Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW! What A Difference !

Boolit Master

Smile WOW! What A Difference !

Back when PID's for the common man was first discussed, I bemoaned the fact that there was no one out there building controllers for the hobby market. In the years since, there have been several PID sellers, but for whatever reason I didn't buy. This, as it turns out was a big mistake. I would have been much better off buying PID's instead of moulds, or guns for that matter.

I bought a PID from kyle623. Received it the middle of last week, and used it over the weekend. I am absolutely astounded at the difference a controller makes. I have never made so many bright, shiny, slightly frosted (710°F) with perfect fillout in one session since I started casting! It would typically overshoot 15°F from a cold start and then settle into a +/-5°F temp swing. I'm told this will get better, but I don't care as it's perfect as is, without any improvements.

With the rapid increase in productivity brought about by my new controller, I foresee the need for a commensurate technological breakthrough in my lubesizing techniques. Thank you Kyle!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    The PID just completely changes the game..... for the better. IMHO.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Yes indeed Beagle, I thought a hot plate for prewarming molds and ingots was a game changer, and it was. The PID beats it though, by a fair margin!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I'm guessing my PID lets me cast a good 100° cooler than I used to. It also let me calibrate my stem thermometer in the 600° range which is now useful for smelting. Testing some new alloy this weekend and using 2 moulds, one wouldn't produce good bullets. Raised the temperature 10° and viola that mould produced beauties also. I don't think the higher priced furnaces can do, unless they're also controlled by a PID. My Lee rarely varies by more than ±2 ° now.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    I will not cast bullets now without one as I have been spoiled. My old thermometer is sticking out of a piece of scrap aluminum on top of a hot plate so I know the preheat temperature of my moulds and replenishment alloy.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    i agree, the PID is totally worth the investment IMO, but i think everyone should try and ladle cast just so they can appreciate the controller
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Vendor Sponsor

Yes a PID has made casting far easier for me.. in most cases I am getting +/- 1 grain difference in 325 to 500 grain Bullets and usually around 1 grain total in 200 gr and less bullets.
    did a test about a month ago on a new mold cast 4 different sessions (100 to 300 bullets at a session) over 5 days (so I have some changes in air temp and humidity) all 4 batches came out the same weights with a total of 1 grain difference hi to low
    would have a very difficult time casting without a PID now .. everything is just so much more consistent
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 05-06-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    i agree, the PID is totally worth the investment IMO, but i think everyone should try and ladle cast just so they can appreciate the controller
    If I'd had a PID when I first started casting, I might have been able to make friends with the ladle. As it was, complete and total frustration ruled the day. Now I'm spoiled. I wait until the indicated temp hits 5°F under the target and it's off to the races with my BP pot.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I love my ladle. I have 3 BP pots and I put stainless washers and bolts in all 3 and made em ladle-only.
    (and drip-free!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Sweet words to hear as I have a new master pot coming with PID controller. Looking forward to some great casting.
    Charlie

Boolit Master
    I'm just waiting for Kyle to send me a PID. Mine died. Maybe he can fix it and I'll have two. As I have two pots it should work out just peachy.

All right I will finally build my own PID...I have most of the stuff here already, just need a case.

My first use for a PID was to control temp on my smoker. This is it.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-a-PID-control

If the wind is still and the fire is just coals it will maintain temps of tenths of a degree.

If you have one that was made in the last 10 years or more, I bet it has an auto tune mode that will save you a lot of time vs figuring out how the P, I and D settings actually effect what you get out of it.

Boolit Master
    I built my PID a few weeks ago Still trying to interpret the interpreted Chinese instructions.
    One of these days I'll get to try it out

Who is Kyle and how much does he charge for a PID?

Doc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Who is Kyle and how much does he charge for a PID?

Doc
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

I went the PID route as I built my own pots. Looking back I am puzzled at how I managed without one before? If I had to start over for casting the top of my list will be a PID. I got all of my parts from Auber Instruments and every penny was worth it.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Here is my video on the PID'S I sell for those interested. I also make other things as well. this is my vendor thread.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...41#post2775441
    Have lead, Will cast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast