MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'New' 109 year-old 38-55 and range report

Boolit Master

'New' 109 year-old 38-55 and range report

Last week I received the latest addition to my very small collection of vintage Winchesters.

The factory records indicate the following:

Serial number applied on March 24, 1905
    Type: Rifle
    Caliber: 38/55
    Barrel Type: Round
    Trigger: Plain
    Shotgun Butt, Rubber plate
    4 cartridge magazine
    Received in warehouse on July 10, 1905
    Shipped from warehouse on July 10, 1905, Order number 15546

The Marbles tang sight is a high condition original that I installed myself (with great care, using the proper hollow ground screwdrivers). I took it to the range today and with some careful shooting, was able to put 5 rounds into 1 & 3/4" at 100 yards. A photo of the target is below. I just need to tweak the tang sight shims a bit more to get it bang on in windage. I used an Accurate Mould 38-255L http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=38-255L-D.png and pure clip on wheel weights which drops a bullet weighing 256 grains before lubing and gas check, 262 grains after lubing and gas checking. A photo of the mould and bullet is also shown below.

Last edited by KirkD; 05-02-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good stuff, thanks for posting.

This is the perfect example of balance between class and muscle while NOT being abusive. A 262g boolit at 1300 fps must be a joy to shoot.....unless you're the white tail it's pointed at.

Boolit Master
    I like the shotgun butt much better than the standard crescent butt.

Moderator Emeritus

She's beautiful. Very nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Good stuff, thanks for posting.

This is the perfect example of balance between class and muscle while NOT being abusive. A 262g boolit at 1300 fps must be a joy to shoot.....unless you're the white tail it's pointed at.
    It is a pleasure to shoot. I like to use original ballistics in my old Winchesters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    I like to use original ballistics in my old Winchesters.
    They worked back then.....and they STILL DO.

Boolit Grand Master
    She's a fine old girl. A true classic beauty.

Nice shooting too.

Thanks for posting

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    For its age. Certainly a nice clean rifle. Shoots good too.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome-as usual, KirkD. Beautiful rifle well photographed. A rather deserving addition to the collection. Something tells me this old girl is going hunting again.
    May need to try that boolit in my 375 Win, rifles like these don't need GC boolits.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Sweet Kirk, sweet.

That rifle is actually older than you are!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

What length is the barrel, 24", 26"? I REALLY like the magazine! It looks grrrrreat!

Very nice!!

Nice rifle Kirk. What size does the mold drop the bullet at with air cooled WW? Some of those old girls like 3 of mine have a really wide barrel/throat and to get any accuracy out of them they have to be fat like .381 or .382. The problem with that is the brass is sometimes to thick which is the case for my rifles so I picked up some starline brass and they just barely chamber with the bullet seated correctly.

What we really need for these old girls is a hollow base bullet of .379 or .380 and soft lead so it will expand upon firing, with that size it would be easier on the brass and better accuracy.

When I finally settled on a good bullet/powder combo like you have I bought a lyman tang sight and I actually had to remove a slight bit of metal from one side of the mount and shim the other side as you said you will have to do.

Now I just use the standard rear sight for 125 yards or less and if I am shooting 200 yards then I just pop up the sight. 4 Mule Deer can attest to this method. Nothing like still putting meat in the freezer with a 110 year old rifle.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master
    A really nice gun. Something I'd love to own. Tell me, did they make them back then with a case colored hammer and lever and leave the receiver blued? It makes it look even better that way.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    NICE,!!!!!!!! Obviously a special order Winchester. I looked for something like that in 38-55 for a lot of years, never found it. I finally had one built. Mine looks a lot like yours but obviously mine lacks the character yours possesses. Bravo Zulu to you and the original owner, he had the desire for a finely built special order rifle, you now possess that rifle. Thanks for posting.

Boolit Master
    The barrel is the standard 26". When you order a mould from Accurate Moulds, you tell them the alloy and what you want to size the boolit to and the tweak the diameter accordingly. Mine drops them at about .382 and I size them to .381, which is about as large as I can chamber with Starline long brass. I have not yet slugged the barrel. The case colouring is original. The did the hammer, lever and buttplate up until then teens sometime as far as I know.

Boolit Master
    As usual for you Kirk, great photography and range report. Beautiful rifle! "Nickel Steel" barrel?

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I don't see 'nickel steel' on the barrel anywhere, so I'm assuming it was the standard steel they used in 1905.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings KirkD
    That is a beauty !! Will certainly be a prize for many years top come.
    Got me wondering when my after 1900 was made.. 1907, 26 inch round, full mag but only 60% blue left. Has a fat throat. Needs .383 to shoot smokeless descent. But with a case full of 2F, a cereal box wad and my fat 375248 style cast of 40-1 it does well. Hoping to run some 3F through it this time up in June.
    Hard to beat a caliber 38 model 1894 on a sunny day at the shooting place.
    Mike in Peru
    Last edited by missionary5155; 05-03-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Missionary5155, sounds like you own a fine old 38-55 that performs as out should with black powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast