WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HI-TEK do's and don'ts

Boolit Master

HI-TEK do's and don'ts

G'day All.
    HI-TEK JOE has asked me to start a new thread for the do's and don'ts of using the liquid coating and soon the new DRY-TEK Powders.

The old HI-TEK thread started by Gunoil as grown to the level where people looking for tips & tricks can't find the info they need, due to the enormous size of the thread.
    We have all come a long way since Gunoil started that thread. we have all learnt from each other and shared our findings, both good and bad.

So. Gunoil. I hope you don't think I'm trying to step on your toes by starting this thread.

But if it is kept to just tips and tricks without the waffleing on ( Yes I am a waffler), it should be easy for poeple to find the info they need.

Using these coatings is fairly straight forward. There are a huge number of people using the HI-TEK Supercoat.
    I'll start it off with my instructions for using the liquid coating.

1. add 2 bullets to your colour resin and shake for a good 5 minutes.
    2. shake the catalyst.
    3. empty bottle ready. Add 5 parts colour immediately...IMMEDIATELY... after shaking.
    4. Add 7 parts Acetone and then the 1 part catalyst.
    5. Put lid on the mixture and shake the schit out of it for 5 minutes. I use 250ml juice bottles with pop-tops on them. easy to add coating to the bullets.
    6. Add about 200 bullets( about 2Kgs) to the plastic bucket. lid is NOT needed.
    7. Shake the 5-1-7-mix and Immediately add a 1 second dribble to the bucket of bullets. Replace mixture lid Immediately.
    8. Shake the bucket of bullets and coating. Remember... you have to have the bullets and coating mixing around just like a cement mixer does. The bottom of the bucket should be wet with coating.
    9. Keep shaking, swirling until the rattle of the bullets changes to a dull thumping. you will hear the change really easy.
    10. dump the coated bullets onto your drying tray and shake the tray side to side until the bullets have leveled out on the tray. don't worry about them touching. it doesn't matter.
    11. If you think there isn't enough colour on the bullet, then you have the coating just right. Leave them alone for at least 10 minutes. then warm them with a hair dryer.
    12. turn on your oven and pre-heat to 200deg C.
    13. place you bullets on the baking tray and spread them around to be even on the tray and place tray in the oven.
    14. set the oven timer for 12 minutes. not 6 or 8. But a full 12 minutes.
    15. when the oven turns off, remove the tray of bullets and let them cool. do not touch them until cool.
    16. when cool. take 1 bullet. lay it in it's side on a steel base and smash it with a hammer. the coating should not flake off.
    17. Take another bullet and get some acetone on a white cloth and wipe the coated bullet for 30 seconds and see if the colour comes off. if it does. place back into oven and bake for another 5 minutes. ( I have found 12 minutes per bake is enough).
    18. When the bullets are cool, place back in the bucket and repeat steps 6 to 17.
    19. when 2nd coat has cooled and has tested OK, Size and shoot.

This is really easy to do. the biggest mistake is not shaking immediately before coating or not baking long enough or at a too low temperature.

If your coating passes the wipe test but smashes off, You have used too much coating. remember... it is a stain (thanks, Gunoil) not a paint. a little goes a long way.

OK. Now add you tips and tricks.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 02-17-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Remove naughty words that offend
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Trevor,
    Could you post a photo of your 250 ml "JUICE BOTTLES" and their "POP TOPS" please?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    250ml = 8.45 Fluid Ounces (US)
    2kg = 4.41 lbs
    200°C = 392°F (just so nobody has to look it up.)

and thanks for posting this.
    I just got my bottle of Brick Red in the mail and I'm wanting to try coating this way.
    Last edited by Beagle333; 05-04-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

After the solution is mixed, what is its shelf life in a sealed container? Is is good for a few days or just a few hours?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

Boolit Master

Vendors have reported shelf life of MIXED HI-TEK being DAYS to WEEKS.

Some keep it inside a refrigerator.

I only mix up amounts for whatever batches that I'll use up in a few days.

Love Life
    About a week is the shelf life in northern Nevada. After that the parts don't come together as well.

Another tip is to leave your oven dial alone. Once you have the correct temp, only adjust time.

Are we talking about the powdered HT yet?

Boolit Buddy
    Can you bake them to long or to hot?

I have my over set at 370* and I cook em for exactly 10 minutes. They look good and they pass the hammer test, should I increase the temp or the time or both?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
    Can you bake them to long or to hot?

I have my over set at 370* and I cook em for exactly 10 minutes. They look good and they pass the hammer test, should I increase the temp or the time or both?
    Steve 4102
    I suggest that you increase time by about 2 or 3 minutes, and dont touch temperature dial.
    Have a look at them and test with Solvent wipe, to ensure that coating does not come off.
    If you get a stain with first coat, the second coat can remove previous coat just like a paint stripper.
    If first or previous coat is baked enough to pass solvent test, subsequent coats should be OK to apply.
    The solvent test is really a good indicator, to see if coating has set enough with baking, so second or third coats dont strip offthe previous coats.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'd like to add a good heat source is essential for repeated reliability either a PID on your oven or an oven that swings less than 8 degrees is a good idea. Too many have failures for a poor heat source and no convection fan. Not always necessary as some have good results without. We are trying to ensure success though right?
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

As kweidner has stated,

GOOD HEAT SOURCE, constant and consistant, not subject to WIDE TEMP SWINGS.

Preferably a GOOD "DEDICATED" CONVECTION OVEN.

Some have SUCCESS with CHEAP OVEN, but many have constantly FAILED
    become disillusioned, and frustrated DUE TO THEIR OVENS.

PLEASE spend the money and do it RIGHT, it's only painful in the check-out line ONCE.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KYShooter73 View Post
    After the solution is mixed, what is its shelf life in a sealed container? Is is good for a few days or just a few hours?
    I don't store mine in the refrigerator unless I'm not going to coat for a few days aka, the weekend! Then I toss it in the refrigerator until the next use. But then again, I mix up at least 2 liters at a time.

I normally use a mix of 5-1-7, use 1ml per pound, and cook 400 for 9-10 minutes. But then I use 3 coats and coat 35-40 pounds at a time.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have read 7, 9, and 10 parts. With the 9 and 10, I have read that 3 coats is used ... with gas checks after the first coat, and sizing after the 3rd coat.

As I prepare to work for the first time with 6,000 rifle and 9,000 pistol bullets, I am somewhat confused.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Boolit Master
    DrBill.
    If you are using one of the metallic coatings, Mix 5.1.7 and coat twice.
    If you are using a non metallic, mix 5.1.10 and coat 3 times.
    The metallics ( Gold, red/copper) coat better.
    If you like your lube grooves coated too (which is for looks only), use 5.1.10.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you! I will follow your suggestions/instructions.

May your year be great and may you repeal your anti-firearms government ... as we must also do here!

May the Peace of God Be With You!
    and to ensure it, Keep Your Powder Dry!
    NRA Endowment Member
    Life Member 1957
    NRA Member since 1954
    NRA Training Counselor: Rifle . Pistol. Shotgun. Metallic Reloading. Shotshell Reloading, Personal Protection In the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief Range Safety Office
    DrBill33
    castmine:
    "Where is John Gault?"

Boolit Bub
    Well , I don't do any of it as precise as you write it.
    Only thing I'm really careful about is mixing it components together 5/5/1.
    I put it in mixing bucket "by eye" Shake it a bit and dump on drying tray. When dry to touch I stick it into cheap Wally World oven ($25) 8-10 min at 420 or so and when they look good ,I take them out . If not bake them bit longer , just like cookies.
    They always pass wipe and smash test. Finally got rid of leading , when I switched mold .no lube cavity mold works the best. Just a smooth boolit.
    New 135g 9mm mold from Mihec works like a charm.

I found that the 'blotchy and uneven/not there' first coat turns out to be remarkably even after baking. Also, whilst 535gr 45cal boolits baked fine in ten minutes, the 850gr 50cal boolits needed fourteen minutes with the same gold and oven temp.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    I found that the 'blotchy and uneven/not there' first coat turns out to be remarkably even after baking. Also, whilst 535gr 45cal boolits baked fine in ten minutes, the 850gr 50cal boolits needed fourteen minutes with the same gold and oven temp.
    Your findings are correct and indicative on metal loading..
    I am of the opinion that when coating in small ovens, especially if air circulation is not the best, the amount of projectiles into the oven, should be based on weight not number of projectiles.
    Then, this will provide equal "mass loading" each time, and baking time should be relatively similar each time.
    Theory is that 100 small calibre projectiles have less metal weigh as compared with 100 larger calibre projectiles that have much higher weigh of metal content.

Banned

U do a good job ausglock. keep it up.

Looks like this might be a good solution for my pure lead swaged boolits. I use anhydrous lanolin for swaging lube and if cleaned well might work for low velocity hunting and plinking loads.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast