WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: 22 Hornet to 5mm Mag Centerfire

22 Hornet to 5mm Mag Centerfire

I was raised on a farm by a dad who could build anything and he taught me to do the same. I say that because everything I use to make this brass is homemade. I modified the bolt and made a center fire firing pin a few years ago (since the rim fire ammo has come out I made a rim fire firing pin, just in case I want to try it). I ordered dies and brass from Schroeder. Looking at the brass I saw that the base and rim were turned on a lathe. That gave me the idea that I could make it.

I made a die that would size the Hornet brass down to .260. Next step was to trim most of the brass off. I made a die to form the neck, by trial and error I found that the brass needs to be annealed first. I them trimmed to length (I do this now because I have yet to make a collet that will hold a 5mm in my case trimmer). Now to the lathe, turning the base and rim down was a real pain because of the multiple steps that had to be done. One day I figured out how to do it in one step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-030E.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	104340

I turned a piece to mount in my tail stock that would help support the brass and provide a shoulder to turn to. I turn toward the tail stock in this operation.

Name:	MVC-032E.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	104341

The idea I had to do all the turning in one step was to grind a tool bit that, when the head was turned to .260 the rim thickness and diameter would be correct.

Name:	MVC-033E.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	104342

Full length size, clean up the brass and load.

Time wise I would be better off to order the brass but there is a good feeling I get from doing something myself.

Name:	MVC-026E.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	104343

Very nicely done. I've wondered about the steps necessary to do this. I'm in need of more 5mm brass but no one is selling any lately.

As you can see, I am new to this forum. I have a question for those of you in the know. Since this is a cast boolet forum, should I not have posted this thread? I am sorry if I did something wrong and I will ask the moderators to delete it if they like.
    Bill

THAT is magnificent.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I see no problem with this thread. We're about casting boolits and everything else about our sport, and then some. Post away!

Boolit Mold

Name:	5MMform.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	214961

Thanks for the help bill!

Bill,

I have thought of doing this many times, but can't seem to get the idea of how you can maintain the brass thickness needed right above the solid head.
    In my mind it seems as though you would have a very thin area after you turn the head to match the upper sized diameter.
    What I wanted to make was rimmed brass that was the same size approximately as the 5.7 X 28.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Bill,

I have thought of doing this many times, but can't seem to get the idea of how you can maintain the brass thickness needed right above the solid head.
    In my mind it seems as though you would have a very thin area after you turn the head to match the upper sized diameter.
    What I wanted to make was rimmed brass that was the same size approximately as the 5.7 X 28.

Jedman
    I can't speak specifically to your project, but when I'm doing similar things, I swage the body down to the point that I'm swaging the case webbing at least some as well, then when I'm turning the brass, I'm only really removing material from the case webbing area, so I'm not weakening it at all.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Very cool .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

What rifle? A Remington 591 surely. Please give details of the cf conversion. And pics? Post it where you want or continue it here! We are looking forward to it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I picked up the group buy mold for the 5mm Craig before I got the 591 to convert. Unfortunately the $$ ran out before I could finish. Then ammo came out. So I sit on my dream rifle from pre-teen years. Someday ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I am resurrecting this thread in the hope Bill comes along, ive just bought a 5mm Shroeder set up and would like some assistance on making or getting the cutting tool & pilot made.

Bill in Ky come on down

John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johno5mm View Post
    I am resurrecting this thread in the hope Bill comes along, ive just bought a 5mm Shroeder set up and would like some assistance on making or getting the cutting tool & pilot made.

Bill in Ky come on down

John
    Details, details!!

Boolit Master
    That's incredible.

Boolit Mold
    Details, ok i'm down under and these rifles when available sell pretty cheap because Aguila does not export here so ammo is hard to find

I picked a 592 from an old fella who bought it new in 1970 and put 1 1/2 boxes through it, I have been lucky enough to have a friend in the US send me 120 cases, dies & bolt head for the Schroeder conversion but seeing what Bill did I was mighty impressed and just hoping he would jump back on board

John

Boolit Master

I would like to get in contact with Schroeder. Anyone have his contact information?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was wondering, if you turn your brass is it hard enough? Do you start with a hardened brass or different alloy? I have always thought the brass was work hardened in the forming process. That’s why you have to be careful not to anneal too far down the case.

Boolit Mold
    Bill still has'nt come along and has'nt been on here which is a great shame. Got everything together just waiting the bullets to arrive then its play time

John

Boolit Master

http://5mmforums.com/forums/

Boolit Mold
    Unfortunately that forum is as dead as the dinosaurs. there is never any activity I joined mid last month. A lot more on here, rimfire central & saubier

John