Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    OK, got the fog out of the brain. Polyprop(#5) works as it HOLDS static elec. longer than anything but virgin teflon (DF elec. char.) & glassy crystals - diamond, sapphire, etc.
    Does that mean tumbling in a glass jar would work better than in a #5 container?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Does that mean tumbling in a glass jar would work better than in a #5 container?
    Can you say.........."BREAKAGE?" I sure would not attempt to do the actions (around and around...up and down.....HARD) I use with plastic containers in glass anything.

It might work. Why not try it...........and we can all go to school on you? Just be careful cleaning up all those chards of broken glass.

banger

Hey everyonen
    Someone mentioned try rubbing the container on a carpet and then shaking the contents. I just wanted to let you known it works! It seems to give a good extra static charge to the container, my boolist coated much faster.

The wife thought I was a little nuter than usual!
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

I've got a lot of mason jars..... with lids..... hmmmm
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Now for the accuracy. Or lack thereof. At least with the 9's, the RN was best, but a 6" group @ 25 yards is awful. Pistol is my CZ-75B, it's capable of 2" groups with the right recipe. The TC boolits missed the whole paper target all 5 shots! (From 25 yds). (Standard copy paper). I suspect that even though there was no leading from either boolit, the soft lead just won't work in that gun.
    Soft lead in my CZ75 wouldn't hit paper at 7 yards and leaded like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Can you say.........."BREAKAGE?" I sure would not attempt to do the actions (around and around...up and down.....HARD) I use with plastic containers in glass anything.

It might work. Why not try it...........and we can all go to school on you? Just be careful cleaning up all those chards of broken glass.

banger
    I used a glass jar for Piglet coating back when with no problem. They have quite thick ones.

All powder Super wet black, 125 gr 9mm from mihec mold,and nickle cases.
    Makes a great looking cartridge!!

Boolit Grand Master

Sticky time!
    Keep it up fellers, youre making history.

Oh and seriously, somebody should have told me about this epicly stick worthy thread back on page 9?
    Cant read everything fellers! Need a hand sometimes!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Thanks for the Sticky! At present, this seems to be the New Best Way for low cost and easy coating.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Here's my first attempt at BB-TC-PC. TOTAL success!! My ES Gun is on the shelf for now cause this technique is SO simple.

Try it, you'll like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Sticky time!
    Keep it up fellers, youre making history.

Oh and seriously, somebody should have told me about this epicly stick worthy thread back on page 9?
    Cant read everything fellers! Need a hand sometimes!
    Tim,

thanks for the kudos and help getting the word out there!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Had an issue with my second batch of tumble PC boolits.
    I have been using the ziploc type containers that Hilshire Farms lunch meat comes in. They seem to work well and have a nice fitting lid. For an unknown reason my second batch had about 1/3 of the boolits that were nearly impossible to resize after coating. I noticed there was a bit of clumping on some boolits after the tumble. My first impression is that I had too much powder in the bowl.
    I started over with fresh BB's and 1/2 of a spoonful of PC powder. I still noticed a bit of clumping....
    I got a 2nd (same Type) bowl and just put BB's in it. After the first tumble i picked the boolits out and "Dry" tumbled them.
    This seemed to help tremendously with the resize and it seemed the powder was thin and evenly distributed.
    So... it seems that I had too much powder in the first bowl.
    Anyhow thought I would share maybe someone else has had problems like this?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
    Had an issue with my second batch of tumble PC boolits.
    I have been using the ziploc type containers that Hilshire Farms lunch meat comes in. They seem to work well and have a nice fitting lid. For an unknown reason my second batch had about 1/3 of the boolits that were nearly impossible to resize after coating. I noticed there was a bit of clumping on some boolits after the tumble. My first impression is that I had too much powder in the bowl.
    I started over with fresh BB's and 1/2 of a spoonful of PC powder. I still noticed a bit of clumping....
    I got a 2nd (same Type) bowl and just put BB's in it. After the first tumble i picked the boolits out and "Dry" tumbled them.
    This seemed to help tremendously with the resize and it seemed the powder was thin and evenly distributed.
    So... it seems that I had too much powder in the first bowl.
    Anyhow thought I would share maybe someone else has had problems like this?
    This is just my semi-educated opinion, but if those containers are rectangular, you may be getting irregular coatings due to a non-linear distribution of powder in there. I tried square and rectangular ones early on but have found long ago that round is the best shape! Either coolwhip (lid can pop off) or the ZIPLOK or any other #5 brand with screw-on lids. (best)

Buy some round 15 oz ones and try them and report back. That is the size I use for small batches of "messing around". The really large ones tend to be real deep and make picking those little buggers out of there not that easy!

And too much powder has always been a no-no. I start off, depending on the amount/cal of boolits, with 1/3 teaspoon and just enough black BB's to cover the bottom of the container. Swirl 30 seconds & check for coating progress.....add more powder as needed.........then hard shake up and down 30 seconds. Almost 99% coated! I use hemostats to pickup as they really grip better than needle nose pliers or anything else I have ever tried. If the coat looks too thick, gently tap the hemo on the side of the container to knock a bit off and then set on your NSAF covered oven rack.

I will have to try the swirling in only BB's to see what results I get.

It's all in the static. Someone on here tried rubbing the bottom of the plastic container on carpet to increase static and it seemed to work. Something else to try....just don't get powder on your living room carpet or you may find your wife shooting at you with some of your own nicely coated boolits!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Master
    Thanks BangerJim, I will give the round containers a try. I seem to remember a part of this thread....
    It's getting so big now that it's hard to keep up with.
    Maybe we need a bullet listed list of stuff to do and what will and wont work ?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Buddy
    Sparky45; whats that Gold boolit in the middle of all them red ones, what type of powder and color?

Boolit Master
    Another question for those in the KNOW
    What types of powder should be avoided? I have seen some textured finish powders that look interesting, but not sure how it would work out ?
    So any failures you would like to keep others from making?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Actually I threw that one in for contrast. It's a uncoated cast bullet. The powder is the old standby HF Red.

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyfan View Post
    Sparky45; whats that Gold boolit in the middle of all them red ones, what type of powder and color?

ASBB DT 30 cal. for no GC load. Even better than ESPC! Bases are very good & clean. Rear edge of drive band is clean and sharp. Nose is a little textured but who cares about that end.

Attachment 105415.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    You can see the yellow light highlights on the red coated ones. That light color shift makes the bare one look goldish.

To get a surface finish like that, you would have to use ESPC, as DT will never approach that fine detail in the grease grooves and smooth metal finish. A gold or copper powder applied with an ESPC gun should easily give you a finish like that.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    That's a good lookin' boolit, Popper!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast