WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Master
    That light ford blue paint he used from Eastwood is the best paint I have used. No need for BBs or preheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I find Standing up the bullets is not a requirement. He's a little eccentric but this will give you an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqLzWzKfes

Boolit Mold
    From Panama City FL, but living in South GA
    Quote Originally Posted by guncheese View Post
    got some new colors in today
    got right to the shake and bake !
    Guncheese, what brand powder is that?? Those blue boolits look beautiful!!! Thinking I want some blue for mine....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    There ya go, thinkin' outa da box. Got me doing it too. I picture the functional equivalent of a bottomless convection toaster oven that you set over your stationary pan of boolits. Oven comes to boolits instead of boolits come to oven.
    el34,

I just recently have gotten into PCing my 9mm boolits, as I was having trouble with leading in my barrel. Anyways, fast forward to batch #2 or 3 of my experiment and learning process and I had the grand ole idea of trying a heat gun. My buddy whom I also cast with, had a dewalt heat gun for me to borrow and boy does it get HOT. At first I was worried about the force of the blower blowing away the PC that was on the boolits after dry tumbling in ASBB (that I think were the wrong kind, coating was ok but could be better), but low and behold it got hot enough to melt the PC to the boolits. Now, I couldn't tell you what temp it got to, but I hovered fairly close over the top of them and 5-10 minutes later they were all coated nice enough to shoot. Now, that was just trial and maybe some error too, but it melted the PC to the boolit. Still not as pretty as some of these other BBDT boolits I've seen in this thread, but maybe effective enough to shoot and not get leading? Hope so.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

The black hard plastic is a different alloy to get the hardness and weight and seems to coat best. My black ones do coat completely. Other weights/colors do not so much.

banger
    Banger,

Out of sheer curiosity, I was recently looking on the net for some ASBBs and noticed that there are heavier weight ASBBs now. I used to also shoot some airsoft and new that my guns loved the .20gm BBs. It looks like now there are BBs weighing upwards of .45gm now! It also seems that in this thread, the heavier the BBs the better. Have you by chance experimented with BBs this heavy? I don't remember if these weight BBs were popular when I played, as that was a few years ago. I wonder if the heavier ones would produce better results, or if the .25gm BBs are just the magic weight. I guess that's all part of that black magic, huh?

-Dawg

Boolit Master

Powder coated for the first time today. After much reading I want to thank the pioneers and forum contributors. I probably wasted less than $10 getting my first batch done thanks to all of the grat advice posted here. My mistakes were buying a dry tumble container that was too big and not round and getting an assortment of pans for the convection oven. I picked up some of the Rubbermaid Takeaway containers and they're perfect. Actually, the baking pans that didn't work out set me back a whopping $3 at Dollar Tree and I'll use them elsewhere. My oven is a large Oster that will hold trays up to 14" w x 10" deep. Dollar Tree had some brownie pans for a buck each that are a good size for the oven but my favorite after one whole day of powder coating is a 1/4 sheet "commercial grade" cake pan from Wallyworld. It's heavy but doesn't flex when loaded up. It was $4.88 and worth it. It will hold up to 150 boolits easily. My first attempt was with 180 gr .40 TC boolits and Smoke's Carolina Blue. They came out ok but there were thin spots so I recoated them. Sized 'em and they're ready to load. They're not glass smooth but they'll work. PCed some 9mm with Smoke's Jet Black and had thin spots as well so coated them again, too. Sized them in my Lyman 450 and they're ready to load. Gor about 500 boolits ready to go my first day of powder coating. Just need to get the powder to BBs to boolits ratio refined and maybe pick them up with hemastats instead of nitrile gloves. Overall I'm happy with the first try and I know it will get better.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Vendor Sponsor

David2011.. thin spots shake HARDER. Don't be afraid of damaging the bullets you will not.
    First coat will have too much powder on them. Will have to get some powder off the bullets . Either by tapping hemos on container lip to knock powder off or use the paper plates with holes like a colander to separate bullets from bbs and powder. This will also remove the extra powder on the bullets
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Smoke,

Thanks for the tip. I might have to upgrade to heavier duty containers. The bottom of one Takeaway split on the first use but it might have had a defect from the start. Overall I was not disappointed. I'll pick up some HF large hemostats; finding that the nitrile gloves are a pain and a good way to spread powder coat onto everything.

First test, one coat only. Thin spots don't show in the photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First test Carolina Blue IMG_1743.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	203260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First test Carolina Blue Close Up IMG_1744.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	203261

Used up all of my unlubed boolits yesterday; will have to cast more to continue testing.
    Last edited by David2011; 09-03-2017 at 12:04 PM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I love smokes Carolina blue. Very easy to use

This thread is great! Just starting in the world of PC and this has been so helpful! Thanks to all contributors!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Smoke,

Thanks for the tip. I might have to upgrade to heavier duty containers. The bottom of one Takeaway split on the first use but it might have had a defect from the start. Overall I was not disappointed. I'll pick up some HF large hemostats; finding that the nitrile gloves are a pain and a good way to spread powder coat onto everything.

First test, one coat only. Thin spots don't show in the photos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First test Carolina Blue IMG_1743.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	203260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First test Carolina Blue Close Up IMG_1744.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	203261

Used up all of my unlubed boolits yesterday; will have to cast more to continue testing.
    just remember: even if you have thin spots of color the PC will still be there and protecting the bullet surface.

As for rough or lumpy coating: the barrel does as great job of smoothing everything out as the bullets travel through it
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    I love these containers, they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Last edited by Grmps; 09-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have some questions on the concept of powder coating. I take it that you tumble coat the bullets after they cool coming out of the molds? Not coating them with any lube? I get the concept of putting airsoft BBs in the tumbling pan with the bullets and powder. Am I on the right track?? Also I have several boxes of bullets I bought from Missouri Bullet several years ago that where supposed to be BHN 12 and turned out to be over BHN 22. I called them and they sent me free replacements and told me to keep the other ones. I thought I would some time get around to melt them down and recast them with some added pure lead to get the proper hardness. However hasn't happened. Question: If I powder coated them as is it wouldn't work because of the lube on them, right?? They are .44 & .45 Colt.

Thanks, Grampie not Grumpie,

They have to be clean.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Truck. I'll just melt them down into ingots and recast them later - someday! :>)

You can melt off the lube in a pan then wash in acetone or denatured alcohol to get them clean. I have done it with little or no issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampie not Grumpie View Post
    I have some questions on the concept of powder coating. I take it that you tumble coat the bullets after they cool coming out of the molds? Not coating them with any lube? I get the concept of putting airsoft BBs in the tumbling pan with the bullets and powder. Am I on the right track?? Also I have several boxes of bullets I bought from Missouri Bullet several years ago that where supposed to be BHN 12 and turned out to be over BHN 22. I called them and they sent me free replacements and told me to keep the other ones. I thought I would some time get around to melt them down and recast them with some added pure lead to get the proper hardness. However hasn't happened. Question: If I powder coated them as is it wouldn't work because of the lube on them, right?? They are .44 & .45 Colt.

Thanks, Grampie not Grumpie,
    This is how I like to do it and have had good success

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ange-PC-method

Buying your powder & BB's from smoke VS is the safest way to get started.

no more sticky lube, gumming up dies, drying and falling out AND you don't keep touching lead (if you are concerned)

Boolit Mold
    I got Smoke's sample pack of PC. Here's my process:

Put in No. 5 plastic with PC and 4, 1 sq in coupons of anticling sheets, swirl around, pour out into tray made of 1/4" wire cloth that's in a large AL pan to catch excess, use tweezers to stand upright (easy because these were .45 200 gr SWC), bake 20" @ 400 F.

I don't know about the anticling sheets - counterintuitive to me. Only problem is I need more PC to stick to each piece. Everyone raves about how airsoft BBs are the cat's meow, but I refuse to pick them out with tweezers or anything else. Sheesh!

Those BBs are 6 mm nominal, i.e., 0.24 in. My wire cloth is nominal 0.25, center-on-center. In other words, the BBs would not fall through. Any ideas?

Boolit Buddy
    smoke! send me info on how to buy some more powder for coating bullets. I would like either the green or blue(thats what I got last time and they worked great. ) I need an address or something.
    Pat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pakmc View Post
    smoke! send me info on how to buy some more powder for coating bullets. I would like either the green or blue(thats what I got last time and they worked great. ) I need an address or something.
    Pat
    you can reach smoke here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...-4320-s-Corner

Boolit Man
    Has anyone tried to coat jacketed bullets?
    Will the powder coating stick?
    Just wondering

Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast