Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gaulling from spure plate

Boolit Buddy

Gaulling from spure plate

I have a two year old Accurate aluminum mold that Has left scratches on the top of the blocks.These appear to be from the sprue plate. I had this problem with a Lee mould and open gave it away after not being able to solve the problem. I have been using an NEI mould for twenty five years and ad have never had a problem. what do I need to do? I have tried cleaning and lubing . I love the boollit's from the Accurate mold but hate messing with it .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    * Stone the bottom and edges of the sprue plate
    * Loosen the plate so it completely opens when you flip the mold handles
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-05-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Remove plate, you should be able to identify problem areas by connect the dots. I would completely go after all of it as I do all mine. File, stone, 3M, Crocus, whatever- roll and radius all external edges, lightly counter sink screw hole top and bottom. Find a stone plate or piece of glass and some 600 wet paper. Trickle a hose on paper across surface, put finger in hole and very, very lightly float around on film making 1-2 inch circle. Stop about every 3-4 circles and LOOK. Thumb every edge and confirm no sharp edges except one in middle and away you go. And they really do not need to be so tight on blocks, try running at the point it just becomes free on block. Run and make adjustment as needed.

Don't worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Scratches do not hurt anything!

Cast away.

banger

Boolit Master

I'll agree with Dan and Jim, most scratches don't hurt anything. But my most-used molds are treated as Gtek details. If there are scratches or galling, it has to come from either lack of lubrication or mechanical abrading from burrs, etc. Either can be cured, and when cured operation becomes smoother and better. I don't like sticky machinery when a few simple steps can make something work better.

In Remembrance

Scratches do matter! Why damage a mould if you can prevent it? If the scratches get deep enough they cause finning and boolit base is important to accuracy. Cutting the sprue too quickly can cause smearing that adheres to the sprue plate and scratch the mould. Bullplate lube properly applied greatly helps.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Scratches do matter! Why damage a mould if you can prevent it? If the scratches get deep enough they cause finning and boolit base is important to accuracy. Cutting the sprue too quickly can cause smearing that adheres to the sprue plate and scratch the mould. Bullplate lube properly applied greatly helps.
    Thanks to all. I have rehabed the mould again. I use Bullplate but still have some problems. If this keeps up my 200 grain mold will turn into a 185 grain.

Boolit Grand Master

For me, Bullplate lube eliminated this problem. Perhaps setting the pivot screw tension a bit
    lower for the sprue plate might help.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Yes you have a lot of gaul.

Boolit Master

If all the above does not work 100% ( most times it does ) I loosen the plate and slide a piece of 300 grit wet and dry
    under the plate, you may have to make little cut outs for the plate screw and the stop screw ( sometimes a pin )
    Abrasive side up, now I tighten the pin so that when I close the plate there is a small amount of friction when I close the plate.
    I put the mold on a flat surface and carefully with even down pressure work the plate in an opening and closing motion.
    When things get almost done I repeat the exercise with 600 grit. Check as you go, it has not failed me yet.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters