RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Decapping Tool

Universal Decapping Tool

After handloading for over 20 years I finally broke down and bought a universal decapper from Lee. It arrived today and, like any kid in a candy store, I had to play. 50 7mm Rem Mags, about the same number of .223 mixed, some .375s and I'm smilin' and singin' and lovin' this. Then, you guessed it, the other shoe dropped. My brother sent me a batch of "once fired" .308s he picked up somewhere and I thought now was a good time. The brass was mixed, but I figured I'd sort it after it was capped. About 30 pieces in the capping pin broke on a stubborn FC primer. Didn't look like a crimped military round, but it pushed the rod up through the die. When I went to reset the rod I had a beautiful letter "U". Ahhh well, replacement are only $2.00, but.... Anyone had a similar experience? Something I screwed up? The die was adjusted to just touch shell holder and the caper was set the same as my regular sizing dies - just long enough to knock the primer out. Ever wonder if you were born stoopid, or just took pills for it?
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

I never broke one knock on wood, but I always stop if something don't feel right. Wonder if you went just past that point lol!

I use mine all the time, and would much rather break the rod on the universal then on any of my other dies.... I bought about 10 rods for the lee when I got the UDD... They are real handy for stuffing dacron into rifle brass, and many other things.... I figure the 10 i bought will pretty much last me for the rest of my days..... They are a lot cheaper then the other decapping rods i think...

AG

Boolit Master

Don't know what the LEE decapping pins look like but if they are just a straight pin you could find a letter or fractional drill bit the same size. Just grind the shank off for the length needed.

Larry

I also purchased extra decapping rods but never broke one yet.

Acrow - Think you nailed it, man. Operator error, not the equipment. As i said, some days I think I was born stoopid.
    Alaskaguy - That's the next step. They're only $2.00 from Titan, if I'm lucky I can get some from my LGS
    largom - they're a straight rod about 4" long with a tapered end to the primer hole in any case. I think the pin part is hardened, but not positive. I suppose I could try spinning it in a drill and filing the end down to fit again, but why bother?
    engineer - I'm hoping that's the charm - buy extra that you never need.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Why did you pay for a new decapping pin? They will send you a new one for free. The only time I've broken one is when a berdan primer slips into the mix. And even then I've learned to heed the pressure warning.

broke mine on the 3rd case. found out it was my bad, i did not have the right size shell plate on..

sigh...

I use the same Lee UDD. So far, it's been working like a Trojan. I tend to go easy on the press handle when decapping, so no broken rods/pins yet. Nonetheless, I purchased a spare rod just in case because, as all of us handloaders know, it's just a matter of when, not if.......
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

I broke one some time ago and bought 5 spares. Not broken one since. My theory is that if you have a spare on hand you won't need it.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I have broken a few and picued up several extras. I de cap military brass alot, that seems pretty tough on the pin.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Murphy's Law: The reliability of a component is inversely proportional to its replacement availability.
    If you ain't gotta spare, its gonna break!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Never broken one. Don't understand how it happens,
    They're built like tanks. If you apply too much force the rod should just slip out of the screw collet. Had that happen a few times.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    After handloading for over 20 years I finally broke down and bought a universal decapper from Lee. It arrived today and, like any kid in a candy store, I had to play. 50 7mm Rem Mags, about the same number of .223 mixed, some .375s and I'm smilin' and singin' and lovin' this. Then, you guessed it, the other shoe dropped. My brother sent me a batch of "once fired" .308s he picked up somewhere and I thought now was a good time. The brass was mixed, but I figured I'd sort it after it was capped. About 30 pieces in the capping pin broke on a stubborn FC primer. Didn't look like a crimped military round, but it pushed the rod up through the die. When I went to reset the rod I had a beautiful letter "U". Ahhh well, replacement are only $2.00, but.... Anyone had a similar experience? Something I screwed up? The die was adjusted to just touch shell holder and the caper was set the same as my regular sizing dies - just long enough to knock the primer out. Ever wonder if you were born stoopid, or just took pills for it?
    I bend or break a Lee universal decapping pin about once every 5-6 K rounds.... No big deal just send a note to Lee with picture and get a free replacment shipped free of charge. I got two replaced this week. Great customer service.

Boolit Master

I have one set up on a progressive. I have broken a couple. The problem is that if the brass is not perfectly in alignment with the pin the pin hits solid brass, not the the primer hole. The pin is so strong that I actually punched a hole all the way through one 38 special round. But on heavier rifle brass, the brass is too thick, and it breaks. I eventually backed off on the nut that allows the rod to slip, and that has stopped that problem. I also had a batch of 7.62 NATO brass from some foreign manufacture. It was boxer primed, but the primer hole was very small. Broke one on that brass before I realized the problem.

Didn't know that Lee would replace them for free. Beesdad - just take a picture and email it to Lee? Or snail mail? I, too, thought the pin would just push up through the top of the die, but not this time. I wonder now about seaboltm's post - I posted here a little while ago about some 7.62 that were difficult to size. Wonder if... Man, I love this hobby. Always more to learn!

Boolit Mold
    Any chance there was a small stone or something in the brass? Had that happen a few times, but caught it before breaking a pin.

Boolit Master

I never broke the pin. They use a hardened ground dowel pin in the end of the rod. I have mine set up in Lee reloader press and use a light two finger hold on the handle. Primers usually pop right out but an occasional pebble gets in a case and my light hold indicates that right away.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    Didn't know that Lee would replace them for free. Beesdad - just take a picture and email it to Lee? Or snail mail?
    You do it all on their website: http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...lacement-parts

Boolit Buddy
    As others had said Lee would replace its part of their limited warranty

But ive never broken one the only thing I saw was marring on the pin itself.

Combining with the handpress and a few shellholders boy makes depriming almost fun