MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Cool Shakers

Popper...

Use a plastic peanut butter jar. Be sure to cover the opening with a double layer of waxed paper
    before you screw the lid on, or the powder will leak out.

Boolit Mold
    I'm new to the PC group here, and want to thank all those who have contributed. I will soon try the shake and bake method, as soon as it cools down a little here in AZ.
    Again Thanks,

Phil

Boolit Mold
    Like PhilR I'm new to the group. Does Smoke have a website? I'm about to jump in and am interested in the sample packs and powder mentioned.

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Thanks everyone. I tumble pc'd my first batch last weekend, and I think they are good enough to plink with - but I'm going to try the airsoft bb trick next time.

Boolit Bub
    I'm off HF and Walmart to buy supplies tomorrow. I'm super excited.
    Thanks again for all the knowledge.

Boolit Bub
    Quick update - the Airsoft BB (asbb) trick made a huge difference for me. I couldn't find black, but used white Crosman bb's and hi temp gloss black from powder by the pound. 1/2 a teaspoon coated ~60 bullets and there is still some left over.

Boolit Mold
    I have a trick for the little 22 boolits . crumple up your ns aluminum foil before covering your trays and the bullets will stay separated

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rmfcasey View Post
    I have a trick for the little 22 boolits . crumple up your ns aluminum foil before covering your trays and the bullets will stay separated
    I will have to try that but with the LeeTL314-90-SWC.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Do your 22's lay on their side? My first time doing 22's I do hand gun and stand them up. 22's look a lot harder to stand.

Banned
    I find Standing up the bullets is not a requirement. He's a little eccentric but this will give you an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqLzWzKfes

Thanks that works.

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Boolit Buddy

For what its worth, I tried black BB's last night instead of the white ones (cheapest I could find) and what a difference. I have power coated about 8,000 rounds this summer and it worked pretty good. The coverage was usable but sometime they wouldn't cover as well as I would like. I ordered another LB of powder from Smoke and added a couple bags of BB's to the order. WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT MADE!!. I actually had to knock powder of the rounds before putting them on the tray. A majority of them looked like I sprayed them.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    Many thanks to the members who have pioneered this new and useful method of treating cast boolits and contributed to the many pages here in!

I'll likely be posting here soon with my own experiences with PC as well now that I have read this long and interesting thread!

Happy Trump Year!

Three 44s

Boolit Mold
    Well, I just finished my first two batches. I did a half-batch of 50 to test the whole process and my setup. Worked like a charm so then I did a full batch of 100 (full tray). Mine is a pretty basic setup. I had an old Black & Decker toaster oven I picked up free that I planned on using for doing baked ceracote. I picked up a oven thermometer for $13 and a roll of NS foil for $3 from WalMart. Drilled a hole through the side of the oven for the temp probe of the thermometer. I replaced the wire rack of the oven with a piece of 14 gauge stainless I had lying around. After I did the 50 piece test batch I did the hammer test on a couple of them and they passed. I'm really impressed with how simple it is to get such good results using a margarine tub with powder & black ASBBs I bought from Smoke4320. A 100 round batch only took me less than 45 minutes - including 20 minutes baking time. I'm THRILLED with the results! I can't wait to get them sized & loaded so I can try them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2552.jpg   DSCN2555.jpg   DSCN2547.jpg   DSCN2559.jpg   DSCN2561.jpg  

DSCN2562.jpg   DSCN2557.jpg   DSCN2570.jpg  
    Last edited by BC38; 01-23-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Hello all, just wanting to try this and wondering can a 314299 cast boolit be powder coated and would it need to be stood up during baking.Seems like it would be very tough to keep it upright.

Banned
    I've had good luck laying long bullets down, just be sure to knock off all the excess powder first.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1trkmind View Post
    Hello all, just wanting to try this and wondering can a 314299 cast boolit be powder coated and would it need to be stood up during baking.Seems like it would be very tough to keep it upright.
    The tall skinny boolits need to be tumbled and then removed from the tumbling container with skinny forceps or smooth-jawed needle nose pliers and stand then on your tray which is already in the oven. Soldier them in rows from back to front and then you don't have to move the tray. You just very gently and slowly close the oven door and turn the oven on. Use patience and go slowly. One wrong move and you're playing dominoes.

The good news is that if you do knock em down. All is not lost. Just dump em back in the tub, shake a little and try it again.... slower.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

For the picking of the coated bullits, I found a set of tweezers at HF pretty cheap, I think it was like $3 for five or six pairs. It has a set of reverse type tweezers. You squeeze to open and release to close, and they don't leave any marks or bare spots. I dip them in the PC before I use them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tankgunner59 View Post
    For the picking of the coated bullits, I found a set of tweezers at HF pretty cheap, I think it was like $3 for five or six pairs. It has a set of reverse type tweezers. You squeeze to open and release to close, and they don't leave any marks or bare spots. I dip them in the PC before I use them.
    I think this is what Tankgunner59 is talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-fi...set-93598.html

Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast