RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17WSM and Savage B Mag Rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    This is something that has bugged me for a while. I need to drift the topic a little here.

Buying a new gun that turns out to be a lemon is one thing but the right crapper here in WA is the BS you have to go through for licensing! Then there's the cost.

Getting all the paper work together to provide "genuine reason" forking out the best part of $200 for "additional" waiting 6-8 plus weeks for the "go-ahead" then you bring a dud home that forces you to repeat the above!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Here in NSW, compliments of the Shooter's Party in the Senate, we have reasonably sensible laws (by comparison to other States). If you meet the criteria, they issue a permit to acquire. If you are a pensioner, the permits are free.

It is bad enough to buy a lemon, but having to jump through a series of hoops to buy the rifle and then have to get rid of it and jump through the hoops again, what a bummer!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Well, the importer has replaced the rifle, just picked it up this afternoon. The bolt is the stiffest I have ever struck, I'll be putting a bit of elbow grease on it over the next week or so. I had to laugh, the box that the B Mag comes in has Savage Arms, the Definition of Accuracy emblazoned across it. That has not been my experience with Savage so far, lol. Lets hope this one works better. I will keep you all posted.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Well, I sure hope that you get a winner this time around. I am really interested in the .17wsm but so far have heard too many stories like yours. I really like the looks of the low wall in .17wsm but it is very expensive.

Not only is the Lo Wall very expensive ($AU2100 here), it is screaming out for the wood to be chucked out and replaced and the action re-blued. The blueing on the barrel was nice, but the action was so dark, it looks like anodising or paint.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have been eyeballing the savage rascal I think it is called. It appears to be the perfect rifle for my grandson, but now I am going to have to do some research on it.
    No worries with the Rascal! Got one for my son and its a shooter. Everyone loves their's.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    My Savage Mark II didn't group well when I first got it, then I noticed a visible lump in the barrel channel of the synthetic stock. The lump was pressing against the rught side of the barrel.

I loosened the take down screw and slid a thin piece of sand papper between barrel and channel working it back and forth till there was not contact on either side though the barrel does contact at the bottom.
    Now this rifle shoots extremely well with consistent one holers.

I also added a bit of weight to the hollow butt stock by stashing extra ammo in a metal lozenge box along with a spare magazine and a pull through with patch material and a folding knife.
    The rifle is much better balanced this way.

The synthetic stock was also filled with a fine black dust that migrated into the bore and other places. Apparently they didn't clean the stocks up before installation.

Mechanically the Savage rifles are among the best, but cut rate labor doesn't do much for quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I had to laugh, the box that the B Mag comes in has Savage Arms, the Definition of Accuracy emblazoned across it. That has not been my experience with Savage so far, lol.
    They accidentally put a B-Mag in a Savage centerfire box! The centerfires, now they shoot!

Boolit Master
    Hi Four Fingers! How is the replacement shooting? Well, I hope.

I've been a bit busy and haven't shot it yet. I need to mount the scope and I want to clean and polish the barrel a bit first. I will post an update as soon as I can. Mind you, I ain't all that confidant.

Boolit Master
    I hope that you are pleasantly surprised. This looks like it could be a really fine rf varmint cartridge.

My friend's one won't group at all, but cold barrel shots are usually to point of aim. He gave up bringing it to the range and just uses it to hunt rabbits, foxes, feral cats, etc. He has removed the heads off a number of rabbits so far and hit a big feral cat running away from him with a Texas Heart Shot and it turned the cat into a bag of jelly.

Boolit Bub
    Not worth it for the money, jus get a .223

Yep, you are right there, I also bought a Ruger American Compact 223 and it gets 3/4 moa with factory ammo. I am 66,have a heart condition, shortness of breath and palpitations, it would do a lot better with a steadier hand. It was the same price as the B Mag.

They gave me a new one, but I can't be bothered with it and it is gathering dust in the safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12