Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Single powder for .480 Ruger 350-420-grain bullets?

Most of this discussion has been around powder. My Opinion you need a MiHec 477-640 mold on the shelf if you going to feed a .480. As for what it weighs my alloy GC'd Lubed and ready to go as a solid is 420-425gr range. Small HP about 405 and Large HP 390-395.
    Kevin
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    I guess the HP and cup nose inserts would be a good thing for alot of users. The only thing I wonder about is how well the cup nose will retain weight when slammed into big bones like in moose or bear. Grizzly/brown bear.
    I don't need expansion for caribou. If the boolit is in the right spot, they die pretty quick. If not, good luck finding them.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Master
    I did testing on that bullet as I have that mould and shoot that bullet from a 20" lever gun in 480. It is devastating as large HP but the button drives deep in wet news print. If I were concerned about penetrating the shoulder of charging bad attitude bear the solid is best bet and it does NOT have to be loaded top end moderate loads of that bullet in the 900-1000 FPS traverse 36" of wet news print and then through a 2x10 board at the back of my wet news print holder. For other game such as the Caribou that large Hp at 900 FPS will devastate the boiler room of that animal and that is with a alloy similar to #2. I have some of the deep HP they weigh around 370 Grains.

PM me your address if your not in California I will mail you 10-20 or so to play with.

My favorite load is 9.0 grains of Unique with that bullet from my 480 Ruger Lever gun.

Boolit Man
    I shoot an accurate molds copy of a keith bullet that weighs 350 grs. over hs6 in my 61/2" bisley and the above mentioned mp 477-640 in solid form over alliant 300mp from an older target gray super redhawk.
    The hs-6 load is very accurate and after considerable testing proved to be the best for that gun. I shot up quite a bit of h110 in the SRH with excellent results, but I am getting better velocity over my chronograph and the same size groups with 300mp and i dont have to buy magnum primers to use it. I use federal 150's with it and cci 300's with the hs6.
    I still tinker with different loads some but these are the ones I'm stuck on and both guns will shoot good groups with either load.
    300mp is usually cheaper than h110 or most other powders in the same burn rate

Just to bring this up again, that MiHec bullet, large hp, has been used by Sixshot, Zeus, Fowler and others over on the Single Actions forum to take all kinds of game from wild hogs, deer, elk, moose and Bison. Their load has been been around 13.5 grains of HS6.

An earlier post here talked about the newer 4.6" Ruger SBH Bilsey in 480 and I will say if you're interested go ahead and get it. It's what I would have purchased initially if it had been offered with the 6.5" model. As it is, I sold my 6.5" in order to get the shorty, and I just love the shorter barrel and how handy it feels in comparison. The fit and finish is better and the cylinder lockup is great. Trigger was lighter on the 6.5" model, but not bad on this one. The grips just don't fit on these new Rugers, but some hand-fitted walnut grips from my 6.5" SBH fit this new one pretty well.

I have loaded 12 - 15 grains Blue Dot with the MiHec hp of about 395 grains. Powder coated, Sixshot sent me 100 to try out and I love it. I have my own mold now but haven't cast my own yet. I was aiming for 1000 - 1050 fps and i think it was about 14 grains BD that got me there with the 6.5" barrel.

BTW, my gun barrels measured 6-3/8" for the long barrel, and 4-19/32" for the shorty.

Boolit Master
    I also have the Mihec mold. I have not shot near as much of them as I would like too.
    We hear about hard or soft alloys. I had mentioned in one of Dicks threads, the term "tough" should be included as well. There is a happy medium in the mix. To hard and it can shatter. To soft and it will come apart like putty.
    This is where a known alloy comes in handy, along with one doing some testing in some type of media. Shooting big hogs, elk and moose is way off from shooting a whitetail.
    Jeff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123