Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Boolit Bub
    So, I’ve been lurking on this thread for a long time and bought some HF red and HF yellow about a year ago, but never gave it a try, until today. I tossed some Airsoft BB’s into two #5 Ziplock screw-lid containers, added about a table spoon of red to one, and a tablespoon of yellow to the other. The red container got about 100 Ideal 358495 button nose wad cutters and the yellow got about the same number of RCBS 38-158-RN. Then they got a pretty aggressive shaking. The red was fairly easy to get good coverage, but I had to work a bit more on the yellow, and, while I won’t call yellow a failure, the coverage is VERY thin. They were baked for about 20 min in a convection toaster oven at 400F. I think the yellow ones are shootable. The red covered very well and I am sure are shootable.

This was fun, and I won’t wait a year for the next batch. Thank you to everyone for the pages and pages of test reports, tips, etc. Much appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	187411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	187412

Ok I just read the whole thing page 1 to 40. I have gathered my supplies now I need bullets whoops BOOLITS.
    The weather here has been bad. If it's not snowing, blowing, raining and cold it's? well there hasn't been any thing else.
    Tomorrow is too be cold but no wind rain or snow. Maybe I'll get some casting done.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Just adding a video of a slide show I put together, and PC'd my first bullets (.357 mag)
    Also a lurker here for over a year, finally got my butt in gear! Thanks to this community for great advice!

These 405 grain FS .45-70 bullets (for use in low pressure smokeless loads) turned out beautiful! If I do say so myself!

Last edited by Big Mak; 02-13-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Boolit Master

They are beautiful. What powder did you use? Thanks
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Me? Powder by the Pound.

Boolit Master

Thanks Big Mac. Do you remember what color blue that is. I really want to duplicate those boolits.

You bet Doc. It is [SK17821] RAL 5005 Signal Blue @ $16.35/lb

Boolit Master

Thank you Big Mak. I have ordered it. Can't wait to try it. I also appreciate your video. It's been a couple of years since I powder coated an enormous amount of bullets. My stash is getting low and I need to coat some more. The advances that have been made since that time are astounding.

Boolit Mold
    When you guys say a #5 container, what are you referring to (#5) ? And does it have to be round or can it be a little semi round (no corners) ? I've been looking on the web to find a source for screw on lid containers without very much luck. Anyone have one they really love ? I bought some cheepies from wally world and they were so thin that they cracked (not a good thing) So most container information is in # so is that what the #5 stands for (a 5 pound container ?
    Last edited by TommizGunz; 02-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TommizGunz View Post
    When you guys say a #5 container, what are you referring to (#5) ? And does it have to be round or can it be a little semi round (no corners) ? I've been looking on the web to find a source for screw on lid containers without very much luck. Anyone have one they really love ? I bought some cheepies from wally world and they were so thin that they cracked (not a good thing) So most container information is in # so is that what the #5 stands for (a 5 pound container ?
    It's the 5 in the symbol to recycle on the bottom of the container. I don't use screw on lids as I thought they were to brittle. Mine are Zip Lock round with rounded slightly rounded bottom and I use black air soft BBs. That container has been good for 2 years and a few thousand bullets of all sizes. Oh it's one of the cheap blue ones for 3 or 4 to a bundle for about 2 buck at Walmart.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    Thankx for the info...I'll look again next time I'm at Wallyworld. I bought a large jar of airsoft pellets (BB's) today. Did'nt really need that much but thats all they had (no small packs) Oh well,
    maybe I should have bought a Air soft gun also.

Banned
    Target has a fairly heavy duty round container with 4 snap locks on a lid that has a seal

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    Two questions. How to bake .223??? Sooo tiny. Can't see standing them up. Also. I have a pair of "c" clip pliers that have different angle nose tips. A whole set of them. They are also sping closed so the pressure while picking up the bullets is perfect. Just sqeeze the to open and release and place the bullet on the tray. Sqeeze to release. Works great.

Banned
    with 223's, I coat as usual then dump into a colander and shake off all the extra powder. (if you see a bare spot just sprinkle a little powder on it then shake off the excess. then I dump them onto a fin mesh hardware cloth/ basket, shake a little to separate and bake as per instructions.

OK!!! A dumb question, that has probably been covered!!! What the h&$l is a #5 container?
    Answers and insults welcome. memtb

Banned

Look for recycling designation
    Usually on bottom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	977 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	193662

Orange county and a cabin in the mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by memtb View Post
    OK!!! A dumb question, that has probably been covered!!! What the h&$l is a #5 container?
    Answers and insults welcome. memtb
    if people laugh at you for asking dumb questions the i guess I'm going to be entertaining folks for a while.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by natty bumpo View Post
    Two questions. How to bake .223??? Sooo tiny. Can't see standing them up. Also. I have a pair of "c" clip pliers that have different angle nose tips. A whole set of them. They are also sping closed so the pressure while picking up the bullets is perfect. Just sqeeze the to open and release and place the bullet on the tray. Sqeeze to release. Works great.
    Somewhere in this section was a post about using silicone baking mats with a hexagonal pattern on them. I purchased a 4 pack of square ones, .224 boolits fit the hex holes perfectly and are very easy to stand up using them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones I got ^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    with 223's, I coat as usual then dump into a colander and shake off all the extra powder. (if you see a bare spot just sprinkle a little powder on it then shake off the excess. then I dump them onto a fin mesh hardware cloth/ basket, shake a little to separate and bake as per instructions.
    Doesn't the powder coat bind the boolit to the hardware cloth?

Banned
    Some powders will "stick slightly to the wire or each other but with a couple light taps they seperate easilly. You need to shake off all the excess powder before baking. I like to do this in a colander then dumping the bullets on the hardware cloth or wire mesh organizer bin like https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Cabine...e+mesh+baskets

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast