Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shortening a barrel

Boolit Grand Master

shortening a barrel

I was curious and would like some information from those of you that have knowledge of this:
    if I were to shorten a pistol barrel from a fairly accurate pistol that is currently 7.5" to say 6-5.5" would I ruin the accuracy or would the gun shoot the same?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Properly crowned shortening shouldn't change it's accuracy one way or the other. Or so I think

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

"Moderator Emeritus"

I shortened my Redhawk's 7.5" barrel to 4". It did not affect accuracy as far as I can tell, but it sure is more comfortable to carry now.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

I would really love to know the answer to this too, for 10 to 6.5.

Groo here
    Barrel length as such has little effect on the accuracy of a gun.
    Unless there is a bad spot that you cut out [tight or ruff] or get away from the sweet spot [hard to do with a handgun] all you will do is:
    Slow it down- make it noisier -and make the gun lighter .
    The physics will change , kick,flash,rotation etc , but what ever the gun would do before , it will still do .
    It depends on YOU...

Boolit Master
    One of the gun mags did a test years ago, shortening a 10" Ruger SBH 1 inch at a time to test velocity loss. As I recall, they used the super accurate method of a chop saw to cut the barrel. All the testing was in a Ransom Rest, and at some odd barrel length, groups shrank noticeably in that particular gun. I doubt you will be able to tell a difference, and if your crowning job is better than the factory, it might shoot better.

Boolit Master
    Unless you have a gun with a good target crown on it, if you shorten it and do a good crown, more than likely accuracy will improve. I have an old stevens 325, made in 1947 using a surplus machine gun barrel. Economy rifle needless to say a target crown was not a feature. It has been shot but not shot out, probably spent a long time in grandpas closet before it was sold to the LGS. Old guy knew the original owner, said it didnt get used much. It was accurate enough for a 30/30. I put it in the lathe to put some threads on the end, put a nice crown on it at the same time. That 60 something yo rifle will put 200gr cast bullets in nickel size groups now.

I did a little work on a 10/22 barrel somebody gave me. Standard carbine barrel, straight cut on the end. I was messing around, what can I do with it. A proper crown on it and it shoots not much worse than a .920 target barrel.

As long as the work is done properly, dont think you have much to worry about.

Banned

7-1/2" to 6", NO. but as you shorten too much you will find velocity and spin will need different loads and powders. That depends on calibers and case capacities.
    A .38 is different then a .475 or .500 with a 4" barrel, Some actually want a .454 or 45-70 in 4"!

Boolit Master
    Generally speaking the shorter any barrel is the more accurate it is due to being stiffer. So the answer is most likely your shorter barrel will be more accurate. But this comes with a trade off and that is loss of sight radius and muzzle heaviness which will cause most people to be less accurate.
    East Tennessee

Banned

Spin of the boolit is more important. I have a theory that as the barrel is shortened, the spin should be faster. You do not get much stiffer then 10" so a 4" stiffness is a moot point.
    Please show me a 4" is more accurate with large calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

It really depends on who does the work. Done properly by a skilled person with the proper tools ...no problem. Done by me in my garage with a hacksaw and file....problem.
    The cut has to be 90 degrees to the bore, a proper crown is a must and the sights have to be relocated. I cut the barrel on a 1895 Spanish Mauser I was sporterizing....thought I could do it. It never shot worth a hoot after that and I had to have a gunsmith fix my bubba work.
    The smith recut , crowned and installed Williams adjustable sporter sights , to match the shorter barrel length and then it would shoot groups a quarter would cover.
    Gary

Moderator Emeritus

Quite a few years ago I had a gunsmith shorten a Super Blackhawk to 4-5/8"...not only did he do a super job he also removed the barrel and turned it so the Ruger warning was gone, and reblued the barrel.....no accuracy issue except when I didnt do the proper sight alignment and breathing.....etc.....you should be good to go.....best of luck!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't have much to offer than what has already been said . . .

A few months ago, I was in the midst of buying two vintage Smith & Wessons from a gunshot that has been around for years and well known for their gunsmithing abilities. I just happened to have one of the older gunsmiths waiting on me so I brought up the same question. I was curious if I ran across a longer barreled M & P that had a "flaw" near the end of the barrel if it was better to "re-barrel" or "cut back". (I had passed one up the week before that had a bulge about an 1" from the muzzle - a 66" M & P). His reply was that he always preferred to cut and re-crown if possible. It's "all int he crown". Other things may change such as noise, etc. as already noted - but accuracy shouldn't be affected.

Over the years, I have run across revolvers that were "shortened" but done by someone with a hacksaw and a file. After talking with the gunsmith, I won't "write those off" and "pass 'em by" anymore if the price is right. If I like 'em, I'd just have "em recrowned.

Let us know what you end up doing with your revolver. For carrying, especially SA revolvers - I too much prefer a shorter barrel. Good luck!

I took 2 inches off my bfr 475 ended up with a 5.5 inch well balanced good lookin easy to to carry easier to shoot more fun of a gun as for velocity my gun lost 25 fps accuracy improved as I shoot shorter barrel better but I buy a handgun to be carried month hip or a shoulder hoster . if it needs a sling it needs a butt stock. Ymmv

Boolit Master
    The chances of it being as accurate is a variable: If you find a new load = to what you had, if you can control the shorter barrel as the shooter, if the additional recoil doesn't bother you, if the gunsmith does a great shortening job, if the sights are replaced expertly eough, if the law allows allow you to use it for hunthing in your state (barrel Length), If the rotation/speed of your given projectile/bullit is enough to stabilize, etc,.

There is more to it than just saying I want a shoter barrel. Expense. You might find it cheaper to sell and/keep and just get a barrel/revolver combination you think you want at the moment, more than one gun never hurts. Price wise over a couple years as things seem to be going you would be way ahead by keeping and buying another, just my opinion!

Boolit Master
    Recently I had that done to a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 44 Magnum. It was 7-1/2'', shortened to about 5-1/4. The angle of the forcing cone was changed too, to help with cast bullets. The gun shoots better than ever! Expert work performed by D&D gunsmiths in Troy Michigan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00176.jpg  
    Last edited by wallenba; 05-11-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Banned

My short limit is 5.5" to 6", powder seems to burn Ok there but not with something like the BFR 45-70, 10" is a chore, can't imagine shorter. I shot IHMSA and even a 10" 30-30 was a real PITA for powders. Most with larger case capacity used 14" and 15" barrels.
    You might think cutting another inch or so will work with a large caliber until you try to find anything other then a huge "bang."

Hey David you are the only one that has to be happy with that gun. If it is awkward to carry and shoot like mine was wack it off. I personally wouldn't go to 4.5 inches but at 5.5-6 is where I went. You have a bunch of personal experience shooting guns and I know you have shortened at least one big bore so you are just as qualified to make the decision. If you don't like it I'm sure magnum research will be happy to screw a mini rifle barrel on there if you decide yo go that direction. Follow your heart have fun and snap a few photos along the way so we can all sit and wish it was ours but it's yours so enjoy it might amigo take care

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    One of the gun mags did a test years ago, shortening a 10" Ruger SBH 1 inch at a time to test velocity loss. As I recall, they used the super accurate method of a chop saw to cut the barrel. All the testing was in a Ransom Rest, and at some odd barrel length, groups shrank noticeably in that particular gun. I doubt you will be able to tell a difference, and if your crowning job is better than the factory, it might shoot better.
    I recall that test. They took it down in one inch increments until there was basically nothing left.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I recall that test. They took it down in one inch increments until there was basically nothing left.
    Thats the one. It looked kinda funny with a 1" barrel sticking out of the frame. I think it was in the 4" barrel length area that groups shrank by a significant amount for some odd reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast