Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: in the hospital

Boolit Man

Thoughts and Prayers to you Bro!

Boolit Master

Time passes. I haven't been able to go shooting. My sons both have their own lives, and have very little time to spare. Plus, my truck broke down. Gotta fix that before I go to the range. BUT, I do have my schedule for the 'infusions'. The first one is on the 17th, takes about 90mins, plus lab time previous. Will be there most of the morning. After that is done, I have three more treatments of this chemotherapy, at three week intervals. It can't happen too soon. I'm as weak as a kitten. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. mikey

Boolit Master

Truck broke down? What broke? Who is gonna fix it?
    Thanks
    Nosey Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

The carrier bearing on the driveshaft has decided it doesn't want to turn all the time, now. My son was supposed to be helping me with it, but, he didn't show up. SO, I'll have to do it myself. I'll just have to take it a bit at a time. I can go for about 15-20min before I have to go sit down for a while. First I have to move my car, then pull the truck up into the car's spot, then back it up on my ramps, so I can get underneath. The parking spot is an incline, so I get extra clearance that way. A friend of mine salvaged a driveshaft with bearing from a wreck he had sitting on his property, before the town made him get rid of those 'spare parts'. I am hoping it will be the same as mine. His shaft is from the same make, but a year later. I hope! I hope! I hope! Would sure make it simpler if it is the same. I've noticed something odd about my system. I can't eat very much at one sitting, anymore, and I can't eat very fast. But, about 3 hours later, I am famished, and my tummy hurts. And, if I don't eat, I get really shaky inside. So, I guess I need to eat about 6 times a day, just not very much at any one time. That is something of a bother. But, I feel better and have more energy when I do, so, I'll just have to make a new routine. Plus, my system used to love meat, but, now it seems to prefer veggies, and fruits. I bought a 1/2 rack of beef ribs today, and brought them home, but could only eat two of the 8. And then I was stuffed. Live continues on, but with lots of changes. I just have to adapt. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. mikey

Boolit Grand Master

Mikey, check with your doc about what this treatment is doing to your body's digestion/absorption system and energy utilization. You may need to shift your diet more to the carbs if it is utilizing a lot of your body's energy. That seems to be what your body is telling you, but I'd want to check it with the experts.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

Mike, brother, thoughts and prayers go out to you.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the info on the truck.
    Sounds like some progress on what to do on the truck.
    Anyone else there with mechanical skills/strength to assist?
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

I wish i was closer Mike it would be done fort you. You have enough on your plate. Wish i still knew some close to you. Praying for you brother.

Andy

Boolit Master

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. this past tuesday, I was due to start my first chemo-therapy treatment, only when i got there I was way too sick to take the treatment. The Oncologist sent me to the ER, and from there was admitted to the hospital for observation and treatment. They weren't sure what was causing my extreme pain and shortness of breath, except that it might be my enlarged spleen and liver pressing up on the bottom of my lung. By Wednesday evening, I was improved enough for the Oncologist to suggest that I take the Chemo the next morning (Thurs), to which I agreed. This chemo is designed to turn on the immune system and keep it on while the chemicals remain in the body. So, they came and got me Thursday morning and took me to the Oncology Clinic, and gave me the treatment. I slept through most of it, and the Nurses kept waking me up to make sure I was still alive! After the treatment, I got back to my room just before lunch, and was given a very good lunch. Supper that evening wasn't quite as good, but adequate. Throughout the day, they took blood for analysis, as well as this morning. Mid-morning today, they came by and said the blood work looked really good and that they would release me if I wanted. I did. I all I need to do is take pills and rest, I can do that at home, and not take up a bed that some other Vet might need. Once I got home, I helped my son install his new water heater. By the time we were done with that, I was whipped. I'm gonna put the remainder of my dinner in the fridge, see if that watermelon is still any good, and eat some if it is, and then take a big glass of lemon water to bed with me, and get some sleep. My little sister, a widow, is finally getting remarried tomorrow, and I want to be there. Thanks, everyone, for your prayers and support. God Bless you all.

Boolit Master
    Mikey, keep up the great attitude.
    The shaky feeling you get ("...if I don't eat, I get really shaky inside.") when you need to eat is likely low blood sugar. Starches and fruits will often continue feeding your blood sugar longer than other types of foods. One of my favorite foods for this is a big baked potato with a generous dollop of lite sour cream and about half cup of salsa piled on top. Blood sugar stays good for several hours.

We'll keep checking in on you,

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Generous Donator

mikeym1a, I can feel your concern. I have fought melanoma twice and won both times so far. They used bio-therapy on me. It was called Interferon/introl. 5 days a week in the office and the I gave my self one shot a day for a year. Not fun. Hang in there. I sure pray it gets a lot better for you. The last month of treatment I had to stay home from work as I couldn't stay awake. One week later I could stay awake 10 hours or more. Pay attention to the DR. Mark

Boolit Master

Well, found a used driveshaft for the truck. Adam, my oldest son, helped me install it. It's in a lot better shape than the one that came off it. Seemed to run alright when I drove it to town last night. Now to replace the 'new' fuel pump in my car. Just put it in 2 months ago. Sigh!. Off to the lab today for bloodwork, and to see the Dr. They are checking to make sure my white cell count is high enough. I'm having good days, and bad days. The day Isaac replaced the fuel pump strainer, and the fuel filter on the car was a good day. Took about 3 hours to do the work, and get the car running. (to no avail) But I was wiped out for the next two. This morning, I feel much better, and will probably sleep most of the way to the hospital. Gotta go. Adam will be here soon. Later, guys.

Mikey,

God Bless you and thank you for your service. As a Christian I hope to meet you some day in the awesome presence of our Lord. It is heartwarming to hear that your eldest came to help his father. I can only say that I have been in similar situations and typically I take off work because my dad is not getting any younger. How about an air rifle to keep shooting indoors? I am certain you have already thought of that, but maybe a friend from church can pick you up and take you to a range It amazes me how faith can cause us to face adversities that seem unrealistic. God bless you.
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32

In Remembrance

Hang in there brother. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so.

Boolit Master

It was a long trip. I don't use the VA hospital nearest to me, because the one in Salem, Virginia is so much better equipped. However that does mean for a simple blood test, it is a 6 hr round trip. But, it is worth it. I didn't see the Oncologist today, but I did see his Assistant. She pulled up the blood work. I am a bit anemic, but all other values, except 2, were in the normal range. Those two values were not back yet. So, I need to work on ingesting foods that will help build up my red blood count. Being a bit anemic would explain why I am so weak and lethargic. I am not really surprised by the multitude of normal values seen in this test. Over the years, I have noticed that my body reacts to drugs just the way the doctors say it's supposed to. I guess I just represent the norm. However, I have had none of the expected negative side effects, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness. And, several minor problems that have bothered me for some time have/are clearing up. An indication that the chemo is working the way it's supposed to. I go back on the 10th for my next infusion. I'm looking forward to it. I just have to remember to be patient, and let this treatment work. Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. mikey

Prayers for you & family. It's the pits when you're feeling puny & then everything needs to get done/fixed.
    Whatever!

You, Sir, are a testament to Faith! I revel in your reports. I lament the bad days with you, but rejoice in the good ones as well!

May God continue to keep you, bless you and see to your ongoing well being!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mikem1a

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rompin Ruger View Post
    You, Sir, are a testament to Faith! I revel in your reports. I lament the bad days with you, but rejoice in the good ones as well!

May God continue to keep you, bless you and see to your ongoing well being!

Keep the Son in your eyes, Mikem1a
    I couldn't have said it better. Praying for you Mikem1a. You are helping more people than you realize.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Glad to hear your doing ok, I know you can make it thru these little tests of life and come out the otherside like new.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like it's time to get out the liver, Mike! Liver and onions, liverwurst, etc. to build up the iron in your blood. Hope you like it! Hang in there.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast