Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Installing Gas Checks over powder coat

Installing Gas Checks over powder coat

I have read some like to install GC's before powder coat. But then, doesn't raw lead, lead the size die?

Some use a washer and set the boolit in the GC indent to keep paint off the shaft. But that only works with ESPC.

So how do I push on a GC over PC without the check going on slanted?

I start looking around for a tool to chamfer the base. My RCBS chamfer tool doesn't work due to the center pin.
    A sharp piece of tube may work. Then the answer was staring me right in the face.
    The primer ram cup works pretty good.

The Sage checks go on nice and straight.

I've tryed to pry these off, but I'm not going to push it any further. I see no need to stab myself with a mini screw driver to prove a point.
    Last edited by Pablo 5959; 12-25-2015 at 08:40 PM.

In Remembrance
    You can also whack the GC with the right size ball bearing, which opens the mouth of the GC.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Or use fingernail clippers on the base.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I have yet to push my first gascheck boolit thru my lee die but i have sized boolits without lube and had no problems. Now i pc and nothing sticks in the die. I also usually have to open the dies up so after using #600 paper on it, its smooth as glass.

Boolit Master

on 270, 7mm or 30 caliber you can use a Lee 25-06 FCD and crimp the gas check shank, it will squeeze it to the right size for the checks to go on perfectly.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had any problems with Hornady 30 caliber gas checks fitting my PC boolits and my gas check diameter has been enlarged (by me) because I used to install the checks with a .314" die and they were loose.

I have sized many 160gr 2R TL (Lee tumble lube boolit) with my clean Lee push through size die without any lube and so far have not had any problems. My alloy is not hard either only around 12bhn.

I did have trouble with aluminum gas checks which I believe was because they were coming off in flight. I was never able to get them to hold tight onto a powder coated boolit.

They did grip better on bare cast boolits but I still had very bad performance with them and believe that they were still coming off in flight. I abandoned the aluminum and went back to the .004" thicker Hornady gas checks installed directly on to a powder coated boolit and all was well again.

Motor

Banned

or just buy a thingy from NOE they make them [2 airc] to trim the edges of the gas check spot.
    and no raw lead does not lead the size die, nor your barrel [many are surprised at how little lube is actually required on a naked boolit, the little area above the gas check is generally enough for a 30" barrel]

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    or just buy a thingy from NOE they make them [2 airc] to trim the edges of the gas check spot.
    and no raw lead does not lead the size die, nor your barrel [many are surprised at how little lube is actually required on a naked boolit, the little area above the gas check is generally enough for a 30" barrel]
    Runfiverun
    I noticed someone post the thingy you refer to after I posted this tread. I will have to look into it or just borrow there idea.
    Now if someone would come up with a check making tool. (Kidding).

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Swipe that hand held pencil sharpener your wife has in her makeup stash or I can sell you one that looks just like it for hmmmm 14.99 I will even repackage it with a new name. Place your orders now.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I make my 30 caliber checks using Charles Darnall's Freechex Check making Tool and they slip on and crimp down with no problem. But for a chamfer or tags on the bottom of some PC bullets, they can be removed much easier and faster using the inexpensive NOE Bullet Base Chamfer tool designed for that purpose. The photo is the Power Tool designed to use in a drill, but I drilled and tapped mine to accept an 8-32 thread sleeve so it will now work in both the Lyman and RCBS Case Prep Stations.
    Attachment 156628Attachment 156629

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I make my 30 caliber checks using Charles Darnall's Freechex Check making Tool and they slip on and crimp down with no problem. But for a chamfer or tags on the bottom of some PC bullets, they can be removed much easier and faster using the inexpensive NOE Bullet Base Chamfer tool designed for that purpose. The photo is the Power Tool designed to use in a drill, but I drilled and tapped mine to accept an 8-32 thread sleeve so it will now work in both the Lyman and RCBS Case Prep Stations.
    Attachment 156628Attachment 156629
    Dragonheart,
    can you do me a favor and PM me a pic. of the inside (cutting edge) of this tool.
    i have some ideas to make one but wanted to see how Noe makes theirs.
    thanks
    Pablo

Boolit Master
    Here is a photo of the cutter as requested.

I have a small lathe and mill and I can tell you for the $15.50 NOE charges for this stainless steel tool I wouldn't even consider making one. I made the alteration to his tool because I wanted it to work on my Lyman Case Prep Station. Maybe Al will include a threaded adapter in future chamfer tools because the case prep stations turn slower than a drill and it is easier to control the amount of material removed. I use this tool to take off occasional powder coating tags on the base of a bullet and it works great for that.
    Attachment 156814

Thanks Dragonheart,
    Thats what I thought is all it is.
    I have a steal gas knob that will take no more then ten min. to ream and grove.
    happy new year
    Pablo

Edit: I think it took two minutes, but then it's not steel.
    Last edited by Pablo 5959; 01-10-2016 at 07:42 PM.