RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Day at the range = almost getting shot

Boolit Master

Day at the range = almost getting shot

Well men don't ever make the statement ( now Ive seen it all ) I thought I had but today proved me wrong.

Got up this morning and Julie insisted I take a little time to myself and go shooting.
    Wow great idea Eh ? so I packed up the range bag, got a holt of a target and a frame, put togeather some 357 ammo and whatever else would fit in my pockets.

The 10 mile drive was nice, all country road. When I pulled up to the gate I found an SUV blocking it and two folks inside the range, I honked the horn and the gent came to the gate complaining the lock was broke and the combination wouldn't work, I pulled down on the lock and it opened.
    Told him he needed to eat a bigger breakfast, he laughed and move his truck and I drove it.

He was there with his wife, both were in there late fifties, they had two S&W 357 revolvers on the bench, a box of 38 and a box of mags. We chatted a few minutes and I put my target at the same 10 yards there target was at. Take note here, my target is 5 feet to the left of there target and in line with it at the 10 yard mark. Side by side.
    No one had a pistol in hand at this time, I walked down to my target and was bent over trying to get it inline with my bench. All of a sudden three shot ring out and I hit the ground, I turned and the Stupid dam Women was in front of the shooting bench ( wrong ) and blasting away at her target 5 feet to my exact right.

Men I became unglued on the spot, I started yelling at her to stay the dam Fu--ing pistol and stop shooting, I yelled at her, !!!! what the hell are you doing you crazy bit-h can't you see I'm 5 feet away from your target ? and what the H-ll are you doing in front of the shooting bench.

I ripped into her for a steady non stop 10 minutes while her husband sat at the bench with his head down reading the label on the ammo box in his hand and not saying a word. He must have read the same paragraph 20 times. I had my tiger stripe field jacket on but cheese I don't think I was invisible. When I ran out of different ways to yell at here she went and sat in her car while her dumb A$$ husband proceeded to tell me about the pistol course she had taken.

I have seen a lot of dumb, stupid things at shooting ranges but this had to be the DUMBEST ever.
    What the hell was this women thinking ( not thinking ) And on what planet was the husbands brain on to allow her to pick up a loaded 357 and start blasting with someone a few feet away from the place her bullets were hitting.

The last time I was getting shot at at least I was getting paid to be fodder.
    I can't believe the blatant stupidity of some people, I just can't fathom the dept it goes.

Folks !! you just can't let your guard down for a darn minute, not even on a nice sunny day at the range ( especially these days, and especially with the mentality of the people out there )

There voting, and breeding while I type this.
    Stay safe and make sure when you go out, you make it home.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Glad that you are safe Sam. I have packed up my gear and left the range in a hurry more than once when I see people acting stupid but I have never seen anything that stupid!

Boolit Grand Master
    Think I would talk to the membership director and have them booted out of the club for that violation. Glad you are OK physical wise (except for maybe blood pressure!!).

Vendor Sponsor

They need a range exam. A WRITTEN one. It should cover what to do in any situation you or another shooter may encounter. It should FULLY STRESS the importance of knowing when the range is HOT and when it is NOT! Range etiquette is not really something they teach in any CCW or self defense course. When I first started shooting on ranges, it was a different discipline that I had to learn. I admit it was a bit foreign at first but I caught on really quick. The ones that scare me are the ones that turn around to see if you are looking or to tell you something, WITH a loaded gun in their hand, sweeping everyone in their turn radius with a loaded firearm, that chances are, is NOT on safe. Go figure.

You did right Sam by lighting her up, that is one of the worst things anyone can do at a range, that is 1% shy of actually shooting someone.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Glad you are safe! The range I go to has a rep for grumpy range officers. I never see it early in the morning and they pretty much ignore me, but once the crowd starts showing up they really change moods. I took the hint as well after a few stays later into the day when the real idiots start showing up. I am counting down the days my number comes up for a local private club, but your experience and other stories show it may not be any safer.

Boolit Buddy
    I am happy that even though my range is kinda pricey to join and not a cheap yearly membership, you have to go through an nra instructor taught safety meeting. You are graded on experience and range time as well. Guests are also required to provide a shooting history and sometimes a few shots with the rangemaster present before they are allowed to shoot with the member. Any unsafe activity and you are met by the range master. If he determines it was accidental or at least unintentional it is corrected on the spot and you can continue to shoot. If he determines you are simply unsafe you will be sent packing immediately and possibly range badge revoked permanently. There is a review board if you feel you were wrongly accused.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Master

It's not any safer, dumb seems to be allowed to go anyplace these day's.
    We don't have a steady RO at the range, only on special shoot days but all members have to singe at the bottom of the range rule page when they join.
    Oh I will talk to the man in charge, I have there plate # and I will ask him to have a chat with them and then tell them to shoot someplace else.

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

Boolit Grand Master

I have had this happen years ago to me at our club. We have both a bench area and a position area all on the same range. The wife and I were 100 yds down range when a guy shooting at 50 touched one off. He had went down when we did knew we were down range and going to the 200 yd line. His excuse was they are diffrent lines and dont have to run together. I later found out ( when I turned in his membership number to club officers) this was his second major infraction. Some dont want to learn some dont care and some plain dont care. With the number of new shooters now these incidents will only grow in numbers. I have gotten into the habit of setting up on the far left of the line so I can see whats going on easily. And few are behind me.

Moderator Emeritus

I was at our range a few weeks ago and it was fairly crowded. We had about 10 folks on the line at the time. Both side of the line repeated we were going "green" which means no loaded firearms, no touching them ,etc. We all go and grab our targets, come back to the line where the RO proceeds to yell at the group. Someone had left a loaded tactical 12ga on the bench. After he hollered first reaction was we didn't do anything wrong it was the one idiot but thought about it and he was right to yell at the group. Now I start looking at the open breeches, etc on the bench before I get in front if the line. Glad you were ok - after reaming her I would have been in his face for allowing it to happen.

Boolit Master
    Don't you have other places to shoot besides a public range? I just drive out to the hills and find a place where I can shoot without any interruptions or distractions. Maybe since I have always lived were there are unlimited places to go shoot where you wont see another person maybe I am just out of touch with what others have available.
    I took my 4 girls out today to explore a new canyon. We drove in several miles and then walked a few. Not another person or vehicle in sight. Each Sabbath we explore a new canyon and aren't likely to run out of new places to go for quite some time to come. Its just been this way for me for so long at time I get to thinking its this way for most folks.
    I hate to hear stuff like this because I know that those people are an accident waiting to happen. She took some course so now in her mind she is Annie Oakley. She was just strutting her stuff and more than likely expected your praise.
    Just so you know some girls are being taught right on our outing today Christian age 13, Grace age 10, Hope age 7, and Joy age, 5
    got to take along their BB and pellet guns. We walked in and sat under a big red fir and each had to recite the safety rules before they could have a turn to shoot. Joy needed some help remembering but the three other girls have the rules down.
    I am real sorry you had such an experience and though I know its not possible still wish everyone had the freedom of places to shoot that we do. If you ever pass through this part of Montana I would like to take you out to some of our shooting places.
    That goes for all CB members. Warning though once you see what we have you may not want to go back home.

Boolit Master
    wow !!! Holy **** !! Glad you are here to tell us.

She should just not have a gun. Not anything else to say. Pray she learned something for life.

This is why I bought a home with room for a private range. Trusted friends and trusted family only.

Boolit Master

Don't you have other places to shoot besides a public range?

It's not a public range, it's a small private range, that makes the rub even bigger Eh.
    It's the people that think they know everything there is to know, when in reality they don't know squat,
    new green gun owners with one class under there belt and turned loose on the public.

When I am shooting I watch everyone like a hawk, I have seen most of the mistakes and careless gun handling.
    I guess I just never thought someone would start shooting with another person 10 yards down range from them and 5 feet away from there impact area.

What in the hell was this women thinking ? If it was a guy I would have ( better not said )his a$$ on the spot.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    The range I use is a DNR range with a RO there at all times.

Unfortunately he can not be everywhere at all times.

Many of us OLD folks also watch over the obvious newbies.

One time a 4H newbie pointed a revolver in the wrong direction and I called him on it.

Again he did the same thing but now I told him to pack up and go home.

His answer was "I do not have to do what you say because you are not the range master".

The fellow sitting next to me said you should always pay strict attention to all of the senior shooters here because they have many years of safe shooting under their belt.

The kid started on that man,BIG mistake as that man just happened to be the guy that hires and fires all employees at that DNR.

Mike said in a voice loud enough for everyone at the 25 yard to hear that if he or others doubted we OLD folks can WARN you off the range and if you do not take that "friendly warning" the actual RO will ban you from the use of the range.

With all of the new folks joining our ranks we older folks should watch the range just like we ARE the RO.

Many of us learned to shoot long before ROs watched over us and have called folks for unsafe practices many times before.

We do not want newbies banned for life but we do want them to learn safe shooting practices.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I don't like shooting if there are other people around shooting as well. I probably would have come really close to taking that girls gun, unloading and shoving it up her a$$, throwing it as far in some direction as I could, or possible even tackling her if she was still holding it when I turned around.

But even by myself I'm not totally safe if I don't pay attention. I proved that...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    It's not a public range, it's a small private range
    It's not small enough.

Boolit Master

"There voting, and breeding while I type this."

Mrs. Gray Wolf know you are breeding and typing at the same time...

Ok, just had to lighten the mood.

Now regarding the various obvious safety violations. Silent Hubby probably told her to shoot and was hopefully chastised by your chewing into his Mrs.

Now I also would probably be pretty hot under the collar if this happened to me as well. But Hopefully, you have not closed off a new shooter by your reaction which while most justifiable, may have closed her off from shooting in the future. If you have the ability to determine who it was, then cotact them and offer a few more range lessons as a Public Service. Most pistol safety course are bookwork only with a written test at the end and "MAYBE" a live shoot for them to apply their new skills.

Extend an invite for the young couple to shoot with you in the future. You may be the one that develops her into a stronger person and maybe an Olympian-level shooter in her future.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    Want see me turn into a by the book AH? Put me in charge of a range. There is way too much potential for death, or serious injury, to put up with someone that doesn't know or care about safety rules.

They are building so many five and ten acre hobby farms around here it is difficult to pick a direction that is really safe to shoot. I live on what was my grandparents place. When I was a kid in the 1970's, there were five yard lights you could see at night. a few years ago there were nineteen.

I have been going to one of the Dept of Conservation ranges, but I don't go on weekends, or for the last couple of weeks before deer season. It is unattended, meaning no range personnel; not exactly a safe place to shoot.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

Range I go to is part of a local gun club. Small group and I often have the range to myself. I refuse to use the pistol range if anyone else it there though. To many idiots. Same for the rifle lanes, at least we have 3 that are separated by large berms so you can change a target when the next lane is busy. Still makes me cringe though when I hear a shot! 15 foot high gravel berm so it is safe

Boolit Master
    Sam, I'm sure glad you lived to tell this story.

It was nearly 36 years ago that I was last shot at. I still remember the feeling of not being able to make myself small enough and worrying that my horse was going to get shot. Was on horseback; at least until that first shot fluttered by about 12 feet to my right. Shooter (cattle rustler) was about 400+ yards off. I slid off old Stormy horse (in my avatar) so fast you'd have thought there was grease on the saddle.

Seems California doesn't have a monopoly on morons.

The fact that her husband wasn't supervising her makes him at least as big an idiot as she was.

Again, sure am glad you weren't shot. If you didn't die right away, people like that probably would have left you there to bleed out.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast