Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 9mm, PC 100% scraped on the lands, leading.

Boolit Master

9mm, PC 100% scraped on the lands, leading.

My 9mm boolits that I powdercoated, and recovered, show the lead completely exposed on the lands. (the rest is fine).

Of course, they leaded.

Some were 356, and some were 357. Barrel is approx 357.
    Plan is to try 358 now.

Why was the PC all removed on the lands? Is there a link with the undersized bullet? they were cured with a thermometer and enough time.

Black ES gun coat.
    120TC lee mold, reg lube groove.
    beretta 92FS

Thanks

Boolit Master

358 or 359 should solve your problem, assuming you did your part correctly.

Boolit Master
    will cast and coat some 358 and will report next time. crapload of lead to clean in between :P I hate that.

Boolit Master
    Just cleaned the revolver, no leading at all in my 38 special loads though. At least something works.

Boolit Master
    Is there any 'leade' into the lands, or are the lands 'sharp' on the leading edge? If the lands are sharp, maybe they are scraping the paint off.

Boolit Master
    358 pced bullets seemed to lead slightly in glock. Will have to shoot more and check.

WAY better accuracy than the 357 though. even at 7m.

Didnt check the beretta yet, but it shot poorly, scatter all around at 7m.

I have reduced load from 5.5 grains to 5.4 to 5.2 now. might lead less, will test next week.
    Last edited by kryogen; 05-16-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    I cleaned the beretta and it seemed rather clean also, like the glock.

Just some light gray streaking, but still, I guess it's lead. So why is the load still leading a bit? Lead too soft for velocity? Will check with reduced load and report next week I guess.

Boolit Master

If this is a 92FS they seem to be notorious for wide bores. Mine requires me to size everything to .358" and it had better be a perfect coating. I had to change the seating depth to a little farther out and that also helped. I have none of these issues in my M&P 9mm.

Boolit Master

My 38 specials work fine with TARGET LOADS and a SOFT ALLOY. (9 Brinell)
    I'm making some HARDER ALLOY (14 or so) to start casting NO LUBE GROOVE 9 MM.

Boolit Master
    they are .358, anything less leads like hell and shoots bad.

Yes, it's a 92FS.

Maybe I will just sell it.

I also had poor accuracy with my 92fs barrels and pc when sized either .357 or .358.
    When using boolits lubed with LLA or TAC1 and sized .357 accuracy is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    they are .358, anything less leads like hell and shoots bad.

Yes, it's a 92FS.

Maybe I will just sell it.

Boolit Master
    And doesnt lead at all?

Boolit Master
    Several years back, I was working up loads for three of my 9mms using commercial "hard cast" 125 gr LCNs (sized .357", I believe) with the blue, crayon-like lube, and various powders. Two of the guns shot very well with full-powder loads using both Unique and W-231. They were clean burning, no smoke, no leading, and cleaned up easily afterwards.

On the other hand, my Beretta 92 FS produced patterns like you would expect from a shotgun using 000 buckshot, except the holes weren't all round. The target and backer also showed a number of bullets that went through sideways.

Once I FINALLY got the Beretta's barrel cleaned, I really checked it out. I used a magnifying glass, and held the barrel up to a bright light. I slowly turned the barrel while sighting along the inside edge of the bore. I repeated that front and back several times.

What I found was that the barrel was out of round just beyond the chamber area. When viewed from the chamber end (at the 1:00 o'cloock to 2:00 o'clock position) the bore was almost egg-shaped. I think whoever had polished the feed ramp area must have rammed whatever they were using into the barrel, and hogged out part of it. That area was so deep, the light would leave a shadow there as I turned the barrel. I think it would have to be at least several thousandths deep.

That pistol actually shot jacketed bullets pretty well, so I never realized there was a problem with it until I tried using cast lead bullets. Despite that, it went to a gun show with me soon afterwards.

If Beretta did something like that once, I'm sure it could happen again.

Dave
    Last edited by DR Owl Creek; 05-17-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well so far it's my worst shooting pistol, I have never been able to shoot well with it, even with 358.
    Will just probably end as a safe queen or sell it to someone who shoots jacketed or just wants a gun that goes boom.

Boolit Master
    Before you relegate your Beretta to the back of the safe, or sell it, try visually examining your barrel using a magnifying glass and a bright light. Look for ANYTHING unusual, such as, waviness on surfaces inside the barrel that should be smooth or flat, chatter marks, rough spots on the beveled leading edge of the rifling, the step from the chamber to the throat, make sure the grooves are the same depth all the way around the barrel, make sure the chamber is concentric with the bore and grooves, etc.

Slug your barrel (again?). Slowly push the slug through, while trying to feel either tight or loose spots, etc. Then do it again several times!

I'll bet that if you keep searching long enough, you'll find whatever it is in the barrel that's causing the problem.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    And doesnt lead at all?
    I had no leading with the pc but poor accuracy.
    With LLA or TAC1 and sized .357 I can shoot all day with no leading. Accuracy is outstanding now.
    I tend to run low end loads. I work up from a start load until I get good groups then stop.
    I started with Taurus pt92 and swapped in a Beretta 92fs barrel. Accuracy became great. It shoots as well as my revolvers now.
    I did the barrel swap thing twice.
    Last edited by tazman; 05-19-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    thanks for the help. The barrel looks fine. I will probably just not shoot it, and be done with the issue.