WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: HI-TEK do's and don'ts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    You are reading aggression in where there is none. You are thinking the worst here. I am not offering technical advice. I am offering business advice. Please call my cell. Sent to IM.
    Thank you for reply.
    I am not the only one who had arrived at similar observations with regards your posts, and others made comments, questioning, why you had made certain comments, and these observations and concerns were supplied directly to me via PM messages.

I had looked at your PM, and offer made, for me to make contact with you on your mobile.
    Thanks for that opportunity.
    At this stage, I would prefer if you made contact with your supplier, ( I have to assume at this stage it is Hiperformancebulletcoatings LLC) and discuss your concerns and provide business advice.
    If there are any business related matters that are required to be further discussed with me afterwards, the agent will pass on details.
    I would be happy to consider and investigate any constructive advice.
    Thanks & regards

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone for the technical advice. I apologize if anyone thinks I was out of line with my recommendations and criticism. That was never my intention.

I should point out that I have not once criticized the product itself (only the instructions). I have used HiTek bullets for many years (MBC’s). I was hoping to coat my own bullets as I am tired of the powder coating process which I have been using for years. Just sick of placing bullets upright only to watch them all fall over as I place in oven... sigh.

I will try HiTek powder again when I have time.

Boolit Master
    No worries..
    Warm them up prior to baking and I feel you will be good to go.
    I have only ever used the 20gms to 100mls Acetone mix.
    I have baked millions with no problem with this mix.
    And I only do 2 coats for rifle and pistol bullets..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

I will try HiTek powder again when I have time.
    I note, you did not mention, that you have orders in place for delivery this week.
    It seems, you may have found time to coat with Hi-Tek.
    I hope that your order arrives to you promptly. Our US agent will try and make contact with you to determine what further assistance you require.

Boolit Buddy
    Ordered a different color based on recommendations earlier in this thread about it being able to be pushed faster and I hoped to use for magnum and rifle rounds. Ironically, I purchased it right after I thought the smash test passed on the first coat with black.

I actually debated cancelling but couldn’t call them to cancel. Since you are obviously in contact with them, please cancel it. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I note, you did not mention, that you have orders in place for delivery this week.
    It seems, you may have found time to coat with Hi-Tek.
    I hope that your order arrives to you promptly. Our US agent will try and make contact with you to determine what further assistance you require.

Boolit Master
    Since you are obviously in contact with them, please cancel it. Thx.

Ummm... might be a tad difficult for him, Champ... Seeing that he doesn't know your name or where you are located.
    I'd suggest contacting the US re-seller yourself...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Ummm... might be a tad difficult for him, Champ... Seeing that he doesn't know your name or where you are located.
    I'd suggest contacting the US re-seller yourself...
    Of course he does. How else did he know I had an order submitted?

Boolit Master

Ordered a different color based on recommendations earlier in this thread about it being able to be pushed faster and I hoped to use for magnum and rifle rounds. Ironically, I purchased it right after I thought the smash test passed on the first coat with black.

I actually debated cancelling but couldn’t call them to cancel. Since you are obviously in contact with them, please cancel it. Thx.
    We are in very close communications with the US and other agents.
    Any matters that is requiring confirmation/checking, is shared and exchanged. This allows us to check on credibility or bona fide intentions.
    I did not order any product from US agent, I have no legal ability to cancel an order placed by someone else. Unfortunately you will have to cancel your order your self.
    You will have to communicate with US agent during business hours.

I’m fairly new to this forum and have received excellent advice from friendly members. All the threads I have read seem to follow in the same friendly vein, except this one. Surely this forum is not the place “to wash your dirty linen in public” ?
    I’m having some issues with applying Hi Tek, but the issues are with me, my fault for not reading the directions supplied with the product carefully enough. Hi Tek is clearly a excellent material for coating boolits and fun to apply and use as is casting my own boolits.
    I’m following the advice to measure the temperature of the boolits with a thermometer that has a probe and can be read whilst the boolits are “baking” I found a oven thermometer that fits the bill that I already had. My coating improved instantly I started using it. Now to resize and load a few to test!
    Thanks Hi Tek
    Bazza

Boolit Master
    Bazz.
    The main issues seems to be that people "think" they can cut corners and get good results.
    You can't! Even after 6 or so years of using HITEK, I still firmly stick with the coating mix ratios and baking procedure.

You find the people having issues and whinging about the coating not working, are not listening to the advise being offered.

I run a commercial Bullet making business here is OZ. I only give input here to try and assist fellow casters to coat their bullets.
    If they choose to ignore the advice, So be it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I can confirm this finding as well. I sometimes end up with conditions that aren’t ideal and I’ve also cut corners to make measuring easier and I’ve found that sticking closely to instructions is the only way to get best results.
    I love this product. I’m in awe of how well it works every time I see it. It’s really unbelievable stuff.

Does anyone know if it exists in some other industry used on small parts maybe?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I can confirm this finding as well. I sometimes end up with conditions that aren’t ideal and I’ve also cut corners to make measuring easier and I’ve found that sticking closely to instructions is the only way to get best results.
    I love this product. I’m in awe of how well it works every time I see it. It’s really unbelievable stuff.

Does anyone know if it exists in some other industry used on small parts maybe?
    DrewP
    Thanks for compliment.
    There is an old saying, "if all else fails, read instructions".....
    In fact, now that you mention it, I developed the coating initially for mines. I designed a product, that sealed metal, lubricate and to protect from corrosion, but the coating must remain electrically conductive to prevent electrostatic build up. I used to coat parts and bake them. I realised, that because of the tough property it would also work with ammunition. I had to re-formulate to make sure that coating bonded well to Lead and alloys, without etch primers etc etc. That is when my attention was also heightened, as a well known cast ammo manufacturer here, must have had simultaneously an ESP moment, as they contacted me for a coating for their cast. That was 27-28 years ago. The rest is history.
    Now I have been very busy with developing a conductivity improver for oils. I don't believe there is product out there that actually is soluble and compatible with oils, and provides stable conductivity reduction. Many industrial applications have major problems with huge high voltage static discharges that destroys equipment.
    I have developed and had tested an additive, that seems to work, and is compatible with oils used in these problematic areas. It is also designed to get rid of bugs in water ullage interface. (I am thinking that it also may be useful to stop bug growth in stored Diesel where moisture can condense at bottom, and grow bugs that block pumps and filters. Now, marketing is next step.

Boolit Master
    I think Fuel Doctor beat you to it. I love the stuff. Use it for the ute, Ride-on and push mower, Amazing stuff..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

I think Fuel Doctor beat you to it. I love the stuff. Use it for the ute, Ride-on and push mower, Amazing stuff..
    I am aware of several such products on the market. I do not know composition of Fuel doctors stuff, but I am aware that a lot use materials like Quaternium compounds as anti bacterial. They work very well as bug killers. Some also have detergent type fuel stabilisers and anti-Oxidants to stop fuel going off..
    Many contain "chlorides" and with time, these Chlorides cause major corrosion problems.
    Fortunately, my brew has no "Chlorides" and is non corrosive, anti-static and bug killer.
    Sooooo.….unique......

Boolit Master

I am aware of several such products on the market. I do not know composition of Fuel doctors stuff, but I am aware that a lot use materials like Quaternium compounds as anti bacterial. They work very well as bug killers. Some also have detergent type fuel stabilisers and anti-Oxidants to stop fuel going off..
    Many contain "chlorides" and with time, these Chlorides cause major corrosion problems.
    Fortunately, my brew has no "Chlorides" and is non corrosive, anti-static, bug killer and a dispersant to Water.
    Sooooo.….unique......
    Forgot, my additive concentrate is in food grade oil. End use is totally different to Fuel Doctors stuff.

DrewP
    Thanks for compliment.
    There is an old saying, "if all else fails, read instructions".....
    In fact, now that you mention it, I developed the coating initially for mines. I designed a product, that sealed metal, lubricate and to protect from corrosion, but the coating must remain electrically conductive to prevent electrostatic build up. I used to coat parts and bake them. I realised, that because of the tough property it would also work with ammunition. I had to re-formulate to make sure that coating bonded well to Lead and alloys, without etch primers etc etc. That is when my attention was also heightened, as a well known cast ammo manufacturer here, must have had simultaneously an ESP moment, as they contacted me for a coating for their cast. That was 27-28 years ago. The rest is history.
    Now I have been very busy with developing a conductivity improver for oils. I don't believe there is product out there that actually is soluble and compatible with oils, and provides stable conductivity reduction. Many industrial applications have major problems with huge high voltage static discharges that destroys equipment.
    I have developed and had tested an additive, that seems to work, and is compatible with oils used in these problematic areas. It is also designed to get rid of bugs in water ullage interface. (I am thinking that it also may be useful to stop bug growth in stored Diesel where moisture can condense at bottom, and grow bugs that block pumps and filters. Now, marketing is next step.
    Ah interesting! I had a feeling it may have spawned from somewhere else, as most things do. What your other application doesn’t explain is what I find most fascinating about this application which is that coated bullets don’t stick together during curing. Somehow you’ve made a coating that bonds to metal it’s applied to but not to itself in other neighboring parts. THAT is the amazing trick. At least to my non chemist brain!

Boolit Master
    No worries..
    Warm them up prior to baking and I feel you will be good to go.
    I have only ever used the 20gms to 100mls Acetone mix.
    I have baked millions with no problem with this mix.
    And I only do 2 coats for rifle and pistol bullets..
    What's your warm up temp? I assume you use your bake oven?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    What's your warm up temp? I assume you use your bake oven?
    this is how I pre-warm my bullets now... But you can place them on top of the smaller ovens to warm up..

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    You make some nice bullets there Ausglock, My trays are made of the same type material but Mine are not stainless steel. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    When a tray of bullets is 120 deg F to 140 deg F they are almost too hot to hold your hand on them, 10 to 15 min at these temps dry's the coating for baking.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast