RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Mold

PC came in today!

This is my first attempt at powder coating boolits.

I did not have any fresh cast, and it is too hot to stand over the 700 degree pour pot, so I just heated up some previously cast boolits to melt the grease out of the lube rings.

After melting the wax with a heat gun, I soaked them in gasoline to remove the grease. I have not doubts that fresh cast boolits will turn out better.

I am using the Dry Tumble method of PC using airsoft BB's as a medium to create static and distribute the powder.

I tumbled them for about 3 minutes and then baked them in my $10 goodwill toaster oven for 15 minutes.

I could not have done this without the knowledge of this forum and particularly, this thread! I would also like to thank SMOKE for the quality powder and bb's.

Seeing the results and how easy it was, I believe the quality will only improve from here on out. I purposely rushed this test batch to see what kind of results I would end up with. So far I'd have to say, I have a new way to lube my boolits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC.jpg   45.jpg  
    Last edited by ddstuder; 08-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I'm new to the whole casting thing, matter of fact I just cast my first boolits last night. Thanks to all the great people and info on this site they turned out great (I have done ALOT of reading on here). I have one question about this pc process that I haven't stumbled across. If I drop from mold into water, gather out of water and allow to dry, can I go straight to the pc container or do I need to clean them with acetone first?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You can go straight to PC. The only time they need cleaned with acetone or thinner is if you are cleaning boolits that have been previously lubed with something else or if you use some sort of lube when sizing them before PC (such as alox or mink oil, etc). As long as they are free of any oils, you are good to go. Water will dry and not affect the coating. (make sure the water is clean.... if you use some sort of old can or bucket that isn't perfectly clean and has a sheen of oil/grease on the water, then you will need to clean them.)
    I have heard of some people getting poor coating after excessive handling between casting and coating, but I sort all of mine by hand, sometimes 2 or 3 times, handle them when sizing and/or gas checking, and maybe even sometimes have others look at/handle some of them before coating and I have not experienced any problems.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 10-09-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spellin'
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, can't wait to get home from work......

Boolit Buddy
    Ha, well waiting on some 'proper' powder coming. Meantime, I am stuck with spit 'n paper.

Look... kinda powder-coaty..

Looks like you need to brush . Assuming that the dark color is lube, what are you using as lube? Those look better then what I did when I tried to patch.

Boolit Mold
    gota try this guys, i'm lov'in this powder coating, I always thought lubing was just too messy,but thats the kind of guy I am

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Ebner Glocken made an advance that has been advanced/perfected by Hanleyfan. Got the GoldenBall black BBs on the way and just got the RAL 6002 PC. Timing on this could not have been better for me. The great thinking, innovation, and hard work by all concerned is really appreciated.
    Same here I give you guys a tip of the hat.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Great now you guys find a way to get nice coats without a gun after I bought one.
    Me too I haven't taken it out of the box yet,I did get the compressor set up and running

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Beagle - I'm pushing PC'd rifle well into jacketed territory, try 2 or 3x coated PB and compare to your PP, sized barely above bore. Don't know how 'soft' I can go with the alloy but intend to find out.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

That's great news, popper! I'm just starting to get into rifle boolits at higher speeds. I have been loading for my 30-30 until now, but I'm going to load the 8mm, the Whelen and the .270 as well. They should provide a little more challenge than the 30WCF.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Do I smell a "group buy" on .25gm BLACK AIRSOFT BB's.............?

HA...............ha!

banger
    I know it's a older thread but I can't find the black BB just a gallon of yellow did this GP buy ever happened?

Boolit Grand Master

Smoke4320 sells just the black ones.

3 bucks per thousand too! That's a deal. I had to buy one of those coffee can size jugs of them when I started, because that was all I could find at WM.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raying-bullets

You might be better off ordering a large container of them online. Trust me. You can't have just one color. I have 4 setup and i won't mix them. I plan to get a half dozen more colors. Just don't tell my wife LOL
    Using Tapatalk

I ordered sample packs with all the colors SMokey has for sale atm should have gotten more bb's. I fear ill be ordering full pounds of them shortly afterwards. You can get almost 2 times as much for the cost vs PBTP

Boolit Master

Humm what caliber Popper? what kinda groups you getting?
    I finally gave it a try it worked great coating the boolits I plan to load and shoot tomorrow if it doesn't rain me out.

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    Haven't been casting long and still learning the ropes but the casting part came easy using COWW's. Here's My first "successful" coated bullets. One of the tricks I learned when dry tumbling is to wear disposable latex gloves when picking them out. then I Spin them between my fingers before placing them on the oven tray to get any of the ones that missed a spot. Though it is succesfull I have over 4500 of these to coat in calibers so a powder coat gun is definitely in my future! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temporary-10.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	125039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temporary-14.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	125040

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    Haven't been casting long and still learning the ropes but the casting part came easy using COWW's. Here's My first "successful" coated bullets. One of the tricks I learned when dry tumbling is to wear disposable latex gloves when picking them out. then I Spin them between my fingers before placing them on the oven tray to get any of the ones that missed a spot. Though it is succesfull I have over 4500 of these to coat in calibers so a powder coat gun is definitely in my future! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temporary-10.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	125039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temporary-14.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	125040
    Them some nice looking boolits for DT.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! Thanks to Castboolits, Beagle333, and the TFL. Guys really have a lot of helpful info out there!

Boolit Grand Master

That's some good coverage! 'Looks like you got the hang of it!

Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast