MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    We need pictures Jim ... Do you still fit the suits?
    If not, we could powder them and you would have a good source of PC Powder
    Surprisingly ( and to my wife's TOTAL frustration!!!!) most of my clothes from 35 years ago still fit!!!!! My waste has expanded a couple inches but everything still in OK!!!!!!! I only weigh 5# more! And that is muscle mass.

I actually had a lime green leisure suite!!!!!!!! ZOMBIE GREEN????????

Oh, for the good olde daze. Reganomics rule!

bangerjim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    This is what makes one wise, Experience by failure.
    Jim ... For what it's worth I seem to always find your bits of wisdom after my own lesson.

"The day you quit learning......is the day they nail the lid on your coffin!"

banger

Boolit Master
    Not sure if anyone has tried this yet but I have been rolling it around in my bucket for a while.
    I have a Remington Mfg. 03A3 that I picked up for nothing. It was someone's project rifle and they did a good job of Bubbatizing it.
    I have this idea in my head of using some PC'd cast pistol boolits. Say 100~120 Gr. and use a reduced load of pistol powder maybe like 10~12 Gr. Unique or HS-6?
    May just be me ... but that sure do sound like a fun shooter. Has anyone tried something like this?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Okay... tried it. Got some latex gloves. Dumped powder and ASBBs in ziplocks and massaged well. Boolits only took on lightly colored sheen of red or green. (I tried both colors) A lot of silver was still showing. And the gloves only rubbed more off of them, even though I dipped fingers in powder first.

So I dumped all into the CoolWhip bowls and shook good. Then tried lifting out carefully with gloves and smoothing out the boolits while they were standing on the foil. I spun them gently and tried to get a good coat. It just made it spotty. It worked exactly the way my earlier test with nitrile gloves did.

So I dumped em back and tumbled good again and picked out of CoolWhip bowl with sharpened pliers and sat on foil gently. Got good coat again.

Apparently, here with my humidity, in my static level of my work area, the pliers and CoolWhip bowl are still the best/fastest way to get a good shootable coat.

Kinda powdery, ready to bake. Maybe a little too powdery, but at least fully coated. I coulda tapped em once and it wouldn't have hurt anything.

Fresh as cookies outta the oven. Now off to the sizer...
    Beagle333 -- what brand powders did you use - I like the green!!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It's from the powders being sold by Smoke4320. The green covers really good! It may be better than Harbor Freight red, even!

Link to his ad
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I hate to make anyone feel old but I had to Google up what the heck a sharkskin suit is.

Yikes.

Just yikes.

Bob, don't feel bad, my GKs tell me I'm old. And yes, I had yellow, blue & grey bell bottom leisure suits _ at the recommendation of her. I do remember the sharkskin as Mom got me a nice one (I'm sure it wasn't cheap) when I was a GSer, for church. Running around playing and fell, put a hole in the knee. Yes I do remember that suit and the heck I get.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Trying to upload some pics of PC bullets, i did these with HF powder and Tumbling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01182.jpg   DSC01167.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice! I like the red tinge. What did you do to get the yellow to stick so well?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    tried some with yellow HF powder
    using blue BBs
    took 2 coats, still kinda thin
    not very impressed
    but im sure they will shoot fine
    here they are after sizing, please note the anvil test was successful

but they are yellow errr.... schoolbus yellow anyway

Beagle333 --- thanks for the link ... ordered the green!!

Boolit Master

It doesn't need to be a thick coating to work. PC is hell for tough.

Boolit Grand Master
    You picked the WORST HF color to try for your 1st time! Yellow and white are very poor and I do not use them except to mix with red and black (ESPC only!).

If a powder takes more than one coat, find another color/powder. Red it the best.

bangerjim

Has anyone tried a gray powder? For some reason I want to try a nice glossy gray. But finding powders is the challenge! Pretty much gonna have to order them from Eastwood or PBTP. Only found one place in the Denver area besides Harbor Freight that sells powders, and they have a 5lb. minimum per color.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been following this thread for a while, reading other sites, watching videos, just about everything I could to learn more about PC. I just got some non-stick aluminum foil, Rubbermaid plastic bowls with lids, a toaster oven from Big Lots, some HF red, and some 6mm AS BBs. I ran 6 bullets through and must say I am impressed. I had been fumbling around using HF matte black with dismal results. These red ones aren't perfect but I'll refine my process by practicing. Thanks for all the great info!

Thanks, Dinny
    Last edited by Dinny; 06-06-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Thanks for breaking trail Guys,Third times the charm.Just like casting the more you do it the better they get. I ditched the HF powder and went to a local PC custom shop where they were kind enough to sell me Cardinal powder, seems to be what most shops around here use. One coat,good coverage and very pretty, two coats, eye candy. This is very easy and a lot of fun. Thanks again for all you guys have done to get this rolling. GP

Blanco: I picked up an old Polish 762x54 from a friend as he was culling his herd of Nagants. *** but got it for a hundred bucks with half a spam can of Ivan the Terribles finest SLIGHTLY corrosive ammo. PCed up some Lee CTL312-160-2Rs No gas check put it over 11gr UNIQUE at max COL.and it out shot the Russian ammo. Not any kind of target rifle here but as I said over at CBA the youngsters can use it to scare the **** out of ground squirrels. No leading even with .314 in a .317 throat. GP

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Has anyone tried a gray powder? For some reason I want to try a nice glossy gray. But finding powders is the challenge! Pretty much gonna have to order them from Eastwood or PBTP. Only found one place in the Denver area besides Harbor Freight that sells powders, and they have a 5lb. minimum per color.
    There is a thread in this forum where a guy is selling good powder for a decent price. Also, allpowderpaints sells the same (???) paint as PBTP (at least their colors are named the same - like "super durable wet black") but without PBTP's high shipping cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    I've been following this thread for a while, reading other sites, watching videos, just about everything I could to learn more about PC. I just got some non-stick aluminum foil, Rubbermaid plastic bowls with lids, a toaster oven from Big Lots, some HF red, and some 6mm AS BBs. I ran 6 bullets through and must say I am impressed. I had been fumbling around using HF matte black with dismal results. These red ones aren't perfect but I'll refine my process by practicing. Thanks for all the great info!

Thanks, Dinny
    Harbor Freight black works, but only if using the Piglet wet coating method (mix paint and lacquer thinner, then tumble)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Blanco: I picked up an old Polish 762x54 from a friend as he was culling his herd of Nagants. *** but got it for a hundred bucks with half a spam can of Ivan the Terribles finest SLIGHTLY corrosive ammo. PCed up some Lee CTL312-160-2Rs No gas check put it over 11gr UNIQUE at max COL.and it out shot the Russian ammo. Not any kind of target rifle here but as I said over at CBA the youngsters can use it to scare the **** out of ground squirrels. No leading even with .314 in a .317 throat. GP
    I actually have a Mosin that I have been wanting to do EXACTLY this with.
    I know accuracy wasn't stellar, but just curious what it did?
    Not sure on this but you may be able to use .32 cal pistol boolits? that, to me any way, sounds like a fun little 50~100 yd plinker?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast