RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mrs. Nukem and Some Hand Sewn Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    Just not often you see a saw as a rifle pattern.
    CD
    I'm not using the saw as a rifle pattern sir. It's the only pic I had of the holsters before I started making them.
    I'll find the actual rifle scabbard build thread for you.

God Lord man! Do you EVER sleep!?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Sleep is for mortals.

Boolit Man
    That's some nice looking leather. I started making holsters for myself a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Hahaha..... Until I can came to this site I though there was no one who tried to do all the things I try to do. Duke, you are one guy that I would love to meet one day. I do a little bit of everything too but not nearly as good as you. There is nothing like hand stitched leather. No machine can do that and it doesn't come loose. You must be a clean freak too as your work area always seems to be neat, I have stuff everywhere and never enough time to clean it all up. Living where you do I guess you don't cut as much grass as I do though. Fine work you do and a joy to see.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    I think I figured out the double lock stitch..do ya start with a needle on each end of the thread/string, and thread them through each hole in opposing direction of each other?
    Yes sir.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Duke. No stain? You going for the natural light leather look, right?

I found that the best sealing finish was Resolene. It's what the pros use on their holsters for water resistance. Use an airbrush, as daubing or wiping on will leave streaks. An airbrush also is super stingy and a bottle will last a long time.

A saddle maker I know said he uses olive oil to oil his leather. He says It won't darken the leather, and is cheap, works well and looks nice and is safe to use. Disclaimer: I haven't used olive oil yet.

When I get a couple holsters made that I'm not embarrassed about, I'll take some pics and post them. I'm getting better, but I need some more leather.

Andy
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    Nice work Duke. No stain? You going for the natural light leather look, right?

I found that the best sealing finish was Resolene. It's what the pros use on their holsters for water resistance. Use an airbrush, as daubing or wiping on will leave streaks. An airbrush also is super stingy and a bottle will last a long time.

A saddle maker I know said he uses olive oil to oil his leather. He says It won't darken the leather, and is cheap, works well and looks nice and is safe to use. Disclaimer: I haven't used olive oil yet.

When I get a couple holsters made that I'm not embarrassed about, I'll take some pics and post them. I'm getting better, but I need some more leather.

Andy

The Olive Oil will turn the leather a really really dark brown. Ask me for some examples.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking I saw where you made the saddles also, which tree did you use?
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    I am thinking I saw where you made the saddles also, which tree did you use?
    I'm real close to being able to make them. I just need the jingle now. $$$

Boolit Buddy
    Duke, thats some nice work. You better buy some leather before the end of year, it's going up i'm told. Keep up the good work and post it too.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Thanks guys. Recently due to Barbies broken leg we will not be pursuing our ranching venture so all our leather projects are up for sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12