RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: will 8 isopropyl alcohol to 1 lanolin lube bullets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
    I have to size them right away? not make up a couple k brass and size them later?
    I'm not a huge fan of this as a case lube, but I have used a little... To answer your question, I think you should wait a few minutes after coating to allow the bulk of the alcohol to evaporate... the lanolin is providing the lubrication you need; the alcohol is just thinning and transporting the lanolin... wait for it to go away...

Boolit Grand Master

I can't even recommend it as a case lube. Followed the directions and waited for the alcohol to evaporate. Proceeded to stick the first case. That was it for that experiment. I know others have had no problems using it.

Banned
    my question was more about if im able to wait before doing it. say i spend a day prepping cases, then wait a day or two to size.

also, i made up the lanolin, it just settles to the bottom of the spray bottle of alcohol.

Boolit Master

Yes. Just make sure you dies are clean and I always use clean brass...It is as good as ANY on the market...If you stuck a case something went wrong, maybe a piece of dirt or a rough spot somewhere.
    I lay my clean cases in a cardboard flat..spritz them, roll them a bit and spritz again..I start resizing right away. the alcohol evaporates and the Lanolin stays put...When I am all finished loading, I roll my finished loads in a soft towel to clean any excess off, load and shoot..

You certainly can wait as long as you want after spritzing the cases and sizing, just keep em clean.

Banned
    Thanks.

question about cleaning. i bought a vibrating tumbler and corn cob media (would like stainless pins but dang $$$, although they last forever). iv ran it for about 20 minutes or more. how clean is clean. obviously they are not shiny like new, and some people like them shiny. looking inside the case tho, it seems most of the build up is gone accept at the very bottom. do i need to get them to sparkle, or do i just need to get rid of the build up for quality loading?

thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Thanks.

question about cleaning. i bought a vibrating tumbler and corn cob media (would like stainless pins but dang $$$, although they last forever). iv ran it for about 20 minutes or more. how clean is clean. obviously they are not shiny like new, and some people like them shiny. looking inside the case tho, it seems most of the build up is gone accept at the very bottom. do i need to get them to sparkle, or do i just need to get rid of the build up for quality loading?

thanks
    Cleaning is up to the user. I do not clean my cases other than a quick 20 minute ride in walnut shells. The are NOT bright & shiny......they have dark spots.......but they shoot just fine!

They do NOT have grime and gunk on the outside that lead to case sticking or jamming in my guns.

DO NOT use brass cleaners like Brasso or other ammoniated cleaners to get a shine! Degrades the metallurgy of the brass.

If you going for a beauty shoot-off, polish each one to a brilliant new shine with a rag. Otherwise, get them reloaded and shoot them.

I would rather spend time at the range than polishing my brass!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

Banned
    what about cleaning the primer pocket. is it necessary.

Boolit Grand Master

what about cleaning the primer pocket. is it necessary.
    You will get two answers, yes and no. I'm after minute of deer accuracy so I don't bother doing anything to the primer pockets. The most that's get done to them is a cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner upon first processing them. After that it's a trip in the tumbler and done.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I only clean the pocket out if there is a bunch of crud in there......usually after several reloads. A quick turn of the Lyman pocket thingy and it is clean.

I do NOT do it to every case!

banger

Banned
    ok. ty

Banned
    quick way to remove media dust?

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    quick way to remove media dust?

Throw a used dryer sheet quartered into the tumbler it will get most of the dust

Banned
    The cases were packed full of it, i either had to scrap it out with a screw driver, or spray it with a high pressure sprayer. im going to buy stainless steel media.

Boolit Master

I failed to mention that, as was mentioned earlier. There is down right gruby, clean and show room shinny...for my working loads and fun loads I will just soak my brass in a mix of Citric acid, dawn dish soap, rinse them off and dry them real good. I only tumble brass when I want them show room pretty to impress someone. In other words, when I say clean brass, I mean Un- dirty or no particles to get stuck in your dies...

Boolit Grand Master

A bright shine is a matter of pride. The lack of grunge is a matter of necessity.
    Do you wash your car?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I only clean the pocket out if there is a bunch of crud in there......usually after several reloads. A quick turn of the Lyman pocket thingy and it is clean.

I do NOT do it to every case!

banger
    Unless you use Winchester primers! For some reason they always crud up the primer pockets ( At least that has been my experience)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Walnut media should not stick in cases unless the cases were wet. If you want shiny cases put some auto paint swirl remover in there, gets rid of the dust also.

Boolit Master

I have to size them right away? not make up a couple k brass and size them later?
    I've allowed brass lubed with alcohol/lanolin sit for a month or so before sizing without any problems. I DO, however, tumble all my sized brass to remove all lube before priming.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    An easy clean up for lanolin lube on sized brass is to wipe it with a damp rag wet it denatured alcohol.

Well I'm not mass producing so The alcohol / Lanolin spray is over kill for me ( also my loading area never warms up enough to make it blend) I just smear the smelly stuff on my palms & roll the brass in my hands to lube.... sure don't need much!

Oh, and for those that reform brass as I do (30-06 to 8mm), you will never stick a case with that smelly stuff!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington