WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    There is no "black magic" - only a lack of knowledge and/or understanding.
    kill·joy/ˈkilˌjoi/

noun

1. a person who deliberately spoils the enjoyment of others through resentful or overly sober behavior.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    kill·joy/ˈkilˌjoi/

noun

1. a person who deliberately spoils the enjoyment of others through resentful or overly sober behavior.

LOL !!! One must have a little humor in their life.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    This has been a great thread! Here in humid N. Texas, I've had great success with the airsoft BB, #5 container, HF red. I think the static accumulates on the lead better when the humidity is relatively low. The air soft BB method works well on the 1st try on low humidity days, but with elevated humidity, I've only had success only when I preheated my boolits to ~200*F for the BB powdercoat, or shake/bake a partial coat, then re-shake/bake for full coverage. With the humidity so variable here, It is faster for me to preheat, then shake/bake hot boolits.

Boolit Mold
    I wonder if a stun gun could be used to induce as stronger static charge to the BBs/booklets, for better "cling"?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
    I wonder if a stun gun could be used to induce as stronger static charge to the BBs/booklets, for better "cling"?
    Or just use the ESPC gun like the stuff was engineered to be applied. In high humidity climates, I would imagine the shake-n-roll DT tub system could be a bit sketchy due to low static. Here in AZ we are in our "monsoon season" now and DP's run from 55-70. I have not tried BBDT in higher DP's the past several days, just use my ESPC gun.

If you have a stunner, try it and let us know if it makes any difference. Enquiring minds MUST know!

banger
    Last edited by bangerjim; 08-03-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    You start to notice the method declining above 70% humidity. Anything above 85% and it declines RAPIDLY. Then it's time for steel bbs and the vibrator and of course ESPC. I just loaded up some .454 casull PC today. Hopefully video will be coming soon.

Ebner

Boolit Buddy

I'll add my experience with DTPC.. I have tried the methods with copper bbs and with no bbs at all. Both were in a cool whip container and shaken and swirled. In another thread , "powder fatigue" was discussed with HF red . I noticed the coverage with HF red to taper off after a batch or 2, even though there was powder in the container ..adding fresh powder corrected the poor coating.

Boolit Master

I'm certainly no electrician, or a physicist, I failed every math class above basic arithmetic. But isn't static electricity different from AC or DC power?

When I gather the funds, I'm going to try something. It was mentioned above, and is where my thinking was leading me. Charging the powder cloud inside a plastic container with static elec. Pure static electricity,(SE). From a device like this;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_i=typ01

I don't think it would take very much of this pure SE to coat quite a few boolits. A liner of foil on the bottom connected to one lead of the generator, the other suspended above the boolits and powder. I don't think it would matter if there was airsoft BB's in with them or not. The function of the bb's was to generate SE by rubbing on the #5 plastic.

I too have had failure to coat by the #5 plastic bowl, airsoft white or black Crossman bb's, and HF red. I went with a midway tumbler, black bb's and the same HF red. That worked much better. My central air keeps the humidity level low, so I don't think that's a concern.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    As you can see from the posts that DO list locations (!), the humid locations are having problems this summer. Here in AZ, even though we call it humid, it is still very dry compared to back east and down south. I did a small batch in my back shop which has an A/C, right after a dumper of a rainstorm last night and, in my small Zip-Lok #5 screw-on lid containers, red and blue still work perfectly with BBDT. And it was NOT fresh powder. I do not buy into the "worn out" powder idea. I have never seen it in all the times I have used BBDT. I can use the powder down till there is absolutely ZERO left in the container and it still coats.....until it is ALL gone. Then I add more.

Hope you guys figure out something to beat the humidity and no-static until fall rolls around! The ESPC gun is definitely a viable alternative.....I have never had it fail. But I have not tried it in a swamp or a rainstorm.

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's a pretty fancy machine, Snuffy. I'd like to see it doing its thing!

It's not a big stretch for me to go back to compressor and HF gun on days tumble won't take.
    Only takes one more trip down the stairs.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Lot of $$ for a VandeGraff machine. Make your own.
    Uh huh, now justt how do you do that? I can build just about anything, just need plans, or a pattern.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Lot of $$ for a VandeGraff machine. Make your own.
    It is NOT a VandeGraff machine, it is a Wimhurst Influence Machine. I have one of these ( and a VandeGraff as well!) that was made back in 1845 and, hooked up to some good Leyden jars, it will knock you on your keister...........and across the room!!!!!! Nothing to play with. Ben Franklin almost killed himself with one of those. I doubt if that little toy can generate like that, but is will give a zap.

Let's see if the site graphic upload engine is working today:

Attachment 112644
    My machine.

Scientists back in the early days of electricity and medicine used those machines for experiments and "quack" medicinal cures.

You would still be better off buying a Harbor Freight ESPC gun and taking the high tension circuitry out and using that. It is on sale right now for ~$65 and they always have those 20% coupons floating around!

(PS My machine has been valued at over $2,000.)

bangerjim
    Last edited by bangerjim; 08-04-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Uh huh, now justt how do you do that? I can build just about anything, just need plans, or a pattern.
    I built one and there are a LOT of parts to the thing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wimshurst 8c.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	112645
    Tons of brass balls to turn. No-lead 1/4" glass disks to find. Many lathe-turned brass parts. I spend many hours making one!

Here is some info:

Name:	wim_manual.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	112646

bangerjim

Boolit Mold
    Well, here in GA the humidity is high.
    I broke down and bought the HF ES gun this weekend.
    On sale for $65 minus the 20% coupon.
    Also got some coarse walnut media and another vibratory polisher.
    Figured I'll try DTC some in the vibratory polisher.
    If it works, great.
    If not, I'll use the ES gun.
    I can always use another vibe shiner for brass.
    Keep the .223/.444 & the .38.45 separate.
    Keeps from having the smaller brass get stuck in the bigger brass.
    Last edited by Jaymo; 08-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll like the gun. It sure makes a good coat, no matter the conditions.

Boolit Buddy
    Brain dead question since I'm at home and out of coffee

On the AL no stick foil - shiny side up or dull side up?

I have everything on hand, but the humidity is uber high ( for CO norms ) for the last few days and I'm waiting for a normal August scorcher to toast me up some test samples.

Boolit Grand Master

Non stick foil actually says "Non Stick Side" on the side you should use.

(and it is the dull side, btw)
    Last edited by Beagle333; 08-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wrong type of airsofts, 78% humidity, no forceps.. but the right type of round #5 plastic ("Ziploc") bowl...

Bottom Row.. top row two coats, ESPC. I think we have a winner for pistol here, boys...

Name:	boolit.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	112727

Boolit Mold
    Wifey bought a couple tubs of Aldi brand whipped topping in #5 (PP) tubs, just for me to use for PC.
    The munchkins can eat the whipped grease on their ice cream.
    I'll wash the tubs and use them for shake 'n bake.
    Can't wait to try out the HF ES PC gun.
    I'm looking for other small items to PC.

BTW, Lyman Devastator HPs look amazing in wet black

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=bangerjim;2880261]I built one and there are a LOT of parts to the thing!

Name:	wimshurst 8c.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	112645
    Tons of brass balls to turn. No-lead 1/4" glass disks to find. Many lathe-turned brass parts. I spend many hours making one!

Here is some info:

Name:	wim_manual.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	112646

bangerjim[/QUOE]

Here's a guy that has several wimshurst ES you tube building vids. he gets some pretty impressive sparks from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGASVWJPXNo

As for the HF gun, the cost is about what I would pay for a wimshurst machine from amazon. I'd just use the ES generator from the gun, I don't have a compressor OR the room/place tp spray anything. THEN IF I would ever win the lottery I would build a house with a spray booth! So I could then use the gun.

Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast