MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite 22 cartridge?

Boolit Bub

What is your favorite 22 cartridge?

Have a ruger #3 in 22-250. Wanting something different. Thinking maybe 218 bee or something else in between 22 hornet and 22-250. Have both of those calibers in ruger m77s.
    The #3 has a heavy 26" stainless barrel. Will mainly shoot boolits. Going to set back 2" and rechamber. What would you do?

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on what you are going to shoot with it! If p-dogs, 222, 223, or leave it alone as a 22-250. I am partial to my K-Hornet in a #3 Ruger for what ever it is worth.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

22/250 is my favorite.

Boolit Grand Master

So what's wrong with the 22-250 with cast?

I've had a #3 Ruger in 22 Hornet since the mid '70s and have just about shot the barrel out. I will probably have it rebarrel to 22 Hornet but with a 14" twist this time. If your #1 has a 14" twist and you want a smaller capacity cartridge I would go with the .222 Remington with a "tight neck" chamber. That twist with the longer neck of the .222 would make it and excellent cast and jacketed bullet rifle. You already have the rimless case extractor which can be modified to fit the smaller case head.

Larry Gibson

.22-250

Boolit Master
    Its hard to decide between 222 or 223. Its really to bad the 5.6x53mm brass in both rimmed and rimless isn't easily available

Boolit Master
    221 fire ball with 1/14" twist

Boolit Grand Master

I have a martini cadet in 218 bee that is a real dream to shoot and carry. Case capacity would be great for cast boolets on the down side brass is one they only run a few times a year and isnt always available. But once you have a supply thats not as big an issue.

I love my #3 in .223. I'll never run out of available brass and it shoots boolits wonderfully. The 22-250 could probably be loaded to act like any other .22 out there, so why not experiment before you decide?

Boolit Bub
    Rifle was originally a 223. Still have the original barrel. It could eventually go back to stock.

I should probably leave it as is. Surprised there isn't more 218 Bee love flying around. It is a cute little cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by single shot jimmy View Post
    Rifle was originally a 223. Still have the original barrel. It could eventually go back to stock.

I should probably leave it as is. Surprised there isn't more 218 Bee love flying around. It is a cute little cartridge.
    Its a great cartridge, but brass in a problem. 221, 222 and 223 brass is easy to get/make.

Boolit Master
    The 218 is perfectly suited for cast boolits but the brass is the thing. My choice of the 221 stays with the small case but the brass is not a problem. I built my 221 about 4 years ago and have never bought brass for it, NEVER! I find enough 223's lying about to keep me in plenty of 221 brass. Performance wise the 221 will slightly out do the 218.
    I have done some fine cast boolit shooting with 22/250 and 223 but the 221 is the most consistent with cast and easiest to develop loads for. I have tried numerous Hornet rifles but none gave the consistency of the 221.

Hard to beat the old 222 Remington for accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I have always been partial to the 222.A few months back I found in a flea market 150 new unprimed 218 Bee brass with a set of loading dies and a Redding neck size die. Everything I needed except something to shoot them in.
    So I ordered a 218 barrel from MGM for my T/C Encore.I have been shooting it now for a little while and to say I am impressed in how well it shoots cast boolits would be a understatement.
    The 218 is a great cast boolit cartridge if you can find brass.........Terry
    Last edited by TCFAN; 05-04-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a soft spot in my heart (or is that head?) for the Hornet. It is quiet and gets the job done.

My all time favorite cf .22 is the .222 Remington. Again it is fairly quiet, and I have never had one that wasn't accurate.

Nothing wrong with the .22-250 for those longish range shots, plus I think it handles coyotes better than the smaller cases (with jacketed bullets).

These days, if I was building a light carbine type rifle, I think I would go with Dan's recommendation of the .221 Fireball. With your #3, given its barrel I think I would go with the .222.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Well you already have the high speed .22 market fairly well covered with 22-250, BUT, if it was me I would build anothere rifle based on the 22-BR Remington or the 6mm-BR Remington (my preference) use Lapua brass and you would have the most accurate rifle you have ever owned, or likely to own. It's a small case, case lifetime is LONG, powder charges are small, recoil very low!
    The accuracy of the 6mm -BR Remington litterally can't be touched out to 600 yards (or more). If you go over to benchrest Central you can read all about this cartridge.

I am getting together the parts now to build one. So far I have the Wood blank, Lilja SS rifle blank, looking for action now.
    Last edited by Changeling; 05-04-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't get by without my 22-250 for J-words and when I'm wanting to reach out and touch something. My 222 is a dedicated cast gun and gets more use and it's cheap to shoot and most of my varmit shooting is around a 100 yards. Never could get my 22-250 to shoot nearly as accurately as my 222. I've got a 223 the wife uses for cast and J-words. Nothing wrong with it but it's not a 22-250 on the high end and not as accurate as my 222 on the low end.

Floyd

Boolit Master
    Just to be different, I would consider an R-2 Lovell. Captech (formerly Jamison) makes the brass, a bit spendy but is of excellent quality and will last a long time. Nips along at the heels of the .222.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    ... If your #1 has a 14" twist and you want a smaller capacity cartridge I would go with the .222 Remington with a "tight neck" chamber. That twist with the longer neck of the .222 would make it and excellent cast and jacketed bullet rifle. You already have the rimless case extractor which can be modified to fit the smaller case head.

Larry Gibson

I happen to have a reamer with a slightly tighter neck (0.250) but I don't have access to a lathe... and too chicken to freehand a chamber ream yet. but I have a 219Savage that I am hoping is strong enough for a 222Rem.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Single shot jimmy,
    I also have a 22-250, but a Ruger #1. Want a 22 Hornet. Can't seem to sell the 22-250, haven't seen a 22 hornet #1 in years.

Who were you going to use to set back and rechamber ? Cost ?
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.