Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cs86 View Post
    I was brain storming on what others have mentioned about the tumble method with BBs. The main things that pop into my mind is type of plastics and static. I was thinking about beeswax lubes and how it acts as a carrier for oils and wondered if there might be something else we need to add to the mix to help aid coating. Someone mentioned walking across the carpet to generate static. So I wondered if small pieces of Styrofoam into the mix would help generate static. This is just a thought that is spilling out as I type and thought I'd share to spark any ideas. Not that what we have isn't working, but just food for thought. I'd give this a try but currently don't have any boolits made or Styrofoam. I'm thinking of harder Styrofoam like the stuff that is in block form that is packaged around items in boxes. I'm not sure if it would crush during tumbling or aid in static.
    You might be on to something here. Either take some of that Styrofoam and break it down small and add to the powder and maybe BB mix. It should impart quite a good bit of static into the mix really quickly. Almost wonder if you could take a styrofoam cooler and do large batches in one of those.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    You might be on to something here. Either take some of that Styrofoam and break it down small and add to the powder and maybe BB mix. It should impart quite a good bit of static into the mix really quickly. Almost wonder if you could take a styrofoam cooler and do large batches in one of those.
    Let me know when you put a large quantity of boolits in a styrofoam container and i will be sure to be faaaaaaaar away! Those things are barely strong enough to hold a 12 pack + ice, let alone "large batches" of our heavy lead boolits. You will be playing pick-em-up for a long time as well as cleaning powder off you and everything around you. Avoid styro containers/coolers/stuff. No strength. And the are not round.....the shape that works the best (or at all?).

Will someone please try the styro pieces and we will know instead of just using conjecture? I have no interest in doing it but sounds like some do. Just Do It. And report back. I doubt if it will even work because the weight of our boolits will shatter the foam into unmanageable pieces and just create a big powder-covered mess, with tiny pieces of broken foam sticking to everything in the container and the boolits on your racks.

banger

Boolit Master

Just curious if anybody has tried the polypropylene pellets used for stuffing cushions instead of airsoft bbs?

Attachment 104778 Something changed in IMG tab?
    top to bottom: ESPC, 20% R.H. ASBB DT, 60% R.H. ASBB DT,same, same w GC. First 2 have been sized.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Will someone please try the styro pieces and we will know instead of just using conjecture? I have no interest in doing it but sounds like some do. Just Do It. And report back. I doubt if it will even work because the weight of our boolits will shatter the foam into unmanageable pieces and just create a big powder-covered mess, with tiny pieces of broken foam sticking to everything in the container and the boolits on your racks.
    I'd like to give the idea a try, I just need to cast some and find some styro. You do have a point that they may have a tendency to stick to places you don't want them, and if they become broken into smaller pieces might be a pain more then anything. It might be awhile, but when I do I'll report back.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Attachment 104778 Something changed in IMG tab?
    top to bottom: ESPC, 20% R.H. ASBB DT, 60% R.H. ASBB DT,same, same w GC. First 2 have been sized.
    I actually appears that higher humidity gives you a thinner smother coat.....more like ESPC. I know mine are thicker but seem to be uniform.

I also noticed your reds are getting darker with BBDT. Mine do the same thing. With the gun, the red is fire engine red, but DT, I believe, is rubbing off a tiny bit of the lead and darkening the coating slightly. It would not take much...just look at your hands/gloves after handling a few dozen boolits! I am talking molecular levels of lead here, about the same as rubbing a graphite pencil on paper. That will NOT lead your barrel, as I am sure somebody will pop up and moan about after reading this!~!!!!! It is more of a darkening pigment than anything else.

Back when I first started this and was following the bad directions I read on using a rock tumbler, the black plastic drums were coming off and darkening the red. And the coating was horrible due to the tumbler's actions. Did not do that ever again. You do NOT need any mechanical device to get acceptable coatings with the BBDT method. Save your vibrators/tumblers for rocks and cases.

I put my GC's on AFTER coating. I guess I just like the look of the bright shiny copper on the back end. (I do not ever use aluminum). They go on and stay on very well.

banger

It's a extremely thin coating, lots of exposed Pb, I think the colorant flows differently than the base material. Only the top 1 is ESPC, rest are DT. I will try drying the tub, had some plastic dessicant bags I will try if I can find them to put in the powder. Dang, always throwing those away. Rice instead of ASBBs?
    Whatever!

Check this out! At 0.55. Not for anybody that has a pacemaker maybe but another neat project for a static build-up PC system
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...cs-with-a-Tou/
    Last edited by finstr; 05-13-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cs86 View Post
    $20 for BBs sounds pricy.
    canada

Dumped the contents of the CW bowel into a clean, dry ice cream container, #5, ASBB & several 30 cal rifle boolits. In ~15 sec very good coating, just swirling - no bouncing. Kroger Select brand I think. Finally dry, warm & sunny here so I put a paper towel over it and left it outside to dry the powder - which I know was damp as it clumps by itself. Don't use much CW but lots of these and they work well.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Once you tumble the 30 cals, how are you baking them? Do you stand them up or just spread out on paper or foil, or perhaps wire?
    I think rifle boolits are the most trouble for me.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Beagle333 have you forgotten this thread?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...82-Tray-Ideals

I was liking
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    That lengthy thread pretty much covers everything "holding"!

I still use fender washers of appropriate size under NSAF and push the GC area thru. Holds my 30 cal boolits up fine. I BBDT and dump on hardware cloth my 223's because they are just a PITA being soooooo small.

banger

Just got these at walmart, perfect size tray for pc baking, cover with ns foil . 2 bucks each

Pick them out with hemostats & set base down on NS foil, the steel plate/tray is in the oven so it takes a steady hand or 2. Working on the WB with the DT is easier than on the floor. I place in batches of 30 or so, gives time for the arm to rid itself of the shakes. So far, easiest/fastest method I've used & I've tried a lot.
    I only end up handling once, dump in tub & then move each to the oven. No flash on the base. Total coverage cause I shoot a lot without GC. Takes a little care to place in the oven, biggest problem is hitting the side & knocking over a bunch. I just toss them back into the tub & redo.
    Last edited by popper; 05-15-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Banger and Arful.... I do remember that thread.... but I was wondering how he was ASBB tumbling and standing the 30s. I still have my washers for ESPC, but wasn't sure how to set them on the washers after they were tumbled.

Thanks popper... it looks like there is still no really easy way to do it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not tried BBDT'ing any tall rifle boolits and then setting them in washers with hemos. Bare lead on the nose is not a problem and I am sure some powder will come off "man-handling" them into the washers!!!!!!!!

Will have to try it next time I cast some 30's. I don't shoot them that often and have them all loaded up in my 30-06 cases.

But I am afraid you ARE right.............ESPC is really the only way to do tall skinny boolits effectively. Or live with lots of lay marks on the sides from hardware cloth.

"EASY"......may not be in the vocabulary of the process!

Did you ever investigate the silicon o-ring method someone came up with? I did not feel like spending all that money for "little rubber donuts" to coat the few rifle slugs I do.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Banger and Arful.... I do remember that thread.... but I was wondering how he was ASBB tumbling and standing the 30s. I still have my washers for ESPC, but wasn't sure how to set them on the washers after they were tumbled.

Thanks popper... it looks like there is still no really easy way to do it.
    Beagle,

I have struggled with "easy" too. It is the downside of most of these PC methods. Picking up bullets and putting them on a tray and keeping them upright during the transport to oven and then out of the oven to cool affects production rate.

For people who are not shooting large volumes it is not a factor - so they like the process. I would accept that to achieve superior performance for high velocity rifle bullets or defensive bullets.

For people who need a lot of pistol bullets, the Hi-Tek coatings are less fastidious. Their downsides are the acetone vapors and multiple coats.

Popper has, in my opinion, taken the rationale approach. PC for rifle bullets and Hi-Tek for pistol bullets.

I have decided I will try the new dry Hi-Tek just to do a hands on evaluation. I am also looking at the BBPC for the same reason. I will never ESPC. Bangerjim has done a lot of work and I respect his evaluations. BBPC is darn close to ESPC. I am not as anal as others as to how pretty the coating is - as long as it performs.

It is also important to understand we have different needs. I have a Star and nothing will beat its production rate using traditional lubes. My high volume needs are met and none of the other methods will come close. But not everyone will make the investment - so there is a place for other ways to get the job done.

For self-defense loads that will see high temperatures and/or long storage periods between use, a coated bullet is ideal. No risk of powder contamination.

If PC'ed bullets ever out perform commercial lubes like 2500+ or CR, then they have another important niche.

For these 'performance' needs, production rate is a minor trade off.

Don Verna
    Last edited by dverna; 05-15-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Beagle333 have you forgotten this thread?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...82-Tray-Ideals

I was liking
    I made another one. This works well also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Get a straight walled Styrofoam container and find a reinforcing cardboard container? I'm thinking shoe string potatoes cylinder would work!
    Using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast