RepackboxPBcastcoReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Here we go......another shortage of black Airsoft! The Airsoft crowd will HATE us!

HA..............HA!

As I told Beagle in a PM, I am an avid AirSoft shooter in the garage and backyard and already had all the weight of bb's so I was able to quickly test all the different types.

Have not tried it yet with .177 metal bb's. Will give it a try.......er......swirl later. Cutting up 90# of 1/4" thick lead sheeting into 2# strips right now. My double cut HF rotary saw plows thru it like a hot knife thru butter. No need to ingotize it.....clean and almost 2# in every strip.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I can tell you not all airsoft bbs will work good, I 2 types my boys had here at the house, one was a dark dull green almost black color, this was the one I tried first and worked great, after 2 min. of shaking they were all covered with powder where you could not tell what color they were, the other type I had on hand was a bright shinny almost transparent green color I tried them today and they did not work very well, they were better than doing it the usual way but not much, I shook these for over 10 min and they never did get covered with powder, they were as shinny as when I started. as far as getting the boolits out is as I pick them out when there are no more on top I just swirl the bowl and some will come to the top and when that does not work I pour off the bbs into another bow until I get to boolits, works very well and I enjoy it a lot better than lubing the old way, man I hated that and I got all these shinny colored boolits to admire!

Boolit Master
    Waiting till someone leaves a copper or steel bb in the nose of a H/P while baking and figures out it glues them in place. Extra initiation of expansion and possible additional penetration is what I was thinking.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    I can tell you not all airsoft bbs will work good, ... black color, this was the one I tried first and worked great, after 2 min. of shaking they were all covered with powder. as far as getting the boolits out is as I pick them out when there are no more on top I just swirl the bowl and some will come to the top...
    Black works. 2 minutes of swirl (or, in my case, I shook it like I was shaking a can of spray paint before use... hard!) and they are completely coated. Agree with swirl gently after picking out what you see and the others will come to the top.
    Baking now..... results soon.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Alright, here's the gear. I put about 1/3 of that CoolWhip bowl full of BBs, dumped in about (well, you'll see) so many boolits, and about a heaping tablespoon of powder and shook it pretty vigorously (holding the lid on tightly) for 2 mins. Then fished em out by the nose with my needlenose pliers. After you pick as many as you can see, just swirl gently and the others will "float" up in the BBs. Then stack em on non-stick foil and bake as by directions.
    I did use too much powder this time, as I have a lot of it left in the bottom of the CoolWhip bowl. No worries, it'll be there for the next batch, but it would help coverage if I had used a little less. But I was in a hurry.

And here is my first hurried test of it...... I think this is vastly better than the other tumble dry methods I have tried! This really works great! 100% of the driving bands are covered and if one was careful with tweezers or hemostats or picked them up by the lube groove with some sharp-tipped bent tweezers, they wouldn't have a scratch on em. As it is, I got a couple of light scratches on just a few of the noses.... but not many at all! I could have still cherry picked 3/4 of these for a glamour photo if I was wanting to impress somebody.

And as I'm always saying... the driving bands are what matters. It's a slippery coating between the boolit and the barrel, the nose and base coating is just for people who want a shiny nose. But this does make a beautiful coat.
    One shake, one bake.... with no air compressor, no HF gun, no wasted powder, no flashing..... awesome! This ought get anybody off the fence who was interested but didn't want to spend the $$ on the other equipment.

I'm saying this method rocks!

Here they are, fresh outta the oven, untouched, unsized and still about 350 degrees.
    One pass thru my Lee sizer to get em back to .452 and they'll be slick as glass!
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-03-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spellin

Boolit Master
    Im impressed! Looks like I will need to get some of those black airsoft bb's.

Banned

"One shake, one bake.... with no air compressor, no HF gun, no wasted powder, no flashing..... awesome! This ought get anybody off the fence who was interested but didn't want to spend the $$ on the other equipment."

The advances in DT are inspiring. I could not have said it any better.

Boolit Grand Master

Here they are, indoors with flash. Group photo after sizing.

And of course, the obligatory glamour close-up.

I see no reason to spray any more, except for the novelty of it, or occasions such as next week when Mom requested a box of red ones for Mother's Day, and I'll want them perfect.
    This should put my HF gun back in the closet most of the time.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-03-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Beagle those look just like mine. Almost completely smooth. Not mirror smooth, but who cares!!!!!! They have a 100% good protective cover to prevent leading.

The black bb's help in the dispersion/adhesion of the powder. Loooooove it!

My ESPC gun is now reserved for only matte black and coating tools and other things.

This should get all those nay-sayers and fence-sitters out there to start eating coolwhip!

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, you can see a little silver on a few of the noses where I grabbed them with the flat sided needlenose pliers for the transfer, but the driving bands are 100% on every one.

This was a first attempt.
    Maybe with a little practice and if I sharpen the tips of the pliers..... they'll be as pretty as they are functional!

Love Life
    Interesting indeed. I must go to Wal-Mart, get mall ninja practice ammo, and give this a try.

This looks promising. Now if I could just get past the whole needing pliers (or something similar) and non-stick foil, then perhaps I would be happy.

I will admit that this does look very promising and I will give it an honest college boy (<----College is over rated) try!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    This looks promising. Now if I could just get past the whole needing pliers (or something similar) and non-stick foil, then perhaps I would be happy.
    It's still in its infancy. I can see another find easily changing the game for the better again!

The non-stick foil can be used over and over.... it doesn't build up like with spraying.
    One square will last for many bakes.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-03-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I coated the tips of the tweezers with liquid electrical tape, much less marking and scraping off of powder when picking them out. Bake in the toaster over on parchment paper, works very nicely.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Interesting indeed. I must go to Wal-Mart, get mall ninja practice ammo, and give this a try.

I will admit that this does look very promising and I will give it an honest college boy (<----College is over rated) try!
    Don't fret the NS foil!!!!! I does cost more than el-cheeepo store foil, but I just took off a piece of NS that I have baked over 600 boolits on!!!!!! By putting them on there with hemostats (or other tools) you get hardly any sticking and no flash around the base like you get with the ESPC method (which only gets about 3-4 foil uses). And for those out there that are always whining about coating the bases, this method DOES that!

Don't 'ya have a pair of needle nose pliers any where???????????? Everybody has at least one pair somewhere! The hemostats are the best as they get an excellent grip on the boolit. The curved or angles ones are the best.

bangerjim

Geesh ! .. com'on you guys ! wife and I are in wally world and she has the grocery's in her cart and she looks at mine ....
    It's got a bag of the cotton type filler (for my rifle rounds) and a couple of bottles of Airsoft black BB's !!...
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Picked mine up today at WallyWorld.... Now I just need to get out there and DT some boolits!!!
    About how many boolits do you guys put in? say 200gr boolits

Doc

Boolit Grand Master

I think I had around 65, 'could have put 75-85 easy though. (225gr). Gonna depend on tray size. Mine is 8x10.
    But it was my first try. I would think that you could tumble a few and then tumble some more and maybe some more.... since it's so fast. Just tumble some, pick em out and stand up, ..... repeat.. til you get a full tray.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Geesh ! .. com'on you guys ! wife and I are in wally world and she has the grocery's in her cart and she looks at mine ....
    It's got a bag of the cotton type filler (for my rifle rounds) and a couple of bottles of Airsoft black BB's !!...
    I made mine wait in the truck. She thought I was just going in there for some cat litter and didn't notice me toss the extra bag in the back when I returned.

Boolit Buddy
    Well y'all got me to try the air soft bb's. I only had grey and white. Darn if it didn't work. The powder stuck to the white but not at all to the grey. I put a full hand full of bb's in with about 50 9mm's didn't take long and I had full coverage with HF red. This is getting better and better, I know one of you guys are going to figure out how to get them to coat all by themselves.

Now to find a #5 container with a screw on lid.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast