Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: HI-TEK do's and don'ts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by landers View Post
    I have a few question about curing Hi-tek super coat powder,
    1. after letting them air dry for a while to let the acetone completely evaporate can I place them in the oven as it heats up to 400 to ensure they are dry before curing or will this cause any undesirable side effects or is it better to wait for the oven to be totally heated before I put the bullets in?

2. I found that when coating hollow point bullets it is very difficult to get the color into the hollow point, will there be any adverse effects if I increase the amount of acetone considerably to allow the Hi-tek to better flow into the hollow point? In order to get coverage into the hollow point I had to increase the mount of acetone to the mix, I then increased the amount of mix going on to the bullets to get the same amount of Hi-tek onto the bullets, since the Hi-tek powder is essentially reduced from the original recipe . I basically am applying the same amount of coating just having to tumble a little longer to allow the extra acetone to evaporate. The bullets are getting nice light coats including the inside of the hollow point.

Thanks
    Landers
    What you are doing is just fine.
    Diluting coating simply allows you to coat into all spaces with a layer of coating without need for more powder. When excess Acetone evaporates, it leaves a thin coating which will dry more quickly.
    Once thoroughly dry, then bake and repeat with the diluted mixture.
    In most instances, any surface that does not come into contact with Barrel, really does not need coating. Coating hollow point inside hole is OK, but may be of no benefit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have been letting my Hi-Tek boolits with Candy Apple Red dry in the sun for 4 hours at 130 deg F and baking them the next day in a 400deg F preheated convection oven for 12 min.
    If you don't get the first coat dry they will not pass the smash test.
    Right on.
    Drying well is most important.
    First coat only needs to act like a stain/primer, even if it looks bad. This will dry much faster, and cook well and bond well.
    Once first coat is bonded, passes smash test, you can coat again.
    If first coat fails, no point in applying second coat, as it wont fix adhesion problem of first coat.

Boolit Man
    Great thanks for the help, I will post some results as as soon as i can get off to the range.

Landers

Boolit Master
    Back to the top for new users with questions.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy

where is the best place to order this coating from
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    where is the best place to order this coating from

If you are in Texas, most probable supplier is Donnie at Hi-Performance Coatings and he is a vendor member on this site contact site
    http://hi-performancebulletcoatings....-oz-container/

Boolit Buddy

another question , should I get the powder of the liquid form
    and thanks for the answers
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmrra View Post
    another question , should I get the powder of the liquid form
    and thanks for the answers
    The liquid and powders perform the same. Depending on freight and quantity, you need to check with Donnie prices for delivery for each.

Boolit Buddy

will do , thanks for the info

Boolit Buddy
    I have never used the liquid, but the powder is really easy to use. One level tablespoon (from a set of plastic spoons at WalMart, not from silverware) to about 55-60 ml of acetone will coat over 1500 230 grain .45's with two coats and have a little left over.

Been powdercoating for a long time, just ordered some HiTek powder to try this process. Read this whole thread and Ive seen no mention of using lube after coating/baking.

Ive had great sucess with Smokes PC powder on an NOE .228" 72g rnd, but I lube with MML+ after baking. I get better more consistant results with PC and lubing in my 5.56 AR

I assume once cured, HiTek could be lubed the same way if I chose to do so with No ill affects to the coating?
    Last edited by berksglh; 12-18-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    do you mean lubing to size? or to shoot??
    HITEK make a sizing lube Aqua 5000 works great.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I pan lube powdercoated rifle bullets. So for shooting.

And when do you gas check? I assume after the first coat?

Last edited by berksglh; 12-19-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't do rifle bullets.
    But lubing after coating seems to defeat the purpose of coating in my book....
    The coating IS the lube. At least HITEK coating is.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone using hitek successfully with unknown alloy hardness?

Boolit Master
    Why? Whats wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Anyone using hitek successfully with unknown alloy hardness?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still scratching it off with me fingernail,this is using clip on wheel weights.I presume the alloy is the last thing that would cause a coating to fail?
    Last edited by marky123; 12-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Hi-Tek successfully on wheel weight and soft swaged bullets without issue.
    As long as surface contamination is not an issue, insufficient dry time is main cause of loss of adhesion.

If your applying in a cold and/or damp climate preheating the bullets to room temp (70-75 F) can help as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    I'm still scratching it off with me fingernail,this is using clip on wheel weights.I presume the alloy is the last thing that would cause a coating to fail?
    When you are applying the coating and swirling, Do not swirl too long that the coat actually dries before dumping onto your drying tray. I found this will give adhesion problems. The bullets should be still wet/ sticky when they get dumped.
    Are you sure you don't have any KIWI Pee on the bullets??? Or Lanolin from all the sheep shagging...lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    When you are applying the coating and swirling, Do not swirl too long that the coat actually dries before dumping onto your drying tray. I found this will give adhesion problems. The bullets should be still wet/ sticky when they get dumped.
    Are you sure you don't have any KIWI Pee on the bullets??? Or Lanolin from all the sheep shagging...lol
    No, but If I use Fosters as a degreaser will that work?!?I'd rather drink Hi-tek...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast