Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: a trick for tumble powder coating

Popper Hanleyfan is the one. There seems to be some debate but the rubber maid takeaways are all polypropylene and work great with this method for me. I have one for each color.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I think any #5 will work..... I used a butter tub that had a "5" on the bottom and it did the same thing.

'Too early to start screaming "STICKY!!!!!"?? (ducks and runs)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned

Ebner Glocken made an advance that has been advanced/perfected by Hanleyfan. Got the GoldenBall black BBs on the way and just got the RAL 6002 PC. Timing on this could not have been better for me. The great thinking, innovation, and hard work by all concerned is really appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Anybody try this with a non #5 container? Or find a shallow wide mouth screw on #5? I got the last black at my WW, NOT cheap (1/2 the HF sprayer cost). Cottage cheese (med size, #5) about 1/2 full of ASBB (new acronym?) and 21 165 gr 30 cal. 4eaping teaspoons of powder. Worked perfectly, although I haven't cooked yet. Probably could double the boolit load. These were cast 3 mo. ago, uncleaned, unsized. Can't imagine trying to shake a tub of real BBs & boolits. Who gets the diamond boolit award for this one? Hanleyfan?
    Screw-on would be nice! All the screw top containers I have looked at are not polypro. It tends to be softer and may not take well to cast threads and a lid screwing onto the mouth. I'm not a packaging engineer, so your guess is as good as mine.

We all should keep on the lookout for food storage or other containers that have screw lids. All the ones I have are #6 HDPE high density polyethylene (like our black powder jugs) that CAN take threads due to it's rigidity. Most white medicine bottles are that, but are way too small for what we do. I have one that has Sam's Club coffee creamer in it, but it is very deep and not that big around. I most definitely would have to be a "dumper"!

All ideas are welcome. We know what works and what does not. Now let's find some more that do (with screw tops!).

Most people in the grocery stores read the nutrition labels.....we read the recycle symbols on the bottom!!!!!!!!

banger

Banned

There are a couple three useful round sizes of the Rubbermaid TakeAlongs and per Rubbermaid:

"The TakeAlong product line is BPA free as they are made of #5 Polypropylene plastic."

Not a fan of the CoolWhip so I will start with the ""Round" or "Serving Bowl" size. Lot of options
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/p...tId=TakeAlongs

Boolit Grand Master
    Just scrounged thru my wife's container storage cupboard (while she was at a Sunday school meeting!) and found a 15oz ZipLock round screw-on clear #5 container.

covered the bottom with black bb's, added about 1tsp of RED and about 25 45cal boolits and started the shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop.

30 seconds of hard swirl and 30 seconds of hard up & down and ........99% coating! I checked after the swirl and the coating was just not quite there. But the up and down hard shake does it!

I watched with the lid off as I swirled a couple of them and can see the action of the plastic black bb's. They surround the lead, carry the powder all around, and prevent impact divots. I would not think metal bb's would work for this as they are hard. With moly....the idea is to literally pound the moly into surface of the lead. No static needed there. These black plastics work very well. As I listed above, I tried all the hardnesses and the black (hardest) seems to work the best. Must be the kind of plastic.

I believe they make bigger ZipLock ones. The small size is nice for small batches of a certain color and to experiment around with.

So if you do not want to eat coolwhip, you can BUY commercial containers with screw-on lids that seem to work just fine. I do not have any Rubbermaid products to test.

But I believe round works the best from what I have seen.

But test for yourself. After all......SOME on here say they do not trust my track record!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    WalMart has serving bowls and tupperware bowls with snap on lids In #5 all sizes. Got 4 deep soup bowls for less than $2.00 and 3 large bowls for about the same. Look in houseware.

Banned

If it is round and # 5 it should work, so I am adding Zip Lock to the list. Screw-on lids make sense. Not essential, but make sense.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just tried the HF matte black with the bb's hoping for success.........no good. 85% of the lead was showing. Some may want to do 2,3,4 or more coats and bakes, but it is just not worth the time to me. I just break out the old trusty ESPC gun and spray a bunch of "black ninja" boolits! Matte black is just cooooool. I have a shiny black and they just do not look as cool. Who gives a poo about "barrel abrasion" when it has not been proven one bit.

The matte material in the powder just makes the powder feel and look different. And keeps for "static clinging" to the boolits in our "scientific boolit processing containers" ....SBPC!

banger

Has anyone tried rubbing the cool whip container on a piece of carpet to increase the static charge? Just wondering if that might have an effect...
    Similar to the balloon on your hair makin it stick?
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Mold
    I just did some in HF black and it did take 2 coats but the results are worth it to me since I don't have access to air compressor or want to assume the cost of the Harbor Freight PC gun right now (even as inexpensive as it is)
    I didn't have black airsoft BB's but tried some heavy white ones. They seemed to work fine.
    The first coat didn't cover very well but seemed to add just enough material to make the next tumble in powder coat adhere perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A15E4D4E-FB62-4EC4-997D-E1771CDA68FA_zpsdk7dl5yn.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	104077

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDEFBE01-B85D-491E-B094-A54F69018246_zpskpshsihh.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	104081

My first try at PC, Turned out excellent using HF red and shake and bake with black pellets!

Boolit Grand Master

I found these neat little fishing forceps at WallyWorld today for $3.74, and with some expert machining using a 9" bastard file and the last few gasps of propane, I fashioned this.

I am thinking that the very small dots of powder that it disturbs while boolit-picking will flow over when it melts and cures and make way cleaner-looking boolits than using the flat side of the needlenose.
    I may tweak it just a little bit when I get another bottle of gas, but I'm really happy with it, as is.

And.... looks like you got it down, Jimbo1950! Good lookin' boolits!

T71 use more powder. Nice to know the white works, plenty of them at WW. Shake up & down. As Banger said, swirling doesn't do too good, soft bouncing does great. Going to try a 1/2 size shackley screw top #2 jug with the ASBBs to see if that works. Snap on lids are fine till they break.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    The bowls I got have snap on lids which is OK if you put both thumbs over the top to lock it on or you will have a bunch of little red spots on the floor from the bb's. My reloading shack floor does look kinda cool though.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kfarm View Post
    The bowls I got have snap on lids which is OK if you put both thumbs over the top to lock it on or you will have a bunch of little red spots on the floor from the bb's. My reloading shack floor does look kinda cool though.
    I had already thought about adding a 2" roll of masking tape to my equipment stash.
    It's gonna happen, sooner or later..... I'll be playing 1000BB pickup!

GREAT THREAD!! Very informative ---

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Remember Moly Coating bullets? This is the same method (BBs and tumbling) I'd seen for moly coating jacketed bullets...
    Yes, I do moly coating also. Between moly coating and walking by a ball tube mill 1000s of times an inspiration hit. I don't doubt the plastic bbs work but you need a harder material to pound the plastic powder into the surface of the lead. Five to seven minutes is plenty, it adds about .007" to dia. which is .0035 in thickens. When you pull them out of the container you can actually handle them quite rough and not loose much if any of the coat before the oven. In my video I used the WRONG type of plastic, the hardest color from HF to get to stick was intentional. The waste was quite minimal. The video was actually a first try. I had no idea it would work but it did. Since the video I have done several 100s of .45s w/o adding any more powder than you see me add in the video. So far these have been pushed to over 2400 FPS w/o any problems. More testing is needed but I think I'm really on to something. One coat does it.

So far it has been tested in a .303 brit, .500 JRH, and .50 AE desert eagle. All with excellent results....so far. After firing numerous rounds the gas piston in the eagle was clean, not what you get with cast normally. I have a dan wesson .44 that is ported that will also be used as a test bed, most of you are aware of the porting design, ....not for cast.

As of this day I am really excited about the future of this. The potential is something to be proud of. I thank all of you for being a part of this.

Ebner

Boolit Grand Master
    Definitely a game changer.

Cheap, no mixing, no drying, little bench space needed.

Good work gentlemen

Don Verna

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Great now you guys find a way to get nice coats without a gun after I bought one.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast