I had a Marlin 1894 in 41 Magum but sold it later as for my shooting it had nothing to offer over the .44 Magnum. I do still have a .41 Magnum revolver and single shot.

If a 41 gives the same velocity as a 44 with the same bullet it is due either to choice of loads or the 44 being excessively pressure sensitive. The larger bore when loaded to the same pressure should always give the higherr velocity.

Moderator Emeritus

The only disadvantage the 41 has is in mold and brass availability.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have been shooting the .41 Rem.Mag. for 35 yrs. have never had a "component issue".My experience has been opposite.No .44 Rem.Mag components was a issue. I have 2 S&W 57's and a Blackhawk and always been able to buy brass.I don't shoot j bullets just cast from some great molds bought here. I have well over 1500 pieces of brass most has been bought in the past 5 yrs.Starline has been reliable source with periodic runs,no hesitation for me which I would choose .41 Mag all day every day.

Boolit Master
    The only honest way I could justify both would be "I want it and I can afford it!" If had neither I could be happy with the first platform that i could buy at an acceptable price.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Grand Master

The 41 mag does not suffer from the out of spec cylinders like the 44 mag. Also bore sizes are much more consistent. I am talking about SAAMI specs, which is .432" for cast for the 44 and .410" for 41 mag jacketed and .411" for 41 mag cast. Also the brass is not the same length with 44 mag being 1.285" and the 41mag. 1.290".
    I have shot the 41 for about 10 years longer than the 44 mag. If I had to chose I would keep the 41 mag. Just seems easier to hit informal targets at ranges around 200 yards plus with the 41 mag. In my Ruger Hunter model Super Blackhawk I shoot the Saeco truncated cone at 220grs to over 1,500 fps with no issues. I can also slow it down if I desire.
    The 44 mag does shoot the 300gr + projectiles faster than the 41 mag does but I do not shoot these much anymore.
    I suppose it all comes down to personal preference.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterbob View Post
    Would there be any reason to get a 41 mag barrel if I already own a 44 mag in contender. The only reason I ask is I picked up 300 brass and some cast and hp bullets for 20 bucks and it got the gears thinkin I need another barrel. 41 would just be like shooting the 44 with reduced loads and wouldnt really be of a benefit. Except, as an excuse to buy another barrel
    No reason not to, excuse not needed...........

Larry Gibson

.41 would be an instant sell out for Handi's.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    None, zip... I owned 44's (actually .430) and still shoot .410 and there is no dicernable difference when the same weight bullet made of the same mix is pushed at the same velocity and smakes the same target material.
    It is like comparing the 44 to the 45 Colt... Little difrence. All I can say is the bigger diameter could possible make a bigger hole.
    But compare the .45 Colt to the .41 (I shoot both) and now you have a big diameter difference.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I first started casting and reloading for a BH in 41 Magnum. I loaded it WAY TOO HOT with big bullets. And there was no need. It would cloverleaf at 50 yards with 215gr SWCs at around 1200 fps.

I never thought about a 44 Magnum til I started over after the divorce. I really saw no differance in either caliber. I would want either but not both. Like Mike in Peru said, the big differance comes when you go up to 45s.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....