Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White Label lube 45-45-10 results

Boolit Mold
    Recently found a couple boxes of Speer swaged lead .44 SWCs. Soft and notorious for leading...but what if they were coated with White Label 45-45-10? Has anyone tried this with swaged bullets? Inquiring minds want to know....

Banner Sponsor

45-45-10 is a great lube, so I would think that it could only help.
    Try some and report back how it did.

Well since this tread is going no sense in starting anudder. I too use WLL 45-45-10 and have excellent results as others do. Here's my dilemma I fully understand that if you can see it you most likely have to much on the bullet. Well being on that has a hard time with the more must be better thoughts. I of course over lube (I'm sure). So this got me to thinking if I added some acetone to thin it out a bit when I squirt my stream of lube in the container I'll think I have a lot but probably will be just right. Since the acetone will flash off it "should be alright .............no? What practices do others use to force yourself to not use to much when lubing? ....................Ok I'm bored and have to much time to think

Moderator Emeritus

while I use homemade 45-45-10, I'm sure it's very similar to WLL 45-45-10.
    Anyway, put a small amount of lube in the bowl with the boolits, I then heat the bowl/boolits/lube, the heat thins the lube and it spreads out evenly and covers 100%. If there was too much lube to start, the excess adheres to the bowl for the next batch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Not my original idea as I read it here somewhere. I used to use 45-45-10 as well as BLL in a tub by swirling. Recently I have been simply placing the bullets, usually about 50, in a sandwich size zip-lock baggie and shake and roll them around with my hands, sort of like kneading bread? 4 or 5 drops in the bag with 50 bullets is usually just about enough.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    You don't need much. The boolits should not leave residue on your fingers after they dry. In low humidity mine dry inside of an hour. I can fire 20 .308 rounds at 1650 and not have leading or a messy bore. I often spray Oneshot case lube on my boolits before sizing and then lube them with 45/45/10. No need for two coats.

Boolit Master

I used my homemade version of 45/45/10 on about 200 H&G 68 this past week. I still use the butter tub to apply. I have found that, usually, I get too much in the tub on the first application. I also usually slightly heat the boolits before putting them in the tub. Not over about 125ºF and that is a guess. I don't trust myself to heat the bowl & lube also, as JonB does. The heat helps prevent too much lube on the boolit. I put about 50 in the tub and don't have to add any lube for the second batch. It is difficult to tell if they are covered by just looking. Present conditions plus getting older and lazier, I haven't done as much casting and shooting as I would like. Buying a new 1911 has me preparing for when things open up, to my satisfaction, not the government's who want to restore tax revenues.

This is so easy that I keep putting off starting to try powder coat.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    Recently found a couple boxes of Speer swaged lead .44 SWCs. Soft and notorious for leading...but what if they were coated with White Label 45-45-10? Has anyone tried this with swaged bullets? Inquiring minds want to know....
    I had a very large quantity of Lapua swaged lead bullets that had the defective lube or lead dust on them. They would lead the barrel of my Walther GSP terribly in less than 50 rounds. I did the gasoline wash and lubed with White Label Delux 45-45-10. The results were outstanding as there was zero leading after 250 rounds.

Boolit Master
    The 45/45/10 is hard to beat. Has worked on moderate pistol loads and gas checked rifle loads up to 1650. Accuracy is excellent.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used it on 9mm regular lube groove 9mm boolits.
    No issues.

Going to try it with the LEE 140 gr. SWC tomorrow.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I'll have to give it a try on 9mm. I've got homemade 45/45/10 and also a recipe where you heat a can of Johnson's paste wax and stir in one 4 oz. bottle of Xlox. The JPW recipe dries faster.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Banner Sponsor

JPW has Naptha in it, which I believe is a little more volatile than the Mineral Spirits that I put in my 45-45-10. Maybe that's why it dries faster?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    while I use homemade 45-45-10, I'm sure it's very similar to WLL 45-45-10.
    Anyway, put a small amount of lube in the bowl with the boolits, I then heat the bowl/boolits/lube, the heat thins the lube and it spreads out evenly and covers 100%. If there was too much lube to start, the excess adheres to the bowl for the next batch.
    Same experience here. I PC 90% of my boolits but some cant have the extra coating thickness so 45:45:10 is a great alternative.
    Last edited by Dapaki; 06-30-2020 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master
    Love the 45-45-10
    I use it on traditional lube groove handgun boolits. No issues at all, accuracy or leading, at media velocities. Taken it to 1250 plus with no issues in a .357

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys!

I was looking to see if I had a problem with "old" lube (some WLL 45/45/10) as I have used it without any problems previously. Now I seem to have nothing but gumming up problems with my dies and press while loading up some 9mm and some boolits I have never tried before.

To tell the truth, it has been quite a while since I last lubed up any boolits, and with this batch I noticed alot of stickyness to them. I just thought the lube had "dried" out a bit and wasn't doing what I thought it used to.

After reading through here as a refresher to find some info, I realised that I have put way too much lube on the boolits and have caused my own problems. Now I think that I am going to try to either thin out the lube with some mineral spirits and reswirling them in my lube can; or just put more unlubed boolits in the can, preheated a bit, and see if some extra lube will come off and coat the new ones.

Which of the 2 ways sounds like it will work better to take off the extra lube I put on?
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    I shot some 9mm today with45/45/10 white label lube. Great stuff and so cheep it’s not worth me saving a few bucks to make it. I have never had any leading at all untill today. I also always always lubed non sized bullets. This time I sized to .357. the new lee mold I got the 105 gr swc. All the other lee molds I shot un sized and just tumble lubed. Never a problem. I will try to load some up tomorrow un sized and see how they do.all my nines are European made beretta 92fs and a few stars. They all like .358/.359. The reason I sized them is because my high point likes .357. Some times got to give it a little love pat on the back ov the slide using .358 in certain thick brass. I also will try only a very slight crimp also . Iam using a NOe .356/.360 expander and has worked great before on not sizing down my bullets. I have always had good luck in loading the biggest bullet that will fit. I also heated my lube in a pan of hot water before lubing them. After they dried you can’t see any on them. Iam also guilty of using to much the first time I tried the lube. Will try unsized first and I bet it will work out great. Also the accuracy was great from this bullet and lube. Started getting bigger groups after 20 or so rounds in each gun then I noticed the leading. I was using 4.0 gr of bullseye crimped in the crimp grove at .135 Next time will load them at .102 had a few that would not chamber in my high point it likes a little shorter oal
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 10-18-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12