Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Picked mine up today at WallyWorld.... Now I just need to get out there and DT some boolits!!!
    About how many boolits do you guys put in? say 200gr boolits

Doc
    I just did 40ea) 230gn......OK. Then 50.....OK. Then 60......OK. Then I ran out of boolits! Gotta cast some more tomorrow.

Before, I could not do over about 30-35 of that size at a time due to all the divots and exposed lead.

banger

Boolit Master

At this rate, new ideas are coming along faster than I can try them.

I can't wait to get a day off that's not already spoken for so I can cast some boolits to try this out.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Now to find a #5 container with a screw on lid.
    I don't think it's even necessary now if you are using this method. The BBs must be made out of a plastic imparting enough static into the bullets as well as just plain beating it onto the lead.

Boolit Master
    I have to laugh at the thought of walmart running out of black airsoft pellets as word gets out from this forum. Same thing happened to harbor freight red P/C once the word got out that it was perfect for coating boolits. I have to keep an eye on this forum to see which stock for manufactures I need to put in my portfolio.

Ok, those look awesome! You guys are gonna get me intrigued enough to try this someday, I can feel it coming.

Just who came up with the idea to do this anyway? Somebody had to be first! And is this just for pistol bullets, or will it work good for rifle bullets too? Curious because they're so much faster.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I do think it's time to make me a pair of these.
    ('found this pic up in the powdercoat thread)
    I don't think these would leave a mark on the nose, especially if I could grab the boolits by the lube groove when fishing them out of the BBs.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I just did 40ea) 230gn......OK. Then 50.....OK. Then 60......OK. Then I ran out of boolits! Gotta cast some more tomorrow.

Before, I could not do over about 30-35 of that size at a time due to all the divots and exposed lead.

banger
    Thanks Banger! that will really help speed things along... I was doing 25 at a time, so this will help...
    As soon as my legs can get me out there and my arms can hold on to the tub I will give it a try!

Doc

I vote for this being the hanleyfan method.

Boolit Man
    Too bad I just cast and coated almost all of what I have ingotized so far. If I want to try this out I'm going to have to bust out the fish fryer again and make me up some more ingots.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I do think it's time to make me a pair of these.
    ('found this pic up in the powdercoat thread)
    I don't think these would leave a mark on the nose, especially if I could grab the boolits by the lube groove when fishing them out of the BBs.

If you make these (cheeeeep HF needle nose) heat and bend a little farther back and at 45 degrees. The 45 angle lets you get at the various boolits laying in there. My hemostats are 45 and work perfect. I tried standard n-nose earlier and gave up do to wrist cramps trying to get a those little buggers!

The cheaper the better, as they need to be soft to bend. Heat them up to orange-red and bend over.

Check your local 99cent store also! They have lots of VERY cheeeeeep tools!

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    If the needle nose leave a slight mark on the nose what difference does it make, there's no contact with the rifling?

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    If the needle nose leave a slight mark on the nose what difference does it make, there's no contact with the rifling?

Dick

Any appliance with small long jaws will work. The tools we describe and just an enhancement to make life easier.

bangerjim

Banned

What about a latex/nitrile glove with business/finger area of glove dipped in powder. That would seem fastest and some have described using that method. Does that work as well?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Any marks on the nose, any, no matter how ugly, .... as long as you don't deform the boolit enough to affect flight or weight..... does not make a difference! There doesn't need to be ANY powder on the nose or base at all.... unless you just like the look.

I have tried gloves with powdered fingertips and it does work and it really speeds things up, but it does brush some off the boolit. The pliers do work much better at saving the nose. Again, for usefulness...... it doesn't matter! If you wanna get fingerprints all over the nose, even if you were to scrape.... say 90% of the powder off..... go right ahead. It'll let you pick em out and stand them up much faster. And they'll still shoot great with zero leading.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I have to laugh at the thought of walmart running out of black airsoft pellets as word gets out from this forum. Same thing happened to harbor freight red P/C once the word got out that it was perfect for coating boolits. I have to keep an eye on this forum to see which stock for manufactures I need to put in my portfolio.

I was just at WM! Only 1 black pellets left on shelf, lots of other colors available!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    What about a latex/nitrile glove with business/finger area of glove dipped in powder. That would seem fastest and some have described using that method. Does that work as well?
    Well......if your fingers are that small. I cannot dig around in a container full of coated boolits ( and now also bb's) and efficiently get ahold of the boolits without removing a bunch of the powder, even with my fingertips dipped in powder.

The pliers/tweezers/hemostats method is so fast and simple, with minimum powder removal. Try it. You will be amazed.

I do wear latex gloves when handling bulk bare lead boolits B4 coating.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1950 View Post
    I was just at WM! Only 1 black pellets left on shelf, lots of other colors available!!
    Black has always been harder to find than the lighter weight cheaper ammo. It is the only one I shoot in all my Airsoft guns. You do not need tons of it. That small bottle (if you can find is) will be enough forever!

Don't forget to check Cabellas and Bass Pro and Dicks.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

Are you still heating the bullets first
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Are you still heating the bullets first
    I have NEVER heated the boolits. I have never seen any gain by doing it the few times I tried it months ago. If they are 30-40F or so, heating might help. My boolits are usually 60-80F when I coat them (the temp of my loading shop in AZ).

banger

Anybody try this with a non #5 container? Or find a shallow wide mouth screw on #5? I got the last black at my WW, NOT cheap (1/2 the HF sprayer cost). Cottage cheese (med size, #5) about 1/2 full of ASBB (new acronym?) and 21 165 gr 30 cal. 4eaping teaspoons of powder. Worked perfectly, although I haven't cooked yet. Probably could double the boolit load. These were cast 3 mo. ago, uncleaned, unsized. Can't imagine trying to shake a tub of real BBs & boolits. Who gets the diamond boolit award for this one? Hanleyfan?
    Whatever!

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast