Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Decapping Tool

Boolit Buddy

I also bought a spare with mine years ago, never had to use it. I have had to loosen the locknut and reset the rod a few times though. I deprime everything whether it is for the single stage (rifle rounds) or the progressive Dillon 550. The Dillon is finicky about having a CLEAN area around the primer transfer and seating area. Much easier to clean primer pockets out before any grit can get into the works to bugger up your day.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm not loading rifle rounds but do quite a few pistol. . . . I use the Lee Universal Depriming Die on a RCBS Jr 3 and it's worked out very well on the pistol brass I do. I've never broken a rod but I do have three spares in my "parts" box.

One thing I have noticed. As I sit with brass to be deprimed and feed it into the single stage, I get a "rhythm" going. Several times (since it's sort of a brainless operation) I haven't quite got the casing in the shell holder all the way. I insert it in the shell holder and find myself pulling the ram handle as I draw my hand back. Those times, I've thought that I could have either broken or bent the rod as it caught off center of the primer hole in the casing. I can easily see on a rifel cartridge, especially with a stubborn primer, how a person could bend/break the rod once in a while. The moral of the story for me was, "keep my mind on what I'm doing and make sure I have the casing fully slid into the shell holder.

Like I said, I have three spare rods in my parts box - I figured Murphy's Law would dictate that if I had spares on hand, I wouldn't need them. But, somewhere along the line I'm sure that "Law" will be shot full of holes! LOL

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Had mine a good while and never had a problem Then I found some commercial 223 brass on the range ( All show annealed necks and red stuff around the primers ...can't remember the headstamp though) A lot of resistance before the primer popped & I thought that strange for such a small case: about the 5th case, the pin broke but Lee replaced it no problem
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy

When I got permission to re-start, I bought a UDD and spare pin along with everything else. Had to loosen the rod a few times, (didn't have the brass properly placed) so already save money.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    Didn't know that Lee would replace them for free. Beesdad - just take a picture and email it to Lee? Or snail mail? I, too, thought the pin would just push up through the top of the die, but not this time. I wonder now about seaboltm's post - I posted here a little while ago about some 7.62 that were difficult to size. Wonder if... Man, I love this hobby. Always more to learn!
    Lee will replace them for free... No postage.. I just go to their web site and fill out their form take a photo and replacements are on the way within a few days.

I am running 5 loadmasters and 2 single stage presses .. Anytime I have had a part failure they have replaced it for free... No questions ask just send them a photo... What more could we expect?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beesdad View Post
    Lee will replace them for free... No postage.. I just go to their web site and fill out their form take a photo and replacements are on the way within a few days.

I am running 5 loadmasters and 2 single stage presses .. Anytime I have had a part failure they have replaced it for free... No questions ask just send them a photo... What more could we expect?
    I will try the photo email thing next time. I have very few Lee production line stuff (more on the custom order side) and I haven't received anything free after the warranty ran out.

I replaced the decapping rod once since I bought it in the 80s but I don't have any military brass.

Take care

r1kk1

Short range - ANYTHNG is possible. Pebble, odd brass, heavy crimp on a military case. Maybe I just got too heavy handed, though that's now seeming less likely.
    dragon - thanks for the link. I'll take care of this tonight.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

I've been using the UDD for a few years and never broken the rod. I have read on various boards that it's not all that uncommon. Sounds like a pretty painless replacement procedure, especially if Lee pays for it. I don't have a replacement, which pretty much guarantees that I will break it the next time I sit down.
    I will not sacrifice the idea that God is good on the altar of human reasoning
    in order to find an answer for what I don't understand or can't explain.

Boolit Master
    I broke one in the last year. As luck would have it, when I released the collet on top of the die I lost my grip on the de-capping pin dropping it neatly through the shell plate and into the hollow ram of my Load Master! Called Lee and after the lady on the phone was done laughing she sent me 2 new pins for free! It happens.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

I've been using one for years, works great! I've found the biggest enemy, besides Berdan brass, is little rocks or pebbles inside the cases. That'll break a pin in a flash.

Boolit Master
    I got an RCBS before Lee began to market their version. The problem with being "universal" is the die has to be able to accept any shell of any length or diameter. There is no guidance or support for the case as it is being raised against the decapping pin. So a tiny bit of misalignment bends the pin for sure.

I put the first case to be deprimed in the shell holder and push the handle down with the die only partially screwed into the press. I screw the die in until I feel some resistance, then I pull the press handle back a little, screwing the die in an additional partial turn. Letting the handle down gently, I can feel whether it is going into the flash hole. If not, a little wiggling of the case starts it in. Then I repeat the process, pulling back the handle and screwing in the die, until the primer falls out. I then screw the die fully in, pull the handle back and remove the case. The depriming pin is then centered and succeeding cases can be processed with no (or few) problems.

I still deprime more gingerly with the universal decapper than I generally do with regular full length sizer-decappers. Every slightly off-center flash hole or imperfectly inserted case is going to be obvious when that ram goes up to the die.

Boolit Buddy
    Just purchased a Lee 4 die set for my new Sig P250 in 40 S & W. Had 500 once fired cases to process, Sent all thru the tumbler to clean and last night I started decapping. After about 150 rounds the decapping pin slipped in the die but it didn't break.. I like this setup . Reset the pin per the minimal instructions with the die set and proceeded for another 125 or so and it slipped again and didn't break. Guess I got the collet set correctly the first time as it didn't break. The only problem I had was trying to get the case out of the shell holder with a primer half in & half out. Unscrewed the die, raised the ram, inserted wood rod with a small nail inserted into the end and finished knocking out the old primer. I did notice that the rod was lightly smeared with what looked and felt like a heavy lithium grease.
    Yep, so far I do like that Lee decapping die..

Ron

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beesdad View Post
    I am running 5 loadmasters
    If you are running 5 Loadmaster's...you deserve free parts...and stress relief counseling.

Boolit Master

I use a Lyman universal decapping die. Got it second hand. Don't know how much it was used before I got it but I have pushed primers for thousands of rounds without a problem. Military crimped- no problem. Berdan goes solid bump and I know I have run into one (9mm) that I picked up at the range. Still no bending or breaking, but you need to feel for Berdan or rocks or in the case of pistol rounds, a smaller caliber hiding inside a larger one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    If you are running 5 Loadmaster's...you deserve free parts...and stress relief counseling.
    Sorry no stress here I have five that run... A little stress when they were new to me a few years ago ... Now that I understand how they operate they a pleasure to use.

I should say, when you live remote like me, and stuff can take weeks to get here, you tend to learn to plan ahead... Soooo rather then wait for weeks to be able to decap anything, i have learned the art of planning to plan ahead.... If I have the lee universal decapping die spares, i know that there will be no interruption to my reloading plans based on waiting for a single decapper to arrive in the mail... With my spares, i dont have to wait if i happen to break a decapper on an onery 223 or 308, i just slip another into my lee and off I go.... Now for those thAt live with the convince of having everything close by for ready interchange, i would say, you are blessed... For those of us that are a bit off the beaten path, order once, order a lot, and be free.... Lol

AG

Boolit Buddy
    The best and fastest decapping tool I have ever used is the 310 tool and decapping die.

The best thing is you can feel the decapping pin slide into the flash hole before any pressure is applied .

Military crimped primers no problem.

Much faster and easier than anything press mounted I have ever used.

I discovered this tool back in 2006 and have decapped up-teen thousands of cases to present and still on the original pin and the die was well used when I was gifted it.

The only downside is you need a handful of different shell adapters to cover a assortment of different size cartridges.

It probably sounds funny but I look forward to decapping a couple hundred cases before cleaning with this tool.

------good luck

Boolit Master

When I got one Midway was out of the Lee so I got the Lyman. When it broke and Lyman gave me issues over getting a new one (I was willing to pay for it) I ordered the Lee. When it broke they sent me a new rod even thought I told them it was my fault. I purchased several extra as I have no problem paying for what I break. Usually the Lee bend, trying to straighten them out breaks them.

Having extra's is quicker than waiting for replacement parts to arrive via snail mail.

I've had a Lee Universal Decapper for more years than I can remember.

I've had the rod push up; but never broke a rod or a pin (I guess I better go order one!).

I've had the collet so tight once, that I punched a hole in a Berdan case. I like to go slow, but something you just want to rush through the last 100 from that bucket of pickup brass.

I my case, it just works and works and works. No complaints.

Really appreciate the input, folks. Now we'll see what happens - my new pin arrived in the mail today, as promised by Raquel at Lee. Since they only run about $2.00, think I will get a couple of extras.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast