WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HI-TEK do's and don'ts

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day All.

16. when cool. take 1 bullet. lay it in it's side on a steel base and smash it with a hammer. the coating should not flake off.
    17. Take another bullet and get some acetone on a white cloth and wipe the coated bullet for 30 seconds and see if the colour comes off. if it does. place back into oven and bake for another 5 minutes. ( I have found 12 minutes per bake is enough).

19. when 2nd coat has cooled and has tested OK, Size and shoot.
    Do you do both tests on each coating for every batch?
    What do you do with the wiped/smashed boolits? Back in the melting pot, or into the dross collection for recycling?

Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ork View Post
    Do you do both tests on each coating for every batch?
    What do you do with the wiped/smashed boolits? Back in the melting pot, or into the dross collection for recycling?

Thanks.
    Yes I test both coats. Just for my own peace of mind, is it necessary?? I will leave that one to Joe and Trev.
    All my testers go back into the pot, just skim off the coating as it rises.

Boolit Master
    When starting out, test everything. Take notes of everything. Once you are sure you have your process 100% down, then you can reduce your testing to only every other tray.
    I now only test 2 bullets per 1000. I use the same coating and process.
    However, when testing new coatings, I will test every tray.

The tested bullets get remelted.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

When starting out, test everything. Take notes of everything. Once you are sure you have your process 100% down, then you can reduce your testing to only every other tray.
    I now only test 2 bullets per 1000. I use the same coating and process.
    However, when testing new coatings, I will test every tray.

The tested bullets get remelted.

TO USERS OR POTENTIAL USERS OF Hi-Tek Powdered or solvent versions.

Just want to advise, that I have had a few, that had tried to use solvents that were not pure Acetone or not pure MEK. (Industrial solvents)

Please do not use Nail polish type Acetone, (Nitro Thinner) or any other mixed solvent blends, unless you know actual composition of solvent mixture, and had pre-tested, to ensure it actually is suitable.

A lot of these solvent mixtures will not dry adequately or contain oily type additives, and at worst, will not be compatible with HI-TEK resin system.

I am aware that many had contacted me and had failure after failure.
    Only after many frustrating attempts to try and help, it was learnt that solvent used was not satisfactory and was mainly the causes of failures, aside from rushing the drying process.

Acetone or MEK can be obtained from most hardware stores.

Alternatively, you can approach Fiberglass tank or pool makers, as they use such solvents in large volumes.
    They may sell you some from their bulk drums.

Also, if you try and coat over waxed or other lubed cast projectiles, don't even start.
    It simply wont work, and you will simply be wasting materials and time.

Coatings made from powdered version and solvent version will not stick to the alloys that have been previously lubed with such materials.
    Coatings has to be made onto fresh cast alloys, without using of any release agents or lubes or waxes.

Hope this information helps.

Boolit Master
    Ensure you are using good quality acetone. The cheap stuff or nail polish remover will not work and you will get coating failure.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    If you do not like it, do not use it. Simple.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, use it or don't, I don't care but such negativity- why?

I don't view this coating as the end all be all but I do view it as having a place on my loading bench. It fills a niche for me, that is all I care.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Tes,

If you did not like the product, so be it, SO DON'T USE IT.

I object to you calling the products "Junk" and in a public disclosure.

It is requested, that you further refrain from such remarks and place a retraction of your malicious remarks without delay.

I do not think that any one would be interested in supplying you "Freebies", so you can then
    knock & criticize the products they supply you.
    Last edited by Mooseman; 07-25-2014 at 12:44 AM. Reason: removing offensive post quoted.

Tes I found you post to be overtly confrontational and boarder line slanderous so had it actioned on.. Take your nastiness elsewhere.. and have a nice day..
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    I got a new oven. It is the same brand and size as my old oven.
    I fire it up with the same temp setting on the dial and away I went. At the 5 minute mark the bullets were black!!!
    Pulled them out and placed the probe for the digi thermometer in and bugger me. the dial said 200 Deg C. that actual temp was 260Deg C!!!!
    So.. lesson learnt. Always check. never assume.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I started using the powder coating a couple weeks ago. It works great for me.

It took a little time to figure out how much solution and things.

I followed the directions. I added more mixed solution (suspension?) than it said but the bullets came out great.

Using an old convection toaster oven with no problems. I set the timer for 12 minutes after its preheated. Bullets look great so far.

I tried standing the bullets up on foil or parchment. My hands will not comply. I just dump em on parchment being careful NOT to let them roll on the paper because it removes the wet coating. Once dry I toss em in the oven. I can't tell they were not all in a neat little row like soldiers.

I am getting 1825 fps out of my 308 with Bayou 115 gr 30 cal bullet. 1 1/8" @ 50 and 3.5" @ 100 yards. This is what got me started. I have plenty of unsized unlubed lead bullets to work with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4331-XL.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	114225

Boolit Master
    Maybe I´m getting something wrong, but the current mixture is 1 part powder to 5 parts acetone, correct?

And this 1:5 is for both powders, the "metallic" (copper and so on) and the non-metallic, right?

Boolit Master
    no... it is 20gms of powder to 100Mls of acetone.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I use a wall oven ex-house. it had a Grill in it as well, a few weeks ago I tore the whole thing to pieces. Removed the grill element (don't make toast while coating) Then fitted the element in the bottom of the oven.
    My clay pavers fit perfectly in between the "S"'s of the element (bonus me thinks).
    Wired it to a PID and SSR... This oven now is brilliant for coating... 500% improvement in heat recovery times and never varies more than 2 degrees +/- of the target temp. pics available if required.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    no... it is 20gms of powder to 100Mls of acetone.
    Well, yes, that´s what I´ve meant with 1:5.

Maybe you should change your first post here (I mean the 5-1-7)?
    Last edited by jayjay1; 09-07-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    First post was for liquid coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I am still waiting on my class 6 FFL before I buy machines and open up shop.
    I know US distributors for liquid coating are Bayou and Gateway, but who is distributing the powder? I think I want to try both to test out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ork View Post
    I am still waiting on my class 6 FFL before I buy machines and open up shop.
    I know US distributors for liquid coating are Bayou and Gateway, but who is distributing the powder? I think I want to try both to test out.

Gateway has powdered versions in stock as well. Bayou will have some powdered versions in near future.

Boolit Master

Please remember everyone,
    There are TWO HI-TEK formula version out there presently.

1) The ORIGINAL "WET MIX" (mixing ratios were 5 COLOR, 1 CATALYST, and YOUR CHOICE,
    OF ACETONE AMOUNTS FROM 5 TO 7 PARTS, that you added to the 5Color/1Cataylst Mix).

2) THE "NEW" DRY MIX H-TEK, which you MIX 20 GRAMS of POWDER (I use my digital powder scale)
    to 100 ml of ACETONE, I mix in a small Coka-Cola plastic bottle.

THE DRY MIX is easier to mix up.

Thanks to HI TEK Joe, Ausglock, Love Life, I just LOVE this stuff and
    my handguns no longer see WAXY or ALOX TYPE LUBES.

NOTE TO Self Coaters, GATEWAY BULLETS CURRENTLY HAS THE DRY POWDER IN STOCK,

and Soon BAYOU BULLETS will have too.

People wanting to try the HI-TEK coated projectiles without COATING THEMSELVES should
    contact the following as they also sell the finished coated projectiles ready to load.

Gateway Bullets, Bayou Bullets, SNS Casting, BBI, Missouri Bullets, LNL Casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, please remember that with the "wet" method, the second catalyst utilizes one of 2 types, i.e., "
    regular" OR "call it what yup may, I call it # 2 super catalyst". They are different ! The super does increase the hardness of the coating. lke it for .44 mag, .45LC (modern), all rifle.

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast